Old February 8th 04, 05:51 PM
Eric

Default Rotator recommendations

OK I know this isnt the TV antenna forum, however I believe you all
had better knowledge then the average "TV antenna" person. Anyway,
I'm looking for a rotator that will not shift in the wind, I have a 3
stack antenna, mounted approx 25 feet in the air. There is a
dedicated FM wineguard antenna at the top, a large dish style UHF only
antenna beneath it and a dedicated VHF only channel master beneath
that. My problem now is the antenna shifts in the wind. There is an
older Channel Master rotator on there now. From what I've read it does
not have any mechanical brakes.

The rotator is located about midway on the "base support pole" which
is supported by the chimney of the house, mounted in concrete, and has
3 guy wires attached to the top. So for a good 10 feet or so, the 2
masts run side by side.

I thought about the Channel Master model that is remote controlled,
however I dont know if it has the brakes either. I need one that will
hold its position. Any help would be great.
Old February 8th 04, 06:41 PM
Cecil Moore

Eric wrote:
I thought about the Channel Master model that is remote controlled,
however I dont know if it has the brakes either. I need one that will
hold its position. Any help would be great.

Do a web search for "YAESU rotors" and peruse their models.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 8th 04, 07:28 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

For something more rugged than a TV rotator, get the Yaesu model ( G400 ?)
that sells for about $240. Anything bigger is probably gross overkill. Check
out www.hamradio..com , www.aesham.com , and www.texastowers.com . A side
benefit you get with the Yaesu is a real control box, not a clacker. You
might be able to find one used. Also, same for an Alliance HD73.

Tam/WB2TT
om...

Old February 8th 04, 07:41 PM
Howard

The HD73 would certainly handle the weight & windload for the setup
mentioned. However, it mounts to a rotor plate - don't know if there
is a mast mount for it like some of the Hy-Gain's I've seen. I have
an old HD73 and control box that isn't in use and I don't have a
projected need - if wanted by anyone here I'd let it go cheap.
Howard

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 14:28:17 -0500, "Tarmo Tammaru"
wrote:

For something more rugged than a TV rotator, get the Yaesu model ( G400 ?)
that sells for about $240. Anything bigger is probably gross overkill. Check
out www.hamradio..com , www.aesham.com , and www.texastowers.com . A side
benefit you get with the Yaesu is a real control box, not a clacker. You
might be able to find one used. Also, same for an Alliance HD73.

Tam/WB2TT
. com...

Old February 9th 04, 05:42 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

"Howard" wrote in message
The HD73 would certainly handle the weight & windload for the setup
mentioned. However, it mounts to a rotor plate - don't know if there
is a mast mount for it like some of the Hy-Gain's I've seen. I have
an old HD73 and control box that isn't in use and I don't have a
projected need - if wanted by anyone here I'd let it go cheap.
Howard

Howard,

You must have thrown away your lower mast support. I rejuvenated my old
HD73, and presently have it on a chimney mount with 1-3/8 Al pipe, holding
up a 432 MHz antenna. Prior to that, the HD73 was for 20 years on a tubular
Wilson tower, supporting a small tribander and a KLM 7 element 6m beam.

Tam/WB2TT

Old February 10th 04, 04:08 AM
Howard

On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:42:55 -0500, "Tarmo Tammaru"
wrote:

"Howard" wrote in message
.. .
The HD73 would certainly handle the weight & windload for the setup
mentioned. However, it mounts to a rotor plate - don't know if there
is a mast mount for it like some of the Hy-Gain's I've seen. I have
an old HD73 and control box that isn't in use and I don't have a
projected need - if wanted by anyone here I'd let it go cheap.
Howard

Howard,

You must have thrown away your lower mast support. I rejuvenated my old
HD73, and presently have it on a chimney mount with 1-3/8 Al pipe, holding
up a 432 MHz antenna. Prior to that, the HD73 was for 20 years on a tubular
Wilson tower, supporting a small tribander and a KLM 7 element 6m beam.

Tam/WB2TT

Tam,
Picked this up second hand (sight unseen) along with a 6 foot roof
tower - one of those "too good a deal to pass up & I'll find a use
someday" deals. Ended up getting something I don't need, sounds like
the original owner must have pitched the lower mast support.

How long is your 432 antenna, even with a long boom the HD73 probably
doesn't even "work up a sweat" turning it 8-}

Howard KE6MAK
Old February 10th 04, 04:33 AM
Tarmo Tammaru

It's only 14 feet. But using the existing HD73 was cheaper than buying a new
rotator, even if it is overkill. I had rebuilt the HD73 after changing the
main rotator to a G1000. The tower is too far for UHF, unless I used Heliax.
Chimney is 8 feeet from the rig.

Tam/WB2TT
"Howard" wrote in message
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:42:55 -0500, "Tarmo Tammaru"
wrote:

.. .