Old October 2nd 05, 01:59 AM
Buther Boy

Default Where to by random wire (longwire) antennas

I'm looking at the MFJ-16010, and want to buy some random wire and do
some antenna experimenting. Could someone please point me to a
link(s) for random wire antennas?

Buther Boy

--
Remove the word Spam from my e-mail to contact me...
http://www.PrivacySig.com/SIGbutherb...mail-black.png
Old October 2nd 05, 02:03 AM
Buther Boy

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 19:59:22 -0500, Buther Boy wrote:

I'm looking at the MFJ-16010, and want to buy some random wire and do
some antenna experimenting. Could someone please point me to a
link(s) for random wire antennas?

Buther Boy

Also, as I am just getting back into the hobby, I need a refresher of
sorts. What do I need to buy besides the random wire and antenna
tuner. Are there any other supplies that are necessary (besides the
radio LOL)?

Thanks.

Buther Boy

Old October 2nd 05, 02:13 AM

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:03:20 -0500, Buther Boy wrote:

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 19:59:22 -0500, Buther Boy wrote:

I'm looking at the MFJ-16010, and want to buy some random wire and do
some antenna experimenting. Could someone please point me to a
link(s) for random wire antennas?

Buther Boy

Also, as I am just getting back into the hobby, I need a refresher of
sorts. What do I need to buy besides the random wire and antenna
tuner. Are there any other supplies that are necessary (besides the
radio LOL)?

Thanks.

Buther Boy

My recommendation is to hold off on the MFJ 'tuner' and first put up
the antenna and see how it plays. As to where to buy; Lowe's, Home
Depot or whatever similar type place will be your best bet for the
wire - suggest #12 or #14 stranded just as you would use to wire your
house. Insulators can be made from wood, use some 3/4 square cut 3 -
5 inches long with a hole drilled in each end then seal it with
several coats of varnish. For more info this article is highly
recommended:
http://www.anarc.org/naswa/badx/ante...e_antenna.html

Good Luck,
Howard

Old October 2nd 05, 02:30 AM
Buther Boy

Howard:

I read the article, and would really appreciate it if you would please
simplify construction AND installation for me. Step by step, where
applicable and if possible.

Many thanks in advance. :-)

Buther Boy

Old October 2nd 05, 04:55 AM

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 20:30:52 -0500, Buther Boy wrote:

Howard:

I read the article, and would really appreciate it if you would please
simplify construction AND installation for me. Step by step, where
applicable and if possible.

Many thanks in advance. :-)

Buther Boy

Buther,
I'm going to refer you to another website that has further explained
it and offers some illustrations - a picture is worth.......

Yes, it's a bit of laziness on my part and also an admission that I'm
not so hot at writing instructions. A few tips though:
1) Insulators; wire antenna attached to one hole, rope to the other -
the rope ties off to a support such as a mast, tree or house.
2) Lead in wire/transmission line; the wire can come directly to the
house but can pick up lots of noise, using coaxial cable (and a
suitable ground) can help reduce this - attach the center conductor to
the antenna and the shield (braided wire just under the plastic
jacket) to ground. if for listening only go ahead and use 75 ohm
cable as you would buy for your cable or satellite TV system.
3) Ground; a metal rod, typically 8 feet long, driven into the ground;
you can use the ground rod for your home electrical.
4) Keep your antenna as far from power lines as you can and
perpendicular to the power lines (if nearby) can help to reduce noise
vs parallel to them.

Here's the site promised: http://www.kc7nod.20m.com/random_wire.htm
Thanks to KC7NOD for taking the time to put this info on his site.
Also, don't forget that Google is your friend, type in 'random wire
antenna' and you will receive a wealth of other info.

Howard

Old October 2nd 05, 12:59 PM
Buther Boy

Howard:

I somehow "dreamed" of being able to hide this random wire in my house
and tune it up, but that is looking more improbable by the minute. I
live in a town home and have no yard. Things don't look good, but I
have an excellent idea of how this all works. I appreciate your help,
Howard, and thanks for the detailed explanations.

Buther Boy

Old October 2nd 05, 02:42 PM
Bob Miller

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005 19:59:22 -0500, Buther Boy wrote:

I'm looking at the MFJ-16010, and want to buy some random wire and do
some antenna experimenting. Could someone please point me to a
link(s) for random wire antennas?

Buther Boy

Get your tuner, get a 500 foot roll of #14 insulated wire from Lowes
or Home Depot (about $30), order a copy of the ARRL Antenna Book from
their web site for the particulars on random or long wires, and you'll
be all set.

bob
k5qwg

Old October 2nd 05, 09:01 PM
Asimov

"Buther Boy" bravely wrote to "All" (02 Oct 05 06:59:32)
--- on the heady topic of " Where to by random wire (longwire) antennas"

BB From: Buther Boy
BB Xref: core-easynews rec.radio.amateur.antenna:217904

BB Howard:

BB I somehow "dreamed" of being able to hide this random wire in my house
BB and tune it up, but that is looking more improbable by the minute. I
BB live in a town home and have no yard. Things don't look good, but I
BB have an excellent idea of how this all works. I appreciate your help,
BB Howard, and thanks for the detailed explanations.

BB Buther Boy

You can hide wire in the oddest places. For example there is a 40 foot
long clothesline outside in back of the house and it is made of steel.
Someone a little bit crafty might replace that line with copperclad
and nobody would be the wiser unless they looked a little closer.
Hidden in plain sight!

A*s*i*m*o*v

.... "Please do not offer my god a peanut!" --Apu

WHY - The simple Random Wire Antenna is better than the Dipole Antenna for the Shortwave Listener (SWL) RHF Shortwave 15 September 13th 05 08:28 AM
Transformer for longwire antennas to reduce noise problem? [email protected] Shortwave 4 September 28th 04 12:33 PM
RF filters and Impedance Matching Paul Burridge Homebrew 16 April 10th 04 01:29 PM
RCI 9515 N8KDV Shortwave 13 January 12th 04 10:17 AM
Random Length Longwire Directionality Questions ? RHF Shortwave 0 July 18th 03 06:55 AM