Old October 6th 07, 08:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default yaesu FT-817ND without antenna tuner?

Old October 6th 07, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi, I'm a new ham, and I'm looking for my first HF transceiver. I am
considering the Yaesu FT-817ND. I did some google searches and could
not find any information about using an antenna tuner with this rig.
How can it work on all bands without a tuner? Would I need a tuner or
does the supplied antenna work on all bands without a tuner?

I'm not sure what you are referring to regarding the "supplied
antenna". The FT-817 does come with a small VHF antenna for 2 meter
operation, but like all other HF transceivers, it does not come with any
HF antenna. You can build yourself some dipole antennas for the bands
you want to operate on.... they would be resonant and have a 50 ohm
feedpoint so you would not need any tuner.... ( the output connection to
almost all radios has a 50 ohm impedance). If you want to use a non-
resonant antenna, then an outboard Tuner should work fine.... as long as
it is capable of operating at low power levels of 5Watts or less. LDG
Electronics makes some fine QRP type tuners. My old LDG Z-11 tuner
works great with my FT-817.

Ed K7AAT

Old October 6th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

The transceiver's output circuitry makes it work on each of the bands,
1.8 through 440 mhz. An antenna tuner has nothing to do with that.

If you attach a resonant antenna for a particular band, it should work
fine with the transceiver on that band. If the antenna feedline does
present a 50 ohm impedance to the transceiver, you may need an
external antenna tuner.

Bob,

Before the new ham becomes totally confused, I think your typo above
should be corrected.... If the antenna feedline does NOT present a 50
ohm impedance to the xcvr, he may need an external antenna tuner.

Ed K7AAT

Old October 7th 07, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 06 Oct 2007 22:58:16 GMT, Ed G
wrote:

The transceiver's output circuitry makes it work on each of the bands,
1.8 through 440 mhz. An antenna tuner has nothing to do with that.

If you attach a resonant antenna for a particular band, it should work
fine with the transceiver on that band. If the antenna feedline does
present a 50 ohm impedance to the transceiver, you may need an
external antenna tuner.

Bob,

Before the new ham becomes totally confused, I think your typo above
should be corrected.... If the antenna feedline does NOT present a 50
ohm impedance to the xcvr, he may need an external antenna tuner.

Ed K7AAT

Yes, thank you :-)

bob
k5qwg
Old October 7th 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article , James
Barrett wrote:

Hi, I'm a new ham, and I'm looking for my first HF transceiver. I am
considering the Yaesu FT-817ND.

I'm a new ham using the FT-817ND. I wish I had gotten a 100-watt rig as
my first transmitter and gotten the low-power 817ND later. I do like
the idea of QRP (low power) operation but it requires patience and some
experience with knowing when the bands are open. Probably not the best
choice for a new ham.

I did some google searches and could not
find any information about using an antenna tuner with this rig. How can
it work on all bands without a tuner?

For the frequencies above 30 MHz you can use the whip antenna that
comes with the 817ND. No tuner will be needed.

For the frequencies below 30 MHz you need some sort of outdoor antenna.
You can find some ready to use antennas at the MFJ Enterprises web site
among many other places. One example of a way to go is this. Get a
simple dipole antenna for the 80 meter band and install it outdoors.
You can use that antenna on the band it's made for without a tuner.

With the help of a tuner (such as the automatic Z-11 Pro by LDG
Electronics) you could also use that antenna on higher frequencies such
as the 40 meter band, the 30 meter band, etc.

sincerely,

anonymous in Florida

--
-30-

Old October 7th 07, 07:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Anonymous wrote:

I'm a new ham using the FT-817ND. I wish I had gotten a 100-watt rig as
my first transmitter and gotten the low-power 817ND later. I do like
the idea of QRP (low power) operation but it requires patience and some
experience with knowing when the bands are open. Probably not the best
choice for a new ham.

As someone who is on the other end of the signal path, I can tell
you that 100 watts is not going to make much of a difference if the
band is not "open".

Your signal would be stronger and the two "S units" or so may bring it
above the noise (or not), but if I can't hear you at all, 5 watts,
100 watts, 1000 watts, or even 100,000 watts is not going to make
your signal show up somewhere there is no propigation to.

It WILL help for crowded bands, where hearing your signal a little louder
than the others, or at least not being lost in a pile-up, but that comes
back to skill and patience.

Timing is also critical, when I can hear U.S. stations it's around sunrise
and sunset here. Sunrise is when most U.S. hams are asleep (around 11pm-1am
EST) and just getting to work when the sun sets. You also can't guess it
by looking out the window, since I'm closer to the equator, days are
shorter in the summer and longer in the winter.

I know the bands do open, on contest weekends, they suddenly "come alive".

The other problem is the bands themselves. Our 80m band goes to 3850 and while
legally 40m now goes to 7200, in practice, it stops at 7100 where the zillion
watt SWBC stations make ham communications impossible.

Quite simply, you can call "CQ DX" on 75m or 40m and no one this side of the
world will hear you and if we do and reply, you won't hear us unless you are
listening where we may transmit.

So skill, patience, and timing are as important as the bands being open,
and IMHO more important than how much power you use.

You will also find that if you tell people you are QRP, they often make
things easier for you, such as "CQ DX CQ DX DE (or "this is" for voice)
callsign QRP". Repeat your callsign several times slowly and
phoneticaly for voice and for CW don't call CQ faster than you the
slowest speed you want to copy.

You also should LISTEN for a while so you understand what the other operator
wants. If you want quick contacts for points or QSL cards, don't answer a CQ
or call someone who likes to chat and vice versa.

Since this is an antenna group, having a good low noise antenna in a low noise
location helps. If all you hear is S9+ noise, you won't make many contacts.

Geoff.

IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/
Old October 7th 07, 02:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi Jim

I haven't seen a simple answer to your question yet!

- I can see nothing in URL you sent to indicate that the radio has an
internal antenna tuner. ATU's running to coaxial (SO239/M) connectors
can be horribly lossy as well. (Or at least in the coax run from it to
the antenna) If it had a tuner as a "feature" it would say so to enhance
the products capabilities.

- If the antenna you are using presents a suitable load to the radio
then you don't need a standalone tuner. I don't actually run a tuner,
having built antennas that cover my bands of interest.

- If you want to have (say) just one simple antenna up, yes you'll need
a tuner with this radio (or some other method to match things. Lots of
possibilities to research here!)

- Keep in mind that with such a low output power the voltage handling
specs of you tuning components are much lower. Very easy to throw one
together with junk box parts.

Cheers Bob VK2YQA

Old October 7th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Old October 7th 07, 04:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Old October 7th 07, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna