Old March 15th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Incoming radio wave polarisation

I have on order a tilting system for my antenna to probe the
polarisation of incoming signals
for maximum audio clarity and gain.
There are instruments out there that can automatically tell you the
polarisation
without one taking the trouble to pan the antenna in different
directions.
Anybody out there follow such a procedure with the antenna or use a
homebrew
or commercial instrument to save time?
Regards
Art
Old March 15th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
You You is offline

In article ,
"AI4QJ" wrote:

"Art Unwin" wrote in message
I have on order a tilting system for my antenna to probe the
polarisation of incoming signals
for maximum audio clarity and gain.
There are instruments out there that can automatically tell you the
polarisation
without one taking the trouble to pan the antenna in different
directions.
Anybody out there follow such a procedure with the antenna or use a
homebrew
or commercial instrument to save time?
Regards
Art

How do you change the polarity of a helical antenna?

You wind the Helix in the OPPOSITE Direction....... Duh.....
Old March 15th 08, 07:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 08:52:01 -0700 (PDT), Art Unwin
wrote:

Anybody out there follow such a procedure with the antenna

Phase steerable array.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 15th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 14:32:57 -0400, "AI4QJ" wrote:

How do you change the polarity of a helical antenna?

Swap the feeds.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 16th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"AI4QJ" wrote in
:

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 14:32:57 -0400, "AI4QJ" wrote:

How do you change the polarity of a helical antenna?

Swap the feeds.

Ha ha Richard, I assume you are aware that this is a joke given that a
helical antenna is circularly polarized. I am not so sure about this

AI4QJ, perhaps you have a different understanding of the meaning of
circular polarisation to most of us.

Owen

Old March 16th 08, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Art Unwin wrote:
I have on order a tilting system for my antenna to probe the
polarisation of incoming signals
for maximum audio clarity and gain.
There are instruments out there that can automatically tell you the
polarisation
without one taking the trouble to pan the antenna in different
directions.

Never saw one that didn't need an antenna capable of being switched
(either electronically or machanically) beween different polarizations.
Which instrument did you see?

Alan

Old March 16th 08, 05:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"AI4QJ" wrote in
:

Are you talking about the possibility of Art communicating with other
people who are transmitting on similar helical circularly polarized
antennas where CW vs CCW direction must be considered? I dismissed

If this is his compact wonder, it is probably not an axial mode helical.
(I don't know that one could ever describe an axial mode helical as
'compact'.)

Normal mode helicals deliver linear polarisation.

this possibility entirely. Most hams's signals arrive either veritcal,
norizontal or somewhere in between (not rotating) originating at a
linear polarized source. Is he communicating with satellites? I really
haven't heard of helix antennas on the HF bands other than the Unwin
compact model. If so, then yes, you can only switch the feedpoint to

Normal mode helicals are commonly used on HF.

change from CW to CCW and that can make a BIG difference in gain. The
probability of Art finding another HF helical to QSO with should be
negligible to null. Satellites are another matter.

Owen
Old March 16th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 16, 12:55 am, Owen Duffy wrote:

[...]

See recent posting on E ham
Art
Old March 16th 08, 05:33 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
You You is offline

In article ,
You wrote:

In article ,
"AI4QJ" wrote:

"Art Unwin" wrote in message
I have on order a tilting system for my antenna to probe the
polarisation of incoming signals
for maximum audio clarity and gain.
There are instruments out there that can automatically tell you the
polarisation
without one taking the trouble to pan the antenna in different
directions.
Anybody out there follow such a procedure with the antenna or use a
homebrew
or commercial instrument to save time?
Regards
Art

How do you change the polarity of a helical antenna?

You wind the Helix in the OPPOSITE Direction....... Duh.....

Just for "Grins" consider this..... What Polorization would you get
if you mounted the Dipole Feed of a Corner Reflector Antenna, at
45° instead of inline with the Axis of the Reflector?
Old March 16th 08, 07:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Art wrote:
"Normal mode helicals are commonly used on HF."

Yes. Such antennas include small diameter coils making up solenoids. The
turns act as small stacked loops.

A small loop acts as a short dipole but with its E and H fields
interchanged. See page 58 of the 3rd edition of "Antennas" by Kraus,
Marthefka, et al.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Problems with ARRL Incoming buro? Dave WB4IUY Dx 12 December 1st 06 08:48 AM
Incoming signal elevation question Ken Bessler Antenna 19 May 26th 06 03:48 AM
ARRL's Incoming QSL Burro! NIW Policy 1 March 25th 04 11:52 AM
ARRL's Incoming QSL Burro! NIW General 3 March 24th 04 11:38 AM
Incoming radiation angles Art Unwin KB9MZ Antenna 33 January 5th 04 11:11 PM