Old December 18th 06, 01:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default looking for 2-meter yagi

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 17:55:44 -0500, "merlin-7"
wrote:

This is the problem I want to avoid, I could build my own but I do not have
the time as in the next 6 months or so I will be moveing to NC and most of
my time is used up in painting etc. the home I am in now, getting ready to
sell it.
I need an antenna that can make contact with some of the repeartes here in
SC. (as band conditions permit)
I can, at times, get into some of the NC repeaters on my coliner vertical
at 50'. I was hopeing with a good beam at 70' (from NC) that I could
increase the odds...
Still looking for a good 2-m beam
Joe

You may regret the beam for repeater work. I live in the Greensboro
area and have found that even a tower mounted Ringo brings up too many
machines on a given frequency. Just about any tower mounted antenna
will work into the Mt Mitchell machine and there fore SC!

The real wonder of it all is so many repeaters and so little
activity...

John Ferrell W8CCW
Old December 18th 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

What you are looking to do is more effected by antenna hiegth than gain. I
live on the NC/SC border and 25 watts into a vertical will get me full
quieting into most reapaters within my horizon,. more power or gain doesnt
help much. The Mt Mitchell Machine ROCKS. Was involved in a ragchew one
night with guys from 7 or 8 different states at least.

Old December 18th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

A bit of a story here but after you read it, maybe someone can make a
suggestion on the best way to approach this.

Currently, I have a 2-m collinear up 52 feet, fed with LMR-600 The rig is
a yaesu ft-2800m at 65 watts.
When I move to Richlands NC. I plan on moving it up to around 80 feet,
maybe higher if $$$ permits.
Right now, I can only get into the 146.820 when the band opens up. maybe
once a week .( I am pretty sure it is in Wilmington but the antenna on that
repeater is somewhere around 1,600 ft, or so they say) but it does cover the
richlands, Jacksonville area.
There is no way that I can get an antenna up high enough (after I move to
the new QTH, to any kind of line-of-site to any of the repeaters here, near
Charleston SC. However, the whitehall repeater is about 500ft and the
greeleyville repeater is up about 900ft.
What would you all do to increase your odds of getting into a reapeater at
that distance?

Just go as high as possible? add a yagi or stack some yagis?

Pray to the DX gods?

Any suggestions?

Thanks joe...

Old December 18th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"merlin-7" wrote in message
[...]

Unless you are on a high mountain, anything over 100 miles will be very
difficult to work into the Charleston area. . If you do get your antenna
up high enough to work the repeaters over 100 miles away, you will probably
be very unpopular as you will probablay be keying up several other repeaters
, or if they are using subaudio tones it can still cause problems.

What is the distance to the repeaters you will be trying to work?

How does that meter work? Antonio Vernucci Antenna 9 December 11th 06 05:41 PM
10 meter 11 meter antenna interaction Slow Code Policy 11 November 2nd 06 01:23 AM
Odd signal meter phenomenon Telamon Shortwave 0 November 25th 05 04:58 PM
SWR meter kaput? Thomas Antenna 5 August 13th 04 06:44 PM
Fwd: Bible Voice A04 Schedule RHF Shortwave 1 March 16th 04 11:50 AM