Old December 17th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default looking for 2-meter yagi

I have been looking for a 2-meter yagi, around 10dbi gain or better, that
can handle 100 watts for around $100.00.
I was looking at the hy-gain vb-28fm but I do not know anything about this
antenna?

Thoughts, suggestions ?

Thanks joe

Old December 17th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

merlin-7 wrote:
I have been looking for a 2-meter yagi, around 10dbi gain or better, that
can handle 100 watts for around $100.00.
I was looking at the hy-gain vb-28fm but I do not know anything about this
antenna?

Thoughts, suggestions ?

Thanks joe

Think I would feed the it though a gamma match and 1:1 balun, or a few
turns of coax replacing the balun ...

JS
Old December 17th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Owen Duffy wrote:

Although getting rare, stainless eyebolts, etc. can be had around
hardware stores catering to fishermen running fishing boats out of small
harbors. Been years now since I have went shopping for 'em though.

With aluminum rod and some thread cutting dies, a guy could craft his
own to handle light loads.

Regards,
JS
Old December 17th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"merlin-7" wrote in
:

I have been looking for a 2-meter yagi, around 10dbi gain or better,
that can handle 100 watts for around $100.00.
I was looking at the hy-gain vb-28fm but I do not know anything about
this
antenna?

Thoughts, suggestions ?

I have a VB-214 that was a major disappointment. The eyebolts that secure
the elements didn't last two years before they were all quite rusted.

When I tried to buy a replacement set, I couldn't get a firm price
(including shipping) from MFJ.

Here is how I fixed it (albeit with a lot of labour):
http://www.vk1od.net/VB214/index.htm . From that page:

The lessons learned:

* this Hy-gain antenna had a very short service life because of
corrosion of plated steel parts used in its construction;
* replacement parts were not readily available to an Australian
buyer;
* it took longer to manufacture the replacement parts to suit the
existing antenna than it would have taken to make an antenna of a better
design from scratch; and
* critically assess the maintenance issues (eg steel components) of
an antenna of this type before purchase.

I don't know if they have changed their construction materials, I won't
take the risk on another Hy-Gain.

Owen
Old December 17th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote in
:

Owen Duffy wrote:

Although getting rare, stainless eyebolts, etc. can be had around
hardware stores catering to fishermen running fishing boats out of
small harbors. Been years now since I have went shopping for 'em
though.

With aluminum rod and some thread cutting dies, a guy could craft his
own to handle light loads.

But a smarter man might either buy a better antenna or build a better
antenna, depending on his needs and capability. I bought the VB-214
having just moved and my workshop was 300km away. Today I would build
one, but that depends on an individual's capability.

One could build an antenna from the ground up more easily than repairing
this one given the difficulty in obtaining spare parts, and use a better
boom mounting that either soundly bonds the element to the boom, or
easier, reliably insulates the element from the boom.

If Joe is interested in construction, Google around for articles
describing element attachment using heat shrink tube and hot melt glue
for an insulated element that outperforms poorly bonded elements.

BTW, the gain claims for the VB-214 seem on the high side, I don't know
if they are reliable, and the same issue may apply to the 8 element
version.

Owen

Old December 17th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

This is the problem I want to avoid, I could build my own but I do not have
the time as in the next 6 months or so I will be moveing to NC and most of
my time is used up in painting etc. the home I am in now, getting ready to
sell it.
I need an antenna that can make contact with some of the repeartes here in
SC. (as band conditions permit)
I can, at times, get into some of the NC repeaters on my coliner vertical
at 50'. I was hopeing with a good beam at 70' (from NC) that I could
increase the odds...
Still looking for a good 2-m beam
Joe

Old December 18th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"merlin-7" wrote in message
This is the problem I want to avoid, I could build my own but I do not
have
the time as in the next 6 months or so I will be moveing to NC and most of
my time is used up in painting etc. the home I am in now, getting ready to
sell it.
I need an antenna that can make contact with some of the repeartes here in
SC. (as band conditions permit)
I can, at times, get into some of the NC repeaters on my coliner vertical
at 50'. I was hopeing with a good beam at 70' (from NC) that I could
increase the odds...
Still looking for a good 2-m beam
Joe

While over your price range you may want to look at the M2 antennas. They
make a 9 element beam on a 14.5 foot boom and a smaller one for somewhat
less.

http://www.m2inc.com/index2.html

I put up the 9 element around 65 feet with the ssb set of elements (comes
with 2 sets of elements and you use the set for the end of the band you want
to use). It may pay to spend a little more for a good antenna that will
stay up than to replace one in 5 years. The antenna elements mount through
the boom on the plastic insulators. If made out of the same kind as the KLM
or Rutlan antennas I have used in the past , they should hold up for a long
time.

Also don't forget to use some good coax. I used the Bury-flex type. I just
don't like the copper coated aluminum of the LMR 400.

Old December 18th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Owen Duffy wrote:
John Smith wrote in
:

Owen Duffy wrote:

[...]

Most likely, truth in everything you covered there Owen. And you are
correct, I have blown much money on antennas, but never had one work
better than those I constructed myself (and this was true even if they
did not work as well! grin)

I have had good luck with antenna construction. Ones own work,
attention to detail and use of excellent materials easily defeat those
antennas made with only a profit in mind.

Warmest regards,
JS
Old December 18th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 17:55:44 -0500, "merlin-7"
wrote:

This is the problem I want to avoid, I could build my own but I do not have
the time as in the next 6 months or so I will be moveing to NC and most of
my time is used up in painting etc. the home I am in now, getting ready to
sell it.
I need an antenna that can make contact with some of the repeartes here in
SC. (as band conditions permit)
I can, at times, get into some of the NC repeaters on my coliner vertical
at 50'. I was hopeing with a good beam at 70' (from NC) that I could
increase the odds...
Still looking for a good 2-m beam
Joe

You may regret the beam for repeater work. I live in the Greensboro
area and have found that even a tower mounted Ringo brings up too many
machines on a given frequency. Just about any tower mounted antenna
will work into the Mt Mitchell machine and there fore SC!

The real wonder of it all is so many repeaters and so little
activity...

John Ferrell W8CCW
Old December 18th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

What you are looking to do is more effected by antenna hiegth than gain. I
live on the NC/SC border and 25 watts into a vertical will get me full
quieting into most reapaters within my horizon,. more power or gain doesnt
help much. The Mt Mitchell Machine ROCKS. Was involved in a ragchew one
night with guys from 7 or 8 different states at least.

How does that meter work? Antonio Vernucci Antenna 9 December 11th 06 06:41 PM
10 meter 11 meter antenna interaction Slow Code Policy 11 November 2nd 06 02:23 AM
Odd signal meter phenomenon Telamon Shortwave 0 November 25th 05 05:58 PM
SWR meter kaput? Thomas Antenna 5 August 13th 04 06:44 PM
Fwd: Bible Voice A04 Schedule RHF Shortwave 1 March 16th 04 12:50 PM