Old September 26th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default I suspect, if Einstein were given a word ...

Jim Kelley wrote:

"Foolishness is not diluted by it's own abundance." Jim Kelley

ac6xg

"Suggestions of silence cloaked in writings constructed to imply wisdom
are still only a circular path to the same ignorance."--John Smith

"The forge of true knowledge exists in the form of debated and differing
ideas."--John Smith

Regards,
JS

Old September 26th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
However, admitting ones ignorance demands they attempt to remedy it.
And, certainly demands more respect ...

I've found that leading questions, no matter how
ignorant-sounding, are a good learning tool for
everyone, including me. :-)

Example question to someone on eHam.net who says:
"All you need is a 4:1 balun placed outside the shack
at the end of the balanced line to convert to coax."

Where are you going to find a 200 ohm impedance to
match that 4:1 balun that you are recommending for
use in your non-resonant system?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old September 26th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
However, admitting ones ignorance demands they attempt to remedy it.
And, certainly demands more respect ...

I've found that leading questions, no matter how
ignorant-sounding, are a good learning tool for
everyone, including me. :-)

Example question to someone on eHam.net who says:
"All you need is a 4:1 balun placed outside the shack
at the end of the balanced line to convert to coax."

Where are you going to find a 200 ohm impedance to
match that 4:1 balun that you are recommending for
use in your non-resonant system?

With no system to tune the 200 (+/-) antenna to resonance--only at a
relatively few frequencies on the dial--unless the antenna, itself, was
only constructed for use on a relatively narrow band (or, perhaps
harmonically related narrow bands) ... sounds to me, some system of
causing resonance was implied?

However, and perhaps contrary to logic, I have seen 4:1 (2:1 to 9:1 for
that matter--and certainly "choke baluns") baluns cause a general gain
in general performance--and do this more often than not.

Forced to report just what my "eyes" have seen--I, "ignorantly", must
state--go figure ... but then again, if it walks like a duck ...

Regards,
JS
Old September 26th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jim Kelley wrote:

I think that's true. I like it.

I like this one too:

"He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know."

The Peter Sellers movie "Being There" was a clear illustration of the
consequences of applying this principle.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old September 27th 07, 12:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Jim Kelley wrote:

I think that's true. I like it.

I like this one too:

"He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know."

The Peter Sellers movie "Being There" was a clear illustration of the
consequences of applying this principle.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Perhaps I should have said "Some people just don't know when to shut
up." I think that much is true without exception. I now know that I
should have shut up about 3 posts back. :-)

ac6xg

Old September 27th 07, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jim Kelley wrote:

Perhaps I should have said "Some people just don't know when to shut
up." I think that much is true without exception. I now know that I
should have shut up about 3 posts back. :-)

ac6xg

Perhaps the problems is, no one can possibly appreciate what you say as
much as you yourself--let it be enough it pleases you! :-)

Regards,
JS
Old September 27th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Wow, you guys are really smart...

Old September 27th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Denny wrote:
Wow, you guys are really smart...

Thanks, coming from you, that is a real compliment, now isn't it? ;-)

Regards,
JS
Old September 27th 07, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:33:02 -0700, Jim Kelley wrote:

John Smith wrote:
Perhaps?

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
reality."--Albert Einstein

And, I humbly propose:

"Too often, the ignorant are quick to conceal their ignorance in
complexity not well grasped by common men."--John Smith

I think that's true. I like it.

I like this one too:

"He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know."

By that metric, the Internet has gotten less intelligent as it grew.

Who knew?

73, de Nate

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds,
the pessimist fears this is true."
Old September 28th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:

Perhaps?

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not
certain; as far as they are certain, they do not refer to
reality."--Albert Einstein

And, I humbly propose:

"Too often, the ignorant are quick to conceal their ignorance in
complexity not well grasped by common men."--John Smith

I think that's true. I like it.

I like this one too:

"He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know."

By that metric, the Internet has gotten less intelligent as it grew.

Who knew?

73, de Nate

After all, what do ancient Chinese philosophers know about the
internet? ;-)

ac6xg