Old June 5th 07, 08:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Radio reception, fm,am

Awl--

I posted some time ago regarding the tuning circuitry of car radios vs. home
radios/stereos.
I had long noticed much superior tuning in car radios over my home radios.
Several apparently knowledgeable people on a few radio ngs confirmed this,
even explained it, altho this went over my head.

So based on this assumption of tuning superiority, I went to *great lengths*
to remove a very nice 6-speaker stereo from a car I'm junking (1990 Mazda
929S--nice car, too, seen better days), to hook up in my shop, so I can
listen to some decent radio, instead of brain-killing Reality TV.

*Finally* accomplished said task, and, big big bummer, the reception of the
car radio in my shop/garage is even worse than my home radios/stereos!
Yet, this *same radio*, when I used to park the car this very same garage,
had great reception.

Whazzup????

And, in general, what can I do about this reception problem, since it
appears that a car stereo is not the immediate solution?
I have a 100 foot tree outside, and I'm thinking of climbing it and putting
some kind of antenna at the top.
If I did this, what would be the best thing to put up there, for as much
reception as I can get: fm, am, TV, whatever else is oscillating up there.

What is the problem here, and in much of the NYC area?. No valleys, and I
am even on a bit of a hill, about 10 mi. from Manhattan.
What are my options? Preferably simple/cheap options, but at this point,
I'll try pretty much anything.

When I was a kid (in NYC), I calculated wavelengths, etc, and had antennas
"cut to size" for the various FM stations I was listening to, in all kinds
of orientations. Musta had about 30 antennas taped up in my room. It was
hilarious, BUT I got good reception, and LOTS of stations!
Those same dipole-type antennas are near-useless here.

TIA.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Old June 6th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:
*Finally* accomplished said task, and, big big bummer, the reception of the
car radio in my shop/garage is even worse than my home radios/stereos!
Yet, this *same radio*, when I used to park the car this very same garage,
had great reception.

Been decades since I have taken a car radio and placed it in a cabinet
with its' own speaker(s), power supply, etc. and created a "Miracle Kludge."

However, if I remember correctly, I found the same as you, poor
reception--until I tuned the antenna adjusting capacitor (was a hole on
the back of the radio turned with a screw driver.) It then turned out
to be the most sensitive am set I ever owned (well, for one without a
long-wire antenna attached.)

The antenna is part of an "antenna system" of which, the car body is a
part with much influence ... ditch the car body and you have to readjust
the antenna.

Regards,
JS

Old June 6th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Good info.

You bring up another interesting point--
Just how is the radio itself connected to the car body/aerial antenna?
Simple ground?

So many wires going to this radio, not entirely clear what's going on.
What I thought was positive and negative wires turned out to be two
positives!!
And both necessary!
Hate to tell you how long it took to figure *that* out!
There are *two* ground wires, which look like shielded antenna wires. Who
knows.....

I will look for that tuning screw. Is it insulated?
--
------

Old June 6th 07, 03:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

The ground, for the antenna, was at the base of the old style
telescoping whip. The ground connection to the body was through the
mount on the whip, where the mount gripped the hole in the car body.

Insulated? No, it was a plain mica cap. The screw on cap was probably
chrome plated brass ...

I have wondered if the "in glass" antenna on the cars could be replaced
with the old whip and what sort of tuning was available on the new car sets.

On my buick park avenue, there is, what appears to be, an active
antenna--it is a little plastic box attached near the rear view mirror,
compass and gps.

I have seen some car radios which have been removed from autos and the
terminal strips with all the wire connections do appear as a nightmare.
I'd certainly desire a schematic and pin-out to tinker with one. I
never bothered to look for the antenna trimmer though ... perhaps you
must remove the case these days?

JS
Old June 6th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

If all else fails, an active antenna should give that radio real "ears."

http://guests.antennex.com/rooms/sci...ew/incred2.pdf

JS

Old June 17th 07, 02:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith I wrote:
Proctologically Violated©® wrote:

If all else fails, an active antenna should give that radio real "ears."

http://guests.antennex.com/rooms/sci...ew/incred2.pdf

JS

Someone just pointed out to me that antennax now requires a username and
password to access that page.

I placed a copy on a URL of mine:

http://assemblywizard.tekcities.com/incred2.pdf

it is a ~640Kb .pdf file, you will need adobe reader.

JS