Old June 13th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Cleaning an aluminum antenna

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 10, 4:00 am, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:
I have Cushraft 2m vertical antenna made out of aluminum. It has been
sitting out in the weather for 10 years and could use a good cleaning.

Anyone have any suggestions for common household products that would
do the job?

Thanks,

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog athttp://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

hi Geof, i have always uses a nebch-grinder with a wire wheel,it will
clean up the alluminium like new .....or even steel wool will do the
trick ....

bob vk4la

I tried steel wool on AL once. It left little bits of the wool imbeded in
the AL that soon rust.

Jimmie

Old July 3rd 07, 12:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
I have Cushraft 2m vertical antenna made out of aluminum. It has been
sitting out in the weather for 10 years and could use a good cleaning.

Anyone have any suggestions for common household products that would
do the job?

Thanks,

Geoff.

I have taken aluminum antennas apart and cleaned the parts with a green
'scrubby' or Scotchbrite pad. it cleans the oxidation off well except if
it is really pitted. After all the parts are clean and shiny, reassemble
the antenna and adjust it for the frequency desired. After all is
working well, clearcoat the assembled antenna with clear spraypaint.
This also goes for the antenna connections as well. I tape them really
well with scotch 88 electrical tape and then clearcoat the assy. I was
in the commercial radio business awhile ago and learned this trick. The
paint seals the aluminum from the elements and also seals any tiny holes
that may be in the wrapping job. 73's Steve KA1LHZ