Old March 26th 08, 02:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Hamstick dipole for 80m

Ed_G wrote:
Cecil, I would be interested in finding out what you are using for
base extenders..... varying lengths of ? with 3/8"-24 female one end, male
another. You make something, or is something commercially available?

Hustler makes various extender sections. I have
2 foot and 5 foot sections from Hustler.

Most of my extender sections are from Henry, the
Texas Bugcatcher guy. They are the "BASE MAST"
sections available in lengths from 1/2 foot to
5 feet and special lengths can be ordered.

http://www.texasbugcatcher.com/
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old March 26th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JN JN is offline

"Cecil Moore"

Experiment with it and see what
happens. You could just use wire for the
experimentation and hang it between two supports.

-----/////-----+-----FP-----+-----/////-----
hamstick wire wire hamstick

--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

I have no hamsticks yet, but maybe I could use some simulation like this:
http://www.k7mem.150m.com/Electronic.../shortant.html

73 Jouko OH5RM

Old March 26th 08, 06:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JN wrote:
"Cecil Moore"
Experiment with it and see what
happens. You could just use wire for the
experimentation and hang it between two supports.

-----/////-----+-----FP-----+-----/////-----
hamstick wire wire hamstick

--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

I have no hamsticks yet, but maybe I could use some simulation like this:
http://www.k7mem.150m.com/Electronic.../shortant.html

If you use a fiberglass rod for the coil form similar
to the hamstick fiberglass rod and wind the same number
of turns of the same size wire on it, it should work.
But if you are going to go to that trouble, you might
as well wind high-Q coils.

In fact, if you replace the 75m hamstick coils with
large-diameter high-Q coils, you can probably increase
your radiated power by 1000%, i.e. 10 dB :-).
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old March 27th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Most of my extender sections are from Henry, the
Texas Bugcatcher guy. They are the "BASE MAST"
sections available in lengths from 1/2 foot to
5 feet and special lengths can be ordered.

http://www.texasbugcatcher.com/

Thanks. Looked it up.... nice selection. I'll be looking into this.

Ed
Old March 27th 08, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 26, 8:16 am, Cecil Moore wrote:

Hustler makes various extender sections. I have
2 foot and 5 foot sections from Hustler.

Most of my extender sections are from Henry, the
Texas Bugcatcher guy. They are the "BASE MAST"
sections available in lengths from 1/2 foot to
5 feet and special lengths can be ordered.

I have a hustler 3 footer I use all the time..
Really cranks the performance up when you are
parked and can use a taller whip.
My normal whip is 11 ft, exactly center loaded,
and the mast makes it 14, with the coil at 8 ft.
I wish I had a 5 foot version. Might have to get
one of those for industrial strength use. :/
Of course, if I had another 5 ft mast, I'd end up
coupling them together and having 8 ft.
There is no such thing as overkill with a
stationary mobile setup. lol
An 8 ft mast would give me a total height of
19 ft, and the coil would be at 13 ft.
That would brown the food on 75/40 m... :-

Old March 27th 08, 08:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
JN JN is offline

I made an interesting simulation for the ham stick dipole.

I first took total lenght 16 FT (2x hamstick), at 4MHz loading coils near
feedpoint calculated to be abt. 60 mikroH
Then I took total lenght 28 FT (8+6/FP/6+8) coils then moved to almost
center of elements. at 4MHz calculated 56 mikroH
and the same configuration at 3.56 MHz calculated 71MikroH for each coil.

Now 75m hamsicks seem to have abt. 60mikroH coils.
If you use 2x6Ft extenders at center you need 71 mikroH to resonate at
3.56Mhz.

This simulation uses šlumped coils not helical like in hamstick, but I think
it is possible to use 75m sticks with extenders and still you need to lower
the resonance for 80m CW use.

73 Jouko OH5RM

Old March 27th 08, 12:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JN wrote:
Now 75m hamsicks seem to have abt. 60mikroH coils.
If you use 2x6Ft extenders at center you need 71 mikroH to resonate at
3.56Mhz.

Which gives you incentive to replace the hamstick
coils with relatively high-Q coils and thus increase
your radiation efficiency by magnitudes.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old March 27th 08, 04:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 27, 7:54 am, Michael Coslo wrote:

How do you adjust the coil at that height? Of course I find that I
choose and spend most of my time on one band per mobile session, so
maybe it isn't a big problem.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

Well, I only have a few taps on the coil, so I don't have to change
all that often. I might have three taps for 80m, a couple for 40m,
one each for the rest of the bands..
I'll tune the antenna in the normal 11 ft mode, using the usual
tap for the freq I'm using, and then I add the 3 ft mast.
I'll stay on the same coil tap, but shorten the stinger a couple
of inches or so.
I'm on 80 or 40 most all the time, so I don't have to change
but maybe twice a day.. 40 all day, and then I'll switch to
75 at night when it gets dark.

Old March 27th 08, 05:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
... I'll switch to 75 at night when it gets dark.

What do you switch to at night when it doesn't
get dark? :-)
--
73, Cecil
http://www.w5dxp.com