Old July 17th 07, 06:57 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

Default How I would like to change the cell phone industry [was AM electromagnetic waves: 20 KHz modulation frequency on an astronomically-low carrier frequency]

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message

When, pray tell, have you ever seen an "FM video receiver"?
Bob M.

I have one of those FM video receivers. It's my (ancient) Wavetek
3000b communications service monitor, which displays all kinds of
nifty light shows and patterns for FM. I often tune it to the WX
channel and watch the modulation on the scope display. It's kinda
hypnotic without the accompanying audio and sometimes an improvement
over what's available on TV. I guess it's TV for radio geeks.

Somehow, though, I don't think that's quite what
our boy Radium was talking about...

Bob M.

Old July 17th 07, 07:11 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
This is
the first I've heard of Spider Robinson, but will give his stuff a
look.

Spider's not as "hard tech" as some of the others have
been, but has been compared with Robert Heinlein in
overall style. (A comparison which I am very sure he
wouldn't claim himself, as RAH is a longtime hero of
Spider's.) But his stuff is just an amazing amount of plain,
unadulterated FUN. Try, especially, the "Callahan's
Saloon" stories.

Arthur C. Clarke, who, thank the FSM, is still with us and writing.

Yeah, but he can certainly beat the "2001 Space Odyssey" theme to
death. At 89, I'm really impressed that he's still working. However,
his last few books have been co-authored by Stephen Baxter and read
more like Baxter's complex writing, than Clarke's neatly clipped short
lines.

In my book, Clarke's earned the right to do whatever he damn well
pleases at this point. And he certainly has done quite a bit besides
the "2001" stuff; there's the "Rama" stories, "The Fountains of
Paradise," etc...and I don't think the work with Baxter has been all
that bad - you didn't like "The Light of Other Days"?

Ok, I'll concede the hard sci-fi hasn't gone down the tubes completely
and that there are still authors catering to a technically astute
audience. However, even the best of these (as you've itemized) tend
to drift toward the popular media, mass market, and general audience
market, which deals primarily in entertainment.

Well, as the Grand Old Man himself once noted, "Writing is like
prostitution - first you do it for love, and then for a few close friends,
and then for money." A writer who doesn't - or can't - write what
sells won't stay around long enough to write the Important Stuff,
should he or she care to do so.

invariably devoid of technology, lacking in a basis on physical
reality, and is dominated by space opera and general idiocy. For
every sci-fi author that knows his science, there are perhaps 50 that
are lacking. Little wonder that space opera predominates as it
requires very little technical expertise to write.

Again, though - Sturgeon's Law applies to EVERYTHING. No
exceptions.

Maybe that's why I like reading Mr. Radium's muddled tech rants. It's
the closest approximation to science fiction I can easily find.

But they sure don't seem to be grounded in anything even resembling
reality. If you want hard SF, and not the sort of fantasy that makes
"Star Wars" look like a physics text, you'd really have to look
elsewhere.

Reminder: None of the sci-fi authors up to about 1970, ever predicted
the rise of personal computah.

To be sure, but then, neither did anyone else. One of the nicest
things about the future is that it always is full of surprises for
everyone.

Bob M.

Old July 17th 07, 07:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

"Bob Myers" hath wroth:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
.. .

When, pray tell, have you ever seen an "FM video receiver"?
Bob M.

I have one of those FM video receivers. It's my (ancient) Wavetek
3000b communications service monitor, which displays all kinds of
nifty light shows and patterns for FM. I often tune it to the WX
channel and watch the modulation on the scope display. It's kinda
hypnotic without the accompanying audio and sometimes an improvement
over what's available on TV. I guess it's TV for radio geeks.

Somehow, though, I don't think that's quite what
our boy Radium was talking about...
Bob M.

If it's not what Mr Radium is using, it's close. Haven't you watched
the typical pre-1971 science fiction movie? The arrival of any alien
object or visitor is initially detected and displayed on a large CRT,
usually with an unstable Lissajous pattern or trivialized radar
simulation plus the requisite shrill noises and sound effects. After
seeing that demonstration, I concluded that if I was going to
personally greet the Galactic Ambassador from AlGore, I would need a
similar alien detector or communicator. The closest approximation I
could find was a communications service monitor. In order to monitor
it continuously, I decided that a 15 year career in land mobile
communications was required. I would leave it running continuously,
waiting for the voices from outer space. Unfortunately, the
ambassador is apparently distracted and I have moved on to other
professions. I still own a service monitor and still turn it on
waiting for the display to mark the arrival of the alien visitors.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 17th 07, 07:15 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

These daze, I have to do more than look. I have to dig, excavate, and
filter to find it. However, I found a suitable replacement about 10
years ago. I was reading dot com business plans. Not only was I
being paid to rip them apart, but the products and services were some
of the best science fiction I had ever read. The authors of some of
those business plans really should be writing sci-fi stories. I
really miss the passing of the dot com era and the tremendous
technical imagination that helped make it happen.

Reminds me of a meeting held at a large, prominent aerospace company
some years back where the marketing weenie was touting the latest
air-to-air missle idea that would completely dominate the market.

He was a bit taken aback (but not deterred, which is another story) when
one of the engineers in the audience pointed out that they needed to
come up with a communications system that operated about 3 times the
speed of light to make it work.

snip remaining

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old July 17th 07, 09:05 PM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

Default How I would like to change the cell phone industry [was AM

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
. . .
Maybe that's why I like reading Mr. Radium's muddled tech rants. It's
the closest approximation to science fiction I can easily find.
. . .

Try U.S. patents. The prose style is deadly, but the descriptions of
operation are very often entertainingly fictional. For a warm-up, I
recommend "Hyper-Light-Speed Antenna" by David L. Strom, #6,025,810.
There are many more creative ones and ones based on better
pseudo-science, but that one is surely worth a read.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Old July 17th 07, 10:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

. . .
Maybe that's why I like reading Mr. Radium's muddled tech rants. It's
the closest approximation to science fiction I can easily find.

. . .

Try U.S. patents. The prose style is deadly, but the descriptions of
operation are very often entertainingly fictional. For a warm-up, I
recommend "Hyper-Light-Speed Antenna" by David L. Strom, #6,025,810.

But that one, according to the disclosure, in combination with light,
enhances plant growth. (and I suppose, if one were growing mushrooms,
one wouldn't even need the light..)

Old July 18th 07, 12:12 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

Roy Lewallen hath wroth:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
. . .
Maybe that's why I like reading Mr. Radium's muddled tech rants. It's
the closest approximation to science fiction I can easily find.
. . .

Try U.S. patents. The prose style is deadly, but the descriptions of
operation are very often entertainingly fictional. For a warm-up, I
recommend "Hyper-Light-Speed Antenna" by David L. Strom, #6,025,810.

http://www.google.com/patents?id=csYDAAAAEBAJ&dq=6,025,810
Cute. Apply DC and heat, and it goes faster than light.

Here's my candidate for the RF hype award:
"Magnetic field based power transmission line communication method and
system"
http://www.google.com/patents?id=N_sEAAAAEBAJ&dq=5982276
Uses a MASER with no visible means of coupling it to the power line to
move 2GBits/sec. Of course, it eventually went to litigation:
http://dallas.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2004/03/22/story5.html
6 Pages from Wired Magazine:
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.11/media.html
The list of suckers, er.... investors, it truely impressive.

I'll pretend not to mention commercial antennas that are sold without
any useful specifications, patterns, or simulations. That's one
reason I've often considered going into the antenna business. The
more they resemble a gold plated metallic scrap heap, the better they
sell. Few customers can see how they operate. Product comparisons
are difficult or impossible. Magic is everywhere. Yeah, the antenna
biz looks good.

There are many more creative ones and ones based on better
pseudo-science, but that one is surely worth a read.
Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Yes, but patents aren't made to be read by humans. They're made to be
read and fought over by attorneys.

I've also derived some entertainment from patents. For a while, I was
collecting what I considered to be patented impossibilities from
companies that exist mostly as a stock scam. However, I got into
legal hot water when I started to publicly suggest that their patented
technology was closer to science fiction than science. To avoid
litigation, I've had to keep my big mouth shut. I've run into some
real howlers that I would just love to offer as entertainment, but
don't need or want to risk an infestation of attorneys.

Old July 18th 07, 12:32 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

Thank you Jim. You did good, it will come around full circle, allways does!

Butch KF5DE
wrote in message
In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Radium wrote:
On Jul 1, 7:24 am, wrote in
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...0c8ed13?hl=en&
:

how would u like to change the cell phone industry?

Analog cells phones should stop using FM and should start using AM
with SHF frequencies - at least 3 GHz and at most 30 GHz.

Analog cell phones are going away.

Cell phones already use frequencies in the 3 GHz region.

You are an idiot.

snip crap

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.

Old July 18th 07, 12:46 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:45:02 GMT, wrote in
:

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Radium wrote:
On Jul 1, 7:24 am, wrote in
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...0c8ed13?hl=en&
:

how would u like to change the cell phone industry?

Analog cells phones should stop using FM and should start using AM
with SHF frequencies - at least 3 GHz and at most 30 GHz.

Analog cell phones are going away.

True.

Cell phones already use frequencies in the 3 GHz region.

False.

--
Best regards, FAQ FOR CINGULAR WIRELESS:
John Navas http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Cingular_Wireless_FAQ
Old July 18th 07, 01:05 AM posted to sci.electronics.basics,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.internet.wireless

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna John Navas wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 20:45:02 GMT, wrote in
:

In rec.radio.amateur.antenna Radium wrote:
On Jul 1, 7:24 am, wrote in
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.e...0c8ed13?hl=en&
:

how would u like to change the cell phone industry?

Analog cells phones should stop using FM and should start using AM
with SHF frequencies - at least 3 GHz and at most 30 GHz.

Analog cell phones are going away.

True.

Cell phones already use frequencies in the 3 GHz region.

False.

1.9 GHz is in the -region- of 3 GHz.

..8 GHz is not in the -region- of 3 GHz.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.