Old September 16th 07, 11:08 AM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Default Complete Bollox? Or...Was: what makes it a balun????

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
"Malkavian" wrote in message
Hi peeps. In the last hf ssb competition a group of us put up some
antennas and a 2e0 took a length of wire, wrapped it around a bucket
seven times, removed the bucket, taped to coaxe up then put it inline
with the yagi. Now t may seem dim but to me this doesn't fit into my
cinceptions of a balun, not even one to one balun. So how was what the
2e0 made a balun?

If you aren't familiar with this type of balun and think of baluns as all
being transformer like, I can understand your question. Basically a choke
balun provides a line isolation function by virtue of the fact that any
stray current on the outside of the coax outer has no counter current in
the coax, thus it sees the coil as an inductor. Conversely, the (wanted)
signal currents (on the outside of the inner and inside of the outer)
cancel out the magnetic fields they form in the coil and thus don't see it
as an inductor.

You seem to be remarkably ignorant about the containment of the fields
within the coaxial cable, OM. Neither within the configuration of the coil
nor in straight line sections of coax do the wanted signals contribute to
any
external fields (save, perhaps, in the case of leaky feeders).

The wanted currents just do not form any magnetic fields in the coil to be
cancelled out!

Such ignorance would be an absolute disgrace if it was expressed by, say,
one
charged with the training of all candidates for Radio Hammery in Britland!

Old September 16th 07, 11:29 AM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Mrs.Nugatory's, The Minimum's, G3VKI's, M3OSN's and Mick Hunter's
Obsession" wrote in message ...
You seem to be remarkably ignorant about the containment of the fields
within the coaxial cable,

So how do YOU think the magnetic field is "contained"? You are keen to
critise other's explanations, let us see yours.

Also, if there is no magnetic field do to the "wanted" (signal) currents,
why are losses in baluns an issue? (That is one of the practical items I
hinted at.)

Old September 16th 07, 11:40 AM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Obsession" wrote in message ...

You seem to be remarkably ignorant about the containment of the fields
within the coaxial cable, OM.

So how do you think the magnetic field is "contained" in a coaxial cable?
You are keen to criticise other's offerings but offer nothing yourself.

Old September 16th 07, 11:47 AM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Obsession" wrote in message ...
You seem to be remarkably ignorant about the containment of the fields
within the coaxial cable,

So how do YOU think the magnetic field is "contained"? You are keen to
critise other's explanations, let us see yours.

This discussion is about the comments.....

" Conversely, the (wanted) signal
currents (on the outside of the inner and inside of the outer) cancel out
the magnetic fields they form in the coil and thus don't see it as an
inductor."

......which discuss non-existent fields.

The containment of the wanted fields within the coaxial cable is another,
different,
discussion.

By all means start another thread to discuss whatever cranky theory you have
about
those contained fields, but I think that you won't find anyone to support
your
pet theories!

As to "critise (sic) other's explanations", I have not criticised any
other's explanation
about the fields _WITHIN_ the coaxial cable, so your challenge is a Straw
Man!

It is always possibly that I have misunderstood what you wrote, so, as the
discussion
is very much about what you wrote, perhaps you could explain your
comments,.....

"Conversely, the (wanted) signal
currents (on the outside of the inner and inside of the outer) cancel out
the magnetic fields they form in the coil and thus don't see it as an
inductor"

......in a manner that is unambiguous? Then, perhaps, go onto another thread
to discuss your theory that the contained fields differ in operation to all
of the standard texts on the subject?

Old September 16th 07, 12:04 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Obsession" wrote in message
You seem to be remarkably ignorant about the containment of the fields
within the coaxial cable,

So how do YOU think the magnetic field is "contained"? You are keen to
critise other's explanations, let us see yours.

This discussion is about the comments.....

" Conversely, the (wanted) signal
currents (on the outside of the inner and inside of the outer) cancel out
the magnetic fields they form in the coil and thus don't see it as an
inductor."

.....which discuss non-existent fields.

The containment of the wanted fields within the coaxial cable is another,
different,
discussion.

So you don't have a better explanation, fair enough why didn't you just say
so?

Until you come up with something better, mine seems to be the one in game.

Once again Chippenham is a Foot in Mouth, technical knowledge exclusion
zone..................

By the way, I suggest you think about losses in the core of
baluns.......................

Old September 16th 07, 01:11 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Obsession" wrote in message ...
This discussion is about the comments.....
" Conversely, the (wanted) signal
currents (on the outside of the inner and inside of the outer) cancel
out
the magnetic fields they form in the coil and thus don't see it as an
inductor."
.....which discuss non-existent fields.
The containment of the wanted fields within the coaxial cable is another,
different,
discussion.

So you don't have a better explanation, fair enough why didn't you just
say so?
Until you come up with something better, mine seems to be the one in game.
Once again Chippenham is a Foot in Mouth, technical knowledge exclusion
zone..................

So, you are unable to explain your assertion and resort to rather silly and
infantile
interjections in a forlorn attempt to divert attention?

You said the following.....
" Conversely, the (wanted) signal
currents (on the outside of the inner and inside of the outer) cancel out
the magnetic fields they form in the coil and thus don't see it as an
inductor."
.....which discusses non-existent fields.

Unless you now justify your own remarks you will lose face.

No amount of bluster, spin-doctoring, side-stepping, bull****ting and
downright lying
from you will hide the fact that you are losing face.

I will be more than happy to reply with an explanation once you offer a
first explanation
of yours of your assertion quoted above. You made an assertion, I replied
with an assertion.
You want an explanation from me, you start with your own explanation

Over to you.....

(The clock is ticking, your face is reddening)

Old September 16th 07, 01:12 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Obsession" wrote in message ...
I will be more than happy to reply with an explanation once you offer a
first explanation
of yours of your assertion quoted above. You made an assertion, I replied
with an assertion.
You want an explanation from me, you start with your own explanation
Over to you.....
(The clock is ticking, your face is reddening)

Or is this to be your "e^(-jwt) is a function that decreases with t
increasing" all
over again?

"Drub, drub, drub, M3 in a tub"

Old September 16th 07, 02:02 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Crossposts to authoritarian groups (remove by the red-faced loser)
restored.....

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
"Mrs.Nugatory's, The Minimum's, G3VKI's, M3OSN's and Mick Hunter's
Obsession" wrote in message ...
You said the following.....
" Conversely, the (wanted) signal
currents (on the outside of the inner and inside of the outer) cancel
out
the magnetic fields they form in the coil and thus don't see it as an
inductor."
.....which discusses non-existent fields.

The fields still exist, they just cancel each other out.

Now, you may not see that, fine. As I've said so many times before, the
fact you don't know any better is of little matter.

Old September 16th 07, 02:04 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

Crossposts to authoritarian groups (removed by cowardly red-faced loser)
restored...

Brian, OM, you were drubbed over this some time ago.

Obsession" wrote in message ...
Or is this to be your "e^(-jwt) is a function that decreases with t
increasing" all
over again?

Don't tell me you STILL don't understand that!

Old September 16th 07, 02:31 PM posted to alt.engineering.electrical,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,uk.radio.amateur

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
"Mrs.Nugatory's, The Minimum's, G3VKI's, M3OSN's and Mick Hunter's
Obsession" wrote in message ...
You said the following.....
" Conversely, the (wanted) signal
currents (on the outside of the inner and inside of the outer) cancel
out
the magnetic fields they form in the coil and thus don't see it as an
inductor."
.....which discusses non-existent fields.

The fields still exist, they just cancel each other out.
Now, you may not see that, fine. As I've said so many times before, the
fact you don't know any better is of little matter.

And so, as the Sun sinks slowly in the West, Brian Reay M3OSN, director
of the RSCB, runs away with his tail between his legs. (_ONCE_ again!!!!!)

Perhaps it is no wonder the gangrenous degeneration of standards as
represented
by the M3/CB Fools' Licence scheme when the chief L.I.A.R. of the RSCB (a
commercial
book seller that vaunts itself, falsely, as the representative of all Radio
Hams and Short Wave
Listeners) is so mediocre both in his technical knowledge and in his
standard of debate?

Perhaps it is no wonder the decline in social behaviour when he who is
charged with the
education of youngsters demonstrates such an infantile abusive role model if
ever he
is challenged?

Sic transit gloria Mundi.