Old January 19th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default keeping wire antennas up

"Brian Kelly" wrote in message
On Jan 19, 12:10 am, Brian Kelly wrote:
On Jan 18, 3:36 pm, "Juan M." wrote:

A problem seeking a solution.

I live in a wooded area of the Pacific Northwest with dozens of fir
trees of
100 ft or more in height that make wonderful supports for high dipoles
and
other wire antennas. These particular trees have very few limbs at
anything
below the 60 ft level so using a crossbow or slingshot for installation
is
not practical. I have been forced to employ a professional tree
climber to
install the eyebolts and halyards. Using this system, the antennas can
be
raised and lowered for maintenance or modification.

This system works fine until our winter storms kick in. Often, during
those
storms, a tree will lose a limb or two and take the antenna down with
it. I
am then left with a halyard tied to an insulator 50 ft or more above
the
ground with no way to get the insulator back down short of hiring
another
costly climber.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem?

Install continuous loops through all your pulleys rather than
"halyards". Hauling one side of the loop hoists the insulator and
hauling the other side of the loop brings it back down to where you
can work on it. Regardless of the condition or fates of wires
suspended between pulleys.

An aside you might check out: Really nice pulleys:

http://www.harkenstore.com/uniface.urd/SCCYSPW1

FUBAR'd link. Sorry.

Try | http://www.harkenstore.com
catalog
small boat blocks
classic blocks
bullet blocks
See #082,098,166,183

w3rv

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-removable-pull...photohost ing

Old January 19th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

-Free...

On Jan 18, 3:36 pm, "Juan M." wrote:
[...]

Juan you see, they luring you to buy expensive stuff, don't buy! be
smart! Art is right! same gang ..

great pulley! for all your antennas...

http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-VINTAGE-PUL...QQcmdZViewItem

Old January 19th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bob wrote:

great pulley! for all your antennas...

http://cgi.ebay.com/HUGE-VINTAGE-PUL...QQcmdZViewItem

[busting a gut here!]

Yep, a very sturdy skyhook!

LOL,
JS
Old January 21st 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave Heil wrote:

inch long eye bolt, add a nut and stick it in the concrete. A pencil
through the eye will hold it in position until the concrete cures.

Arrrrgh! That'a a little extreme, donchya think Dave?

hehe.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old January 22nd 08, 05:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:

inch long eye bolt, add a nut and stick it in the concrete. A pencil
through the eye will hold it in position until the concrete cures.

Arrrrgh! That'a a little extreme, donchya think Dave?

hehe.

I don't care to imagine concrete blocks dangling in space or screen door
closers affixed to trees, Mike.

Dave K8MN

Old January 22nd 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave Heil wrote:

I don't care to imagine concrete blocks dangling in space or screen door
closers affixed to trees, Mike.

Dave K8MN

Neither do I.

I'd imagine a pulley in the tree which a rope attached to the antenna to
be tensioned was attached. This rope would then run to a weight on the
ground to where the HD door closers were attached.

I mean, I'd imagine that as opposed to beginning to pour concrete to
which an eyebolt with a insufficient deadman held into the concrete!

JS
Old January 22nd 08, 05:54 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:

I don't care to imagine concrete blocks dangling in space or screen
door closers affixed to trees, Mike.

Dave K8MN

Neither do I.

I'd imagine a pulley in the tree which a rope attached to the antenna to
be tensioned was attached. This rope would then run to a weight on the
ground to where the HD door closers were attached.

I mean, I'd imagine that as opposed to beginning to pour concrete to
which an eyebolt with a insufficient deadman held into the concrete!

Try to keep your anonymous sniping to yourself, CB "John". There's *no*
dead man in the concrete. It is simply a bolt, a large fender washer
and a nut. It is supporting only a wire antenna. It isn't guying a
tower. A 3/8", three or four inch long bolt in concrete is more than
sufficient for the job. Read my earlier post where I suggest a window
sash weight. These are cast iron with a loop at the top end. Both have
been used without failure for decades. No Rube Goldberg devices were
necessary.

Dave K8MN
Old January 22nd 08, 07:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave Heil wrote:
... It is simply a bolt, a large fender washer
and a nut. It is supporting only a wire antenna. It isn't guying a
tower. A 3/8", three or four inch long bolt in concrete is more than
sufficient for the job. Read my earlier post where I suggest a window
sash weight. These are cast iron with a loop at the top end. Both have
been used without failure for decades. No Rube Goldberg devices were
necessary.

Dave K8MN

The fender washer, now mentioned, would go a long way towards creating a
better deadman ...

JS
Old January 22nd 08, 08:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave Heil wrote:

Dave K8MN

OK. Sorry. I see the fender mentioned washer mentioned in one of your
your posts--and have my news reader set to mark your new posts as
already having been read, easy to miss 'em. LOL

JS
Old January 22nd 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
Dave Heil wrote:
... It is simply a bolt, a large fender washer and a nut. It is
supporting only a wire antenna. It isn't guying a tower. A 3/8",
three or four inch long bolt in concrete is more than sufficient for
the job. Read my earlier post where I suggest a window sash weight.
These are cast iron with a loop at the top end. Both have been used
without failure for decades. No Rube Goldberg devices were necessary.

Dave K8MN

The fender washer, now mentioned, would go a long way towards creating a
better deadman ...

Check it out, "John". The fender washer was in my original post. If
you'd bothered to read it, you wouldn't be in an "Oops, never mind"
situation.

Dave K8MN