Old December 21st 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Simple FM Antenna, C. Crane, Radio Your Way (Pogo) and Radio Shark(RS)

I had an occasion to talk with C. Crane today, and got onto the topic of an
FM Antenna for small digital radios. I have the two mentioned in the Subject
line. The agent menioned using just a sinple 5' wire for this purpose.

I've not had good luck getting FM reception with RS, and have tried a simple
dipole without much luck. I live in the Sierra Foothills at 2700', and the
trouble is with stations in the Sacramento area (60 mi) and Chico (75 mi).
It occurred to me the simple 5' single wire antenna provided with Pogo has
been very effective in improving FM reception, so I put it on RS. Practially
no difference with or without it. What's up with that?

Note that RS looks like shark fin, and has a built in FM and AM antenna, and
a jack to plug in an external FM antenna. The RS is plugged into a USB port
and it is very much like Tivo but for radio.
Old December 23rd 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

W. Watson wrote:

I had an occasion to talk with C. Crane today, and got onto the topic of
an FM Antenna for small digital radios. I have the two mentioned in the
Subject line. The agent menioned using just a sinple 5' wire for this
purpose.

I've not had good luck getting FM reception with RS, and have tried a
simple dipole without much luck. I live in the Sierra Foothills at
2700', and the trouble is with stations in the Sacramento area (60 mi)
and Chico (75 mi). It occurred to me the simple 5' single wire antenna
provided with Pogo has been very effective in improving FM reception, so
I put it on RS. Practially no difference with or without it. What's up
with that?

Note that RS looks like shark fin, and has a built in FM and AM antenna,
and a jack to plug in an external FM antenna. The RS is plugged into a
USB port and it is very much like Tivo but for radio.

A simple way of stating what I'm after is why does a simple 5' wire work
better on one FM radio than another, when both radios are used from the same
spot? In fact, why does a simple 5' wire work almost as well as a folded dipole?

"It is better to be “approximately right” rather than
“exactly wrong." -- John Tukey, Statistican
--
Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews
Old December 23rd 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"W. Watson" wrote in message
et...
[...]

FM signals have a wavelength around 3 meters, so a quarter wave whip antenna
would be in the range of 75 cm long. Not fitting that into the fin, are we?
A built-in is a bad-deal compromise for FM.

How was your "simple dipole" connected to the RS? With two wires, perhaps
one to the FM antenna terminal and the other to common on the radio? You
don't say whether the jack was a coaxial jack or just a single-conductor pin
jack.

Not every antenna needs to be connected with two wires to work, but it's
true for the ones that work the best on FM broadcast. They're either coax
or twinlead -- two conductors either way. If EXT FM ANT is just a pin jack,
I'd get to the common electrically by soldering a wire to the negative
battery terminal and running it out of the case to connect to one of the
antenna leads. A cap in that lead will isolate any DC path off the antenna
jack.

A folded dipole is common antenna for FM -- easy to build, easy to hang on
the wall or tape on a stick for elevating outside a window. First ones I
ever saw were on my high school A/V Dept televisions. Cut for Channel 13,
the local educational station, and taped to a stick. Worked.

Old December 25th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Sal M. Onella wrote:

"W. Watson" wrote in message
et...

[...]

As far as I can tell, the "simple" dipole is a single strand of wire wrapped
in plastic. It's supplied by the Pogo mfger. In the shark it plugs into a
single antenna socket for an external. For the Pogo it plugs into what is
called the phones socket. The question remains. Why does this simple wire
work reasonably well in one radio device but not the other? The connection
looks snug in both cases.

See http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/radioshark2/ and
http://www.ccrane.com/radios/am-fm-radios/pogo-radio-yourway-lx/index.aspx.
I'm not sure the shark page is functioning properly. I don't see a picture
at the top, which I've seen before. The antenna socket is near the USB wire
on the vertical section of the fin. A picture of the antenna wire is buried
in the manual for Pogo.

Old January 2nd 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 2006-12-24 17:39:03 -0800, "W. Watson" said:
As far as I can tell, the "simple" dipole is a single strand of wire
wrapped in plastic. It's supplied by the Pogo mfger. In the shark it
plugs into a single antenna socket for an external. For the Pogo it
plugs into what is called the phones socket. The question remains. Why
does this simple wire work reasonably well in one radio device but not
the other? The connection looks snug in both cases.

With the radio shark, that jack is actually a headphone jack that
doubles as an external antenna jack. Sounds to me like the Pogo does
the same thing.

--
-=Elden=-
http://www.moondog.org