Old March 26th 07, 03:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Best tiny directional antenna to get 500m range with at most 100mW at 150MHz?

Hello all,

I'm trying to make a carfinder, where a pocket-sized, keyring-attached
transmitter sends a signal to a car, the car sends a reply, and the
carfinder shows some kind of signal strength indication. Do this as
the operator turns in a circle, and he should have an idea of where he
left his car in the carpark.

In Australia, it is legal to use 150MHz for any purpose, so long as the
output is limited to 100mW. I've found a pre-made transmitter unit for
that frequency and power (which gets 10km with a good antenna), but I'm
a novice to radio in general and am looking for pointers to information
on choosing the right kind of antenna to that is small enough to fit.

In the car, I don't have much more space (I could use the car's antenna
instead), but it would need to be omnidirectional.

Thankyou for your time.

Old March 26th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 02:35:51 GMT, "David Hooker"
wrote:

Hi David,

Presumably, you are speaking of
a pocket-sized, keyring-attached

receiving antenna too, such that it can resolve the point of
transmission to a fairly narrow region.

It would take an especially large pocket to accomplish (not even a
'roo's). Such a design demands complexity in the form of volume at
the scale of 2 meters. You are off by a scale of 100 or so. Perhaps
if your frequency was set to 15GHz....

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 26th 07, 05:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

Hi David,

Presumably, you are speaking of
a pocket-sized, keyring-attached

receiving antenna too, such that it can resolve the point of
transmission to a fairly narrow region.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I always forget something when Usenet
posting. Sorry.

It would take an especially large pocket to accomplish (not even a
'roo's). Such a design demands complexity in the form of volume at
the scale of 2 meters. You are off by a scale of 100 or so. Perhaps
if your frequency was set to 15GHz....

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Ahhh. OK, if I can legally call this a "radiodetermination
transmitter" then I can use up to 25W (!) at 7.6-7.7GHz; otherwise the
highest frequency I can use is 2.4-2.425GHz at 100mW.

But if I'm in a carpark and I'm using such a high frequency (please
excuse me, I'm a novice) but wouldn't I have trouble with reflections
from the metal of the cars and concrete around me?

Old March 26th 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 04:27:01 GMT, "David Hooker"
wrote:

Ahhh. OK, if I can legally call this a "radiodetermination
transmitter" then I can use up to 25W (!) at 7.6-7.7GHz; otherwise the
highest frequency I can use is 2.4-2.425GHz at 100mW.

But if I'm in a carpark and I'm using such a high frequency (please
excuse me, I'm a novice) but wouldn't I have trouble with reflections
from the metal of the cars and concrete around me?

Hi David,

100 mW in the 2M region is enough power to communicate with the space
shuttle. You are not lacking for power, you are lacking for scale.
Your inspiration of 7+ Ghz comes close enough to be achievable (and
using Gunn Diodes as transmission sources). However, scale will still
make the product about as long as a pencil, or the entire structure
the size of a business card. Not quite the key fob, but closer.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 26th 07, 08:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I'm
a novice to radio in general and am looking for pointers to information
on choosing the right kind of antenna to that is small enough to fit.

In the car, I don't have much more space (I could use the car's antenna
instead), but it would need to be omnidirectional.

Getting any kind of directivity at 150MHz with small aerials is very
difficult. The wavelength at 150MHz in 2m so you can see that element
lengths will be quite long. One possibility might be a ferrite rod type
antenna if you can find some vhf ferrite. Some older pagers used them so
that may be a source. However you may still struggle to get very good
directivity.

Perhaps an active solution may be a better bet. Try Googling for
Handifinder, which is basically 2 small antennas that are switched at a fast
rate, this produces a tone in the receiver which vanishes when both antennas
have equal path length to the source.

Regards
Jeff

Old March 26th 07, 09:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Jeff
writes

[...]

I found that, when using a 2m handheld (Trio 2200, therefore both
hands!), using your body as a shield can be used to give a useful
indication of where the signal is coming from.
Ian.

Old March 26th 07, 02:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

You could always use a fractal antenna! :-)

Irv VE6BP
Old March 26th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 02:35:51 GMT, David Hooker wrote:
Hello all,

I'm trying to make a carfinder, where a pocket-sized, keyring-attached
transmitter sends a signal to a car, the car sends a reply, and the
carfinder shows some kind of signal strength indication. Do this as
the operator turns in a circle, and he should have an idea of where he
left his car in the carpark.

You realise, don't you, that in a large parking lot filled with cars
(that's why you can't see yours - isn't it) you will be surounded by a
multitude of large RF reflectors?

Use your ears.
Honk the horn.
Your ears will be more directional than any
RF-with-tiny-directional-antenna-at-150mcs solution could be.

Or, get an amateur radio license and mount a large, honkin' 80M mobile
whip on it.
Use your eyes -- the *most* directional.

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
*** Killfiling google posts: http://jonz.net/ng.htm

Old March 27th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Thankyou all for your replies

Thankyou all for your replies
Old March 27th 07, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Clark wrote in
:

wrote:

Hi David,

Presumably, you are speaking of
a pocket-sized, keyring-attached

receiving antenna too, such that it can resolve the point of
transmission to a fairly narrow region.

It would take an especially large pocket to accomplish (not even a
'roo's). Such a design demands complexity in the form of volume at
the scale of 2 meters. You are off by a scale of 100 or so. Perhaps
if your frequency was set to 15GHz....

Why not, due to the close range, think inverse square law instead of
directivity? Could still be a bit confusing in an underground carpark,
but basically, the source and the receiver are close enough that a few
steps ought to make a readable difference in strength. Just walk in a
circle and keep widening it on the side where the signal is strongest and
narrowing where it is weakest. The closer you get, the less sensitivity
you need, so have some method of turning that down. And 100mw is LOTS of
power for this!

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

Directional antenna - recomendation L. M. Rappaport Dx 1 January 22nd 06 11:50 PM
Directional antenna - recomendation Doug Smith W9WI Dx 0 December 3rd 05 04:12 PM
Antenna directional Rich Swap 0 March 27th 05 05:33 AM
Directional antenna Peter Antenna 1 February 29th 04 12:32 AM
Directional antenna wanted. Peter Jason Antenna 1 October 20th 03 06:10 PM