Old July 27th 03, 04:16 PM
Javier Henderson

Default Small beam

What is the smallest commercially made beam that covers 20 through 10?

73,
-jav w6vms
Old July 27th 03, 05:45 PM
G&R

HEllo,

I don't cliam that it is the smallest beam for what you are looking for, but
it should be considered.

Take a look at the Baby Boomer Quad by Degen Designs at www.degendesigns.com
I think it might meet your requirements.

If you have any questions, please contact me directly at
(note: my newsgroup posting address is designed to
avoid spam and will note reach me)

73,
Guenther VE3CVS

Old July 27th 03, 07:07 PM
Dave Shrader

By covering 20 through 10 do you mean 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10?

DD, W1MCE

Old July 27th 03, 09:24 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

Whatever it is, you may not want it. I measured the gain of a TA33JR on 20
m, and it was less than a dipole.

Tam/WB2TT

Old July 28th 03, 03:17 AM
Tarmo Tammaru

A/B comparison between the dipole broadside to Europe, and TA33 with a
rotator. People who sell trapless beams make the same claim. Remember, this
is the JR, with small traps, too short a boom, and element lengths that have
been fudget to get a very nice 50 Ohm impedance with no matching network of
any kind. (Or there is enough resistance in the traps). Front to back and
front to side are also very poor.

I got comments from G and DL stations who all preferred the dipole.
Receiving, the difference in favor of the dipole was huge ( several S units)
on an HA.

Replaced it with a full power beam on a 14 foot boom and hairpin match.

Tam/WB2TT

Old July 28th 03, 04:42 AM
Javier Henderson

Dave Shrader writes:

By covering 20 through 10 do you mean 20, 17, 15, 12 and 10?

"Yes"

The preferred option would actually be 20, 17, 15, 12, 10 and 6, but I will
settle for 20, 15 and 10 and see what a tuner can do with the rest.

-jav
Old July 28th 03, 04:43 AM
Javier Henderson

Take a look at the Baby Boomer Quad by Degen Designs at www.degendesigns.com
I think it might meet your requirements.

Thank you, I will take a look at your website.

73,
-jav w6vms
Old July 29th 03, 12:37 AM
Mark Keith

"Tarmo Tammaru" wrote in message ...
A/B comparison between the dipole broadside to Europe, and TA33 with a
rotator. People who sell trapless beams make the same claim. Remember, this
is the JR, with small traps, too short a boom, and element lengths that have
been fudget to get a very nice 50 Ohm impedance with no matching network of
any kind. (Or there is enough resistance in the traps). Front to back and
front to side are also very poor.

I got comments from G and DL stations who all preferred the dipole.
Receiving, the difference in favor of the dipole was huge ( several S units)
on an HA.

Dang....Kind of depressing results...I would have thought the small
beam would still slightly win the race. I use a A4S here when I
actually use a beam. I got it free, so the price was right. It's
fairly decent actually, but I don't consider it a small beam. It's
full sized for all practical purposes. 18 ft boom, and a 32 ft
reflector. It has "nearly" full size performance on 20m. Also good on
10m with it's better spaced reflector than the smaller A3. The A3 is
not bad though. It's about a 27 ft reflector if I remember right. We
have compared the A4 to the A3 at field day. The A3 wasn't too bad
considering it's slightly smaller size. Both the A4 and the A3 use a
spacing design that gives a 50 ohm feedpoint. You only need a 1:1
balun or a choke. I use the coax choke.. MK
Old July 29th 03, 02:39 AM
Tarmo Tammaru

Mark,

I bought the Hygain TH3Mk4, which is about the size of the A3. It is a WHOLE
lot better than the Junior. I think this guy is looking for stuff that is
smaller yet (than the 33JR).

Another indicator is that if the antenna won't take full power, it has lossy
traps. I finally burned out a trap on the 33JR by running a KW into it. The
comparison to the dipole was done before I burned out the trap - somebody
once asked me...

I don't know how much power you are running, but your A3 and a linear would
give you more ERP than any antenna improvement you could make. I had spent
about 1/2 hour trying to work Ducie Island barefoot. Finally gave up and
turned on the linear; the guy came back to me on my second call!

Tam/WB2TT

2m/440 portable beam Christian D. Caswell Antenna 6 July 27th 03 02:43 PM
FS: TA-33 Beam - UPS - $125.00 JS Antenna 0 July 27th 03 11:57 AM
TA-33 Beam question GS Antenna 3 July 26th 03 04:09 PM
Need help with a Comet 6 meter beam Antenna 0 July 24th 03 10:55 PM
Beam question - roof mounted?? GS Antenna 3 July 12th 03 07:53 AM