Old August 7th 07, 02:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default cutting end slots in aluminum tubing

I've used a small table saw with a finish (Trim) cutting blade. Wear
eye protection!
Old August 7th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ed wrote:

That would be ok as long as the combined width of the slots will allow
the larger tubing to be clamped to the smaller tubing. I have always
just used a hacksaw, and made slots 90° apart, making the slot length
about twice the diameter of the tubing.
73.
Bryan WA7PRC

I was figuring on making only one set of slots, 180 degrees opposite.
This tubing is quite close fitting ( a 9/1000 " difference between

inside
and outside diamters ) and will require very little compression of the
slotted end to make a tight fit, I would think.

Ed K7AAT

If slots 180° apart clamps it fine, you're done. If not, more slots or
widening of the two slots are in order.
Bryan WA7PRC.

Old August 7th 07, 02:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jay in the Mojave wrote:
Ed wrote:
Just received my order of telescoping aluminum tubing rods from Texas
Towers. Sizes range from 1" OD to smaller and all 6 feet long. I
plan on using them as a collapsible verticle on the motor home.
Before I start hack-sawing away on the ends to cut slots around which
I will place my hose clamps, does anyone here have any particular
tips or techniques to do this? I figure I'd just cut two slots with
a hacksaw about 1" or so deep. If there's a better suggestion, I'd
like to hear it before wacking away on my expensive tubes.

Ed

Hello Ed:

You may find that the hand hack saw will be difficult to control and
keep the cut straight. I use a inexpensive Band Saw, and cut the slots
approx 1 1/2 inches long. Another consideration is the cut slot width
maybe to narrow to fully close the outer tubing down on the inner
tubing. So making a another saw blade width will not hurt. Use a round
or rat tail file to deburr the inside of the tubing. Chain Saw shaping
files work quit well for this and are cheap.

You will see cheap crapp hose clamps in the home improvement stores, I
have anyway. Find a auto parts store thats sell the Breeze brand hose
clamps.

Jay in the Mojave

Yes - as I learned stainless steel worm-drive hose clamps are *the* way to
go. All have a SS band... the cheap ones have a steel screw... the better
ones have a SS screw. If you can't find 'em locally, McMaster-Carr
(http://www.mcmaster.com/) handles them in more variations than you can
think of! Hint: a dab of antiseize compound on the screw threads will keep
the screw from galling on the band (and ruining your day).
Bryan WA7PRC

Old August 8th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jay in the Mojave" wrote in message
Ed wrote:
[...]

I too vote for this mthod. Once manufactured a lot of antennas as a club
project and we made a jig that fit the band swa. Just stick the tube in the
hole and pull it out. Also tubing for the antenna was placed in a jig and
all the pieces were cutto length with one pass of a radial arm saw.

Jimmie

Aluminum tubing for vertical antenna Hank Zoeller Antenna 21 July 29th 06 08:38 PM
Looking for aluminum tubing/rod in DC/MD area [email protected] Antenna 8 February 25th 06 02:03 PM
AM Number stations on big-power SW broadcaster slots [email protected] Shortwave 1 January 30th 06 04:24 PM
Aluminum tubing? Allan Butler Antenna 49 October 14th 05 07:34 AM
Cutting your own Airy R. Bean General 0 October 10th 03 09:47 AM