Old October 6th 05, 02:27 AM
Allan Butler

Default Aluminum tubing?

Hello Everyone:

I have tried all the local metal suppliers and several in the Chicago
area to get 6061-T6 aluminum tubing from in very specific sizes. I need to
get two pieces of 1.00 inch OD with a wall thickness of 0.058 inch that are
twelve feet long. I also need to get four pieces of 7/8 inch OD by 0.049
inch wall that are twelve feet long.

Nobody that I spoke with stocks these items. Some of the big name
suppliers were down right nasty about me wanting this small quantity of
pieces.

Where would one go to get these pieces that I need to get for some
antenna projects that I want to build soon? And not pay an arm and a leg
for the privilege of owning this rare and unobtainable material.

Allan Butler
ka0ies

Old October 6th 05, 02:56 AM
Dan Richardson

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 20:27:02 -0500, Allan Butler
wrote:

Where would one go to get these pieces that I need to get for some
antenna projects that I want to build soon? And not pay an arm and a leg
for the privilege of owning this rare and unobtainable material.

Try he

http://www.texastowers.com/aluminum.htm

Danny, K6MHE

email: k6mheatarrldotnet
http://users.adelphia.net/~k6mhe/

Old October 6th 05, 03:10 AM
Tim Wescott

Allan Butler wrote:
Hello Everyone:

I have tried all the local metal suppliers and several in the Chicago
area to get 6061-T6 aluminum tubing from in very specific sizes. I need to
get two pieces of 1.00 inch OD with a wall thickness of 0.058 inch that are
twelve feet long. I also need to get four pieces of 7/8 inch OD by 0.049
inch wall that are twelve feet long.

Nobody that I spoke with stocks these items. Some of the big name
suppliers were down right nasty about me wanting this small quantity of
pieces.

Where would one go to get these pieces that I need to get for some
antenna projects that I want to build soon? And not pay an arm and a leg
for the privilege of owning this rare and unobtainable material.

Allan Butler
ka0ies

Try asking on rec.crafts.metalworking. I _think_ the one to go to is
http://www.metalexpress.net, but I've never ordered from there.

There's got to be scrap metal yards in Chicago, where you may be able to
find one or the other pieces.

If the sizes are truely oddball then you may be asking folks to order a
lot of something they'll never sell, or (heaven forbid) have made up.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Old October 6th 05, 04:12 AM
Cecil Moore

Allan Butler wrote:
Where would one go to get these pieces that I need to get for some
antenna projects that I want to build soon? And not pay an arm and a leg
for the privilege of owning this rare and unobtainable material.

I get mine from TexasTowers.com
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp
Old October 6th 05, 05:47 AM
jerry

hi allan,

http://www.mcmaster.com great online catalog,
they got everything even the kitchen sinks !
they even have local pickup if there is one in your area
to save on the truck fees.

how about ebay, lots of tubing online,
I got some nice 6063 (higher corrosion resistance)
..5 od from a guy in california.

Problem will be the ship fees, 12' is by truck.

Got to be a local place that has it.

73 tube guy

Old October 6th 05, 03:06 PM
John Ferrell

I generally go about this sort of project from a different approach.

First identify the parts that are difficult and address them first.

In this case, I would determine what materials are available to me at
a price, quality and location that I could live with. Then I would
plan around the materials.

You are more likely to find usable materials in smaller quantities
from fabricators than from distributors. Pricing can vary a lot with
aluminum because the scrap price is a long ways from junk.

People in the antenna business are a good start. Fabricators of
irrigation systems are another source.

The length of the tubing will have an effect on its price. 12 foot
lengths will cost more per foot than 8 foot lengths in many cases.
Sometimes 20 foot lengths will be the norm for some stock.

Sometimes it is worthwhile to buy a commercial product and modify it
to your needs!

Old October 8th 05, 06:21 PM
Peter

wrote:

I have tried all the local metal suppliers and several in the Chicago
area to get 6061-T6 aluminum tubing from in very specific sizes. I need to

^^^^^^^^

Why do you guys in the US always omit the "i" in aluminium ?

Alsao why a car tire instead of tyre?

Just asking ;-)

Peter, G3PHO
Old October 8th 05, 06:33 PM
Amos Keag

Because it's ALUMINUM!!!

Tyre is an ancient biblical city. Tire is that round thingee between my
automobile and the road surface.

Old October 8th 05, 08:43 PM
Bob Bob

And being even further OT

Brings further ambiguity to the term "retired" as well. (Like my 65 yo
father just had a wheel transplant)

Since I live in W5... How does one say/spell Titanium/Titanum?

I look at signs on the side of the road "Hiway" and cant for the life of
me work out what that means...

Peter, its actually said in the US how it looks. This gets real
confusing for me! (Along with driving on the WRONG side of the road! grin)

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA East Texas
(past the langauge test - can say "Y'all" easily)

Finishing Aluminum RadioGuy Homebrew 13 July 19th 05 11:01 PM
Used 80-6 HF Antenna - What Do I Have? Little O'Me Antenna 8 May 12th 05 09:56 PM
Crazy question cme Antenna 9 February 21st 04 12:29 AM
40 Foot Lengths of Irrigation Tubing - FREE Brian Kelly Antenna 4 August 25th 03 03:06 AM
Attaching wire to tubing?? Jimmy Antenna 1 July 18th 03 04:33 PM