Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 1st 07, 12:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Acceptable Lightning Ground?

I would like to propose a grounding arrangement for my [hypothetical]
antenna and get some feedback on it. I have access to the solid-copper
cold-water pipe that enters my home through the basement wall close to
the basement floor. This pipe is used [in addition to cold water] for
the service entrance [circuit breaker box] ground. I was thinking of
putting an antenna outside on a pole and running the coax into the
basement. Then I would strip back several inches of the outer jacket
of the coax [axposing the braided shield] and connect the coax braid to
the cold water pipe using several hose clamps. This should ground the
coax directly to the service ground - the single point ground for the
house. I would add an arrester near the ground point. I would then run
the coax upstairs [about 10 feet] to the radio, where it would [via the
PL-259] connect to the transceiver chassis. The radio chassis will be
electrically bonded to peripheral equipment chassis'.

It seems that in the unlikely event [low altitude, semi-urban area]
that the antenna were struck by lightning, the energy [albeit
significant] would have no reason to propagate up to my station. Even
though it may elevate my house ground by thousands of volts [with
respect to some other ground point], the station should ride up with it
- and little current should flow in the coax at the station.

Am I whistling Dixie?

Thanks,

-JJ

Yacht Rf ground and radials Will Antenna 53 May 31st 06 04:22 AM
Safety ground versus RF ground for a 2nd Floor shack jawod Antenna 11 March 14th 06 02:38 AM
Grounding A Radio ? Robert11 Shortwave 3 February 13th 06 08:26 AM
Lightning and Grounding [email protected] Antenna 16 March 3rd 05 03:49 PM
lightning protection Mark Keith Shortwave 0 August 1st 04 09:51 AM