Old October 13th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna book

My wife picked up a book at a yard sale today for $1. Handbook of
Antenna Design by Rudge. I havnt had a chance to check it out yet, is
this a good book.

Jimmie

Old October 13th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 17:40:41 -0700, JIMMIE
wrote:

My wife picked up a book at a yard sale today for $1. Handbook of
Antenna Design by Rudge. I havnt had a chance to check it out yet, is
this a good book.

Hi Jimmie,

Praise your wife and read the book - then tell her it's great. Arthur
would probably recommend burning it if the index doesn't include
gaussian librium.

Here's a test. Does it have a formula for the radiation resistance of
an elementary dipole or loop? Both?

What would the formula evaluate the Rr of a quarter-quarterwave sized
vertical? For extra credit (applied to this author), what would be
the reactance? You may have to extrapolate that from a chart, but 10
bonus points (applied to this author) if there's an equation.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old October 13th 07, 04:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

My wife picked up a book at a yard sale today for $1. Handbook of
Antenna Design by Rudge. I havnt had a chance to check it out yet, is
this a good book.

Hi Jimmie,

Praise your wife and read the book - then tell her it's great. Arthur
would probably recommend burning it if the index doesn't include
gaussian librium.

Here's a test. Does it have a formula for the radiation resistance of
an elementary dipole or loop? Both?

What would the formula evaluate the Rr of a quarter-quarterwave sized
vertical? For extra credit (applied to this author), what would be
the reactance? You may have to extrapolate that from a chart, but 10
bonus points (applied to this author) if there's an equation.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Richard, I found a few excerpts on the internet and found it included
in the bibliography of several papers.This looks like a pretty good
book. I also noticed it carries a hefty price tag at amazon. I think
the wife did well. It way be a while before I can dig into it though.
My plate is pretty full right now. I have to go to classes to become
the system administrator. for a new computer system. for the next
couple of months I am going to be concentrating on that.

Jimmie

Old October 13th 07, 08:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JIMMIE wrote:
My wife picked up a book at a yard sale today for $1. Handbook of
Antenna Design by Rudge. I havnt had a chance to check it out yet, is
this a good book.

Jimmie

I don't know the book, but there is a two volume set (one orange, one
blue) by Rudge, Milne, Olver and Knight. Those are professional level
antenna books. I suspect it is the same Rudge.

If yours is similar, I would think it is a steal at $1. Professional
level antenna books can be very expensive.

My background is quite close to their target audance - I did an MSc
degree in "Microwaves and Optoelectronics", and one of the options I
took during that MSc was "Antennas and Radar".

Yet I'm the first to admit, I find the theory in these sort of books
very hard at times. (I think having a maths degree might help, which I
do not have).

G8WRB
Old October 13th 07, 10:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Dave" wrote in message

My background is quite close to their target audance - I did an MSc degree
in "Microwaves and Optoelectronics", and one of the options I took during
that MSc was "Antennas and Radar".

Yet I'm the first to admit, I find the theory in these sort of books very
hard at times.

So much for engineering PhDs these days.

Old October 13th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Anonymous. wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message

My background is quite close to their target audance - I did an MSc degree
in "Microwaves and Optoelectronics", and one of the options I took during
that MSc was "Antennas and Radar".

Yet I'm the first to admit, I find the theory in these sort of books very
hard at times.

So much for engineering PhDs these days.

My Ph.D is in medical physics
Old October 13th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Dave" wrote in message
Anonymous. wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
My background is quite close to their target audance - I did an MSc
degree in "Microwaves and Optoelectronics", and one of the options I
took during that MSc was "Antennas and Radar".
Yet I'm the first to admit, I find the theory in these sort of books
very hard at times.

So much for engineering PhDs these days.

My Ph.D is in medical physics

So much for physics PhDs these days.

Old October 13th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Anonymous. wrote:

So much for engineering PhDs these days.

My Ph.D is in medical physics

So much for physics PhDs these days.

It is *NOT* in physics either - it is in medical physics, which is a
discipline of its own.

http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/researc...k/phd/phd.html
Old October 14th 07, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 22:13:23 +0100, Dave
wrote:

http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/researc...k/phd/phd.html

Hi Dave,

Interesting thesis.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old October 15th 07, 07:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Clark wrote:

http://www.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/researc...k/phd/phd.html

Hi Dave,

Interesting thesis.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Thank you,
G8WRB

FA: ONE DAY - THE ARRL ANTENNA BOOK - 18th Edition - Ham Radio Antenna Book Jane R. Antenna 3 May 28th 05 09:11 PM
FA: THE ARRL ANTENNA BOOK - 18th Edition - Ham Radio Antenna Book Ira Antenna 0 May 23rd 05 03:39 AM
FA: THE ARRL ANTENNA BOOK - 18th Edition - Ham Radio Antenna Book Ira Equipment 0 May 23rd 05 03:39 AM
Antenna Design Book Matt Antenna 1 September 13th 04 01:08 AM
Recommend Antenna Book? alhearn Antenna 11 April 12th 04 02:44 PM