Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 9th 07, 03:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Need help... End-fed, long wire or ????

Hey, here's a question for you antenna heads..... I've googled and not found
much but a million opinions
and ideas on which is better so I thought I'd come here and lay out the
situation and get some advice.

I want to put an HF radio back in the house.

I only have a small yard and pesky neighbors.

I want to operate ham and MARS freqs.

I need to be somewhat incognito. A tower is out, and a big vertical is
questionable.
I don't like the radial issue as I live on solid rock, nor the price issues.

My only option is to go out back... zero yard but a hillside that is almost
limitless,
however; I live on top of a ridge so the hills all go downward. I'm assuming
a long wire in the treetops or similar is my only hope.
[very few trees are higher than my house up here, LOL]

SO... if you only had one direction to throw an antenna out, but could arrow
a 300 footer through the treetops if need be,
what would you do? Which style antenna would be best? Random or folded or ?
I'm assuming end-fed is my only option here, with only one direction to go.
[Southerly]

I'm considering a manual tuner in the shack, or auto-tuner like a marine
unit that I could remote in the attic and coax up to it then wire to
outside.

Is there a better way?? Ideas? Input?
thanks for the help!
Woody

Long wire help Ron[_2_] Antenna 1 June 9th 07 09:51 PM
Long wire to SO-239 50 ohm? David Shortwave 17 February 4th 07 02:22 PM
Long wire to SO-239 50 ohm? The Late Arky Bob Shortwave 0 January 25th 07 04:20 PM
Wire Antenna Element s : Five Foot (5') Long -=V=- Fifty Foot (50') Long RHF Shortwave 0 October 16th 05 12:46 PM
Long Wire or Long Dipole JEFF UK Shortwave 16 January 28th 04 02:55 AM