Old January 5th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default help with mounting on-glass ant on 2005 Toyota 4Runner

Hi Gang,

Could someone help me with advice on mounting an dual band on-glass
antenna on my 4Runner. I have heard that you cannot mount on-glass
antennas on auto-glass with metal in them, so has any one else mounted
a on-glass antenna on their 4Runner of similar year? I guess I don't
want to use a trunck mount since it will dig into the paint on the
underneath of the trunk and I will get rust with the salty Hawaii
climate. Any suggestions?

Aloha and 73,
Scott

Old January 6th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 13:40:31 -0800, Scoot wrote:

Hi Gang,

Could someone help me with advice on mounting an dual band on-glass
antenna on my 4Runner. I have heard that you cannot mount on-glass
antennas on auto-glass with metal in them, so has any one else mounted
a on-glass antenna on their 4Runner of similar year? I guess I don't
want to use a trunck mount since it will dig into the paint on the
underneath of the trunk and I will get rust with the salty Hawaii
climate. Any suggestions?

On glass antennas are fine, not as good as an antenna in the middle of a
metal roof, but make up for not having to tear half of the interior
loose (I've installed many of these antennas on our commercial fleet over
the past few years). You are correct that any metalized coating of the
glass will diminish or prevent transfer of energy from the inside box to
the antenna. The installation instructions warn against installing on
metallized glass or mounting over defroster strips.

The question is whether the windows on your 4 Runner are metalized.

Another option is a magnet mount on the roof. About a year ago I got
tired of my Larsen 2m/440 colinear getting knocked over going in and out
of the garage. I looked around and bought a Pro-Am MO144-440 which seems
to be a 1/4 on 2m with a center open air coil for matching on 440, I
assume. I don't travel extensively so it works well for my purposes.

- Nate

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds,
the pessimist fears this is true."