Old July 16th 07, 07:22 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

Default How I would like to change the cell phone industry [was AM electromagnetic waves: 20 KHz modulation frequency on an astronomically-low carrier frequency]

DTC hath wroth:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Egads. I'm cleaning house and found a large box of 40 year old
Motrash control heads and cables. Want some junk?

Slacker...I tossed out all my old Moto stuff years ago. Last time I played
with the Motorola line was around the Micors came out. i used a few of them
for tower top UHF repeaters

The local hams still have ancient junk pretending to be repeaters and
such.
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com/k6bj/
I built most of it out of Micor mobiles and base stations. Since the
Micor stake pin connectors are chronically intermittent, there's a
large rubber hammer in each rack to bang on each radio to reseat the
connectors.

Since no sane person keeps such old parts around, I get to stock old
radios and pieces at my house. When the local comm shop cleaned out
their ancient Motorola parts pile, I ended up with most of their old
parts. I think it's time for a general purge, which means either eBay
or the scrap metal recyclers.

What I find amusing is that many police and fire departments rebuild
antique or vintage police cars and engines. They eventually want a
genuine Motorola twin coffin or 80D radio for the vehicle. I've
supplied about 4 of these radios (working) for various projects. The
first step is to spray the crumbling rubber insulated wiring with
clear acrylic to prevent further deterioration. Getting the radios
working is fairly easy as I have all the old test sets and some docs.
The fun part for me is watching the current crop of comm techs trying
to install the monster case in the vehicle. What do I do with all
this big fat cable is usually the first question.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 16th 07, 07:39 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.internet.wireless
msg msg is offline

Default Gas Tube Noise Source WAS: How I would like to change...

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

I have a fluorescent lamp calibrated noise source that's quite noisy
well into the GHz range.

snip
I built it myself from an article in some long lost magazine
perhaps 30 years ago. It's just a 5watt fluorescent tube, with a few
turns of wire wrapped around it going to a broadband CATV amplifier.

I was quite excited by the acquisition of a CATV distrib. amp as a
giveaway at a local hamfest earlier this spring; I modified it to
accept external power and use BNC connectors and produced a hand-
drawn schematic which I will 'capture' when time permits and post
together with photos. I have used it as a front end to a freq.
counter and an oscilloscope and without it I could not have completed
several projects.

These units are so handy it is a wonder that (at least on the Web) there
has been little mention of their experimental uses.

BTW, which of the numerous newsgroups in this miserably cross-posted thread do
you regularly read?

Regards,

Michael
Old July 16th 07, 07:45 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Bob Myers wrote:

wrote in message
You're assuming he ever did anything more than assemble a list of
technical buzz words to string together at random.

In this same spirit, I have decided how I would like to change the
electric toaster industry.

I believe that henceforth, all electric toasters should be made from
polished unobtainium with "Q"-shaped dilithium heating elements,
as it is obvious that this results in more even toasting of the bread
and an undeniably higher-fidelity output. Further, the toasted bread
should be ejected by carefully-aligned cavorite lifters, timed by
observing both the thermal state of the bread (detected through
counts of left-hand circular polarized neutrino emissions) and the
state of a resublimated thiotimoline crystal being exposed to the
transverse-modulated IR spectrum.

Discuss!

Bob "The New Radium" M.

But will such a scheme work with bagels and, more importantly, only
toast one side?

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old July 16th 07, 08:00 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

"Bob Myers" hath wroth:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
.. .
audience. My guess(tm) is that reality and accurate science are
fundamentally boring,

I think a lot of people perceive them as such, but that
perception is, without fail in my experience, the result of
a nearly-complete ignorance of these subjects on the parts
of those people.

Have you ever attended a meeting or event about something you really
don't care about? The lady friend has dragged me to horse shows, dog
shows, cat shows, and various cultural events, where it was a major
accomplishment for me to stay awake. Yet to her, it was the highlight
of excitement and of great interest. In other words, science and
technology may be interesting to you and I, but to many, it's just a
big boring waste of their time.

There's also the problem of what pretends to be education. Ask even
the most basic physics question to a member of the GUM (great unwashed
masses), and you'll get some rather strange answers. Jay Leno likes
to do that on the streets. My version of this is to watch a movie
thriller and try to find the physical impossibilities. I got my
introduction to this while attending the movie "The Poseidon
Adventure", set in a capsized ocean liner. In attendance was a horde
of engineering students from the Naval Postgraduate School in
Monterey. I caught a few of the howlers, but they were seeing much
more wrong with the physics. Since then, I've made it a pointing out
the impossibilities to the point where none of my friends will sit
through a movie with me. So much for the joy of physics.

(...)Most of
what passes for interesting material on the Art Bell show
would be kicked out as too dull, too unimaginative, and/or too
mundane by any decent science-fiction editor.
Bob M.

Wrong. Science fiction has mutated into social adventure, space
opera, and historical fantasy. I haven't seen any really technical
science fiction in many years. The reason is that reality just
doesn't sell, while fantasy and nonsense sell quite well. One of my
friends is fairly well know multidisciplinary scientist, who gets his
thrills seeing his name appear on the credits for perhaps 300 msec.
For this honor, he acts as scientific advisor to several movie makers
and TV shows. In private, he complains that he is almost universally
ignored and is only asked if doing this or that physical impossibility
is "believable". He refers to the process as tele-gullibility. Even
NASA gets into the act. I was watching a simulation of a rocket to
Mars, complete with the sound of the rocket motors whizzing by the
moon. Too bad there's no air around to conduct the sound. Oh well.

The Art Bell show was the latest manifesting of the old circus "geek
show", where weird people, animals, and objects were presented as
real. Nothing really new except that now the presenting is done by
the audience. In the case of usenet news, there is no circus and
everything comes from the audience.

The real danger of all this is NOT in the average readers inability to
distinguish between reality and rubbish, but in the intellectual
establishment declaring that they have a monopoly on knowledge. When
science and physics gets to the point that it can't handle any
critical nonsense, fantasy, speculation, or even lunacy, then it runs
a high risk of ossifying progress into dogma. I would prefer
tolerating Art Bell with the hope that one small kernel of something
new might emerge, than to summarily dismiss all his rantings as
unscientific hogwash. Just think of how much science fiction has
inspired rather than predicted technical progress. Your choice.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 16th 07, 08:11 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.internet.wireless

msg hath wroth:

I built it myself from an article in some long lost magazine
perhaps 30 years ago. It's just a 5watt fluorescent tube, with a few
turns of wire wrapped around it going to a broadband CATV amplifier.

I was quite excited by the acquisition of a CATV distrib. amp as a
giveaway at a local hamfest earlier this spring; I modified it to
accept external power and use BNC connectors and produced a hand-
drawn schematic which I will 'capture' when time permits and post
together with photos. I have used it as a front end to a freq.
counter and an oscilloscope and without it I could not have completed
several projects.

Good idea. I use a 5-1000MHz CATV amplifier as an output "booster"
for my various RF signal generators. It's especially handy if I want
to talk on a repeater using my signal generator or service monitor.

These units are so handy it is a wonder that (at least on the Web) there
has been little mention of their experimental uses.

Oh, they've been around. I've seen articles on how to use them as HF
AM and SSB power amplifiers. Many HF radios use CATV amplifiers for
broadband drivers. You don't see them called CATV amps much because
they are 75 ohms in and out, while just about everything else is 50
ohms.

BTW, which of the numerous newsgroups in this miserably cross-posted thread do
you regularly read?

Read? I don't read anything, I just post answers and rants.
http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=tWGMphwAAAAGTj9X4k0U7wKkGyU8QhaBh axMG2M1PWkMtCZAt5tdxQ&hl=en
See "Recent Activity".
19,520 messages. Methinks I need a vacation, project, or something.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Old July 16th 07, 09:18 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

Bob Myers wrote:

wrote in message
You're assuming he ever did anything more than assemble a list of
technical buzz words to string together at random.

In this same spirit, I have decided how I would like to change the
electric toaster industry.

I believe that henceforth, all electric toasters should be made from
polished unobtainium with "Q"-shaped dilithium heating elements,
as it is obvious that this results in more even toasting of the bread
and an undeniably higher-fidelity output. Further, the toasted bread
should be ejected by carefully-aligned cavorite lifters, timed by
observing both the thermal state of the bread (detected through
counts of left-hand circular polarized neutrino emissions) and the
state of a resublimated thiotimoline crystal being exposed to the
transverse-modulated IR spectrum.

Discuss!

Bob "The New Radium" M.

If it will handle full grown trolls, I want the first ione! How long
before Radium would be golden brown, and ready to feed to the hogs? ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old July 16th 07, 10:31 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless
DTC DTC is offline

wrote:
But will such a scheme work with bagels and, more importantly, only
toast one side?

that'll be in the Tuesday hot fix rollout. For double density toasting, you
need to buy the upgrade assurance plan.

Old July 17th 07, 02:07 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Radium" wrote in message
oups.com...
| On Jul 15, 6:58 pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
|
| Radium hath wroth:
|
| The AM audio cause by lightning is so boring.
| All you get are clicks
| and pops.
|
| Oh no. It's much better than that. You get snap, crackle, pop,
| crash, hiss, zap, buzz, braaaaaap, and other noises, all to the
| accompanyment of loud thunder and the smell of ozone. It can also
| make the fur stand up on your back.
|
| One thing that I do like are the sharp sawtooth wave patterns that
| show up on FM video receivers whenever lightning strikes. FM video
| receivers receive Y [luminance] signals present on FM radio waves.
| Electrical disturbances affect the FM video receiver causing those
| beautifaul zapping and buzzing sawtooth patterns on the screen.

The only FM on standard TV is the audio. Video is vestigial sideband AM.

BTW my grand daughter had that figured out by the time she was 12 y.o.

Old July 17th 07, 02:42 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

On Jul 16, 9:15 am, DTC wrote:

I was not aware there was a compelling reason for analog cell phones to
stop using FM. Sounds like a solution looking for a problem.

FM audio is boring -- no entertaining high-pitched tones from solar
prominences which would definitely be heard on AM audio.

OTOH, AM video is boring. FM video is better. As I said before, the Y
[luminance] signal should be carried on an FM wave rather than an AM
wave.

Analog radio-frequency audio devices should use AM.

Analog radio-frequency video devices should use FM.