Old August 24th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Determining Ham-M series 1 or 2 from series 3-5

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:32:24 -0500, gb wrote:

Just go to Norm's Rotor Service FAQ
http://www.rotorservice.com/faqs.htm

14. Can I use a Ham-2 rotor control box with my T2X rotor? Are the Ham-2,
Ham-3, Ham-4 and T2X control boxes interchangeable?
Yes, for the most part, all of the 8-wire rotors except for the TR-2 series
are interchangeable. You can use a TR-44 series 3; Ham-M series 3, 4, or 5;
CD-44/Ham-2; CD-44/Ham-3; Ham-4; or T2X control unit with any of the listed
rotors or vice versa. However, the Ham-M and TR-44 series 1 and 2 rotors
were wired differently and are not interchangeable with anything else. So,
trying to use a series 1 or 2 control on a newer rotor will destroy the
rotor pot instantly.

To be sure that you have one of the interchangeable controls, verify that
the motor start capacitor is across terminals 4 and 8. To verify that the
rotor is one of the interchangeable models, look for the 500-ohm pot
resistance across terminals 3 and 7. If your rotor and control unit pass
these inspections, they are interchangeable with others which also pass.

Is there a way to tell the difference between series 1-2 and series 3-5
without taking the rotor apart?

I already took the rotor apart once, to try to find some identifying marks
on it to differentiate between Ham-M and Ham-II-IV, and had one hell of a
time getting it back together... ended losing about four of the ball
bearings, then when the XYL asked what I was doing crawling around on the
floor and cursing and I showed her what I was looking for she disappeared
and came back in a few minutes with a small bowl full of ball bearings and
said "Will any of these fit?". Sure enough, they were the EXACT size.

Still had an awful time getting it back together though and I really don't
want to do it again.

So, if there is a way ... perhaps some measurements I can take with an
ohmmeter ... that will show me if I have a series 1-2 or series 3-5 that
would be a great help.

Thanks...

Old August 27th 07, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I already took the rotor apart once, to try to find some identifying marks
on it to differentiate between Ham-M and Ham-II-IV, and had one hell of a
time getting it back together... ended losing about four of the ball

The FAQ at Norm's Rotator service answers all of you questions:

http://www.rotorservice.com/faqs.htm

Tor
N4OGW

UPS in series? Ron Hardin Shortwave 19 March 12th 07 10:01 AM
FS: GE Pro Series: 6M AL G. Swap 0 December 1st 05 02:19 AM
FA : TEN TEC Series 307 Series External Speaker Dan Conti Swap 0 October 6th 05 03:42 AM
!3.8 V DC in series. Richard Antenna 24 May 1st 05 03:14 AM
WTB: RCA 77 Or 44 Series Mic [email protected] Swap 0 May 22nd 04 12:30 AM