Old April 1st 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default MFJ-259Z

I don't think that my MFJ-259Z is charging properly. Its new and it has been
on charge for over 6 hours and all the batteries are still reading 0 Volts.
I'm using the PSU that came with it. It works fine from the PSU but doesn't
seem to be charging. The switch inside for charging is turned on.. Can some
one please advise me how to check it?

Thanks

Old April 1st 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Barrett" wrote in message
I don't think that my MFJ-259Z is charging properly. Its new and it has
been
on charge for over 6 hours and all the batteries are still reading 0
Volts.
I'm using the PSU that came with it. It works fine from the PSU but
doesn't
seem to be charging. The switch inside for charging is turned on.. Can
some
one please advise me how to check it?

Thanks

Make sure the batteries are in the correct positions!

Old April 1st 08, 11:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Barrett wrote:
I don't think that my MFJ-259Z is charging properly. Its new and it has been
on charge for over 6 hours and all the batteries are still reading 0 Volts.
I'm using the PSU that came with it. It works fine from the PSU but doesn't
seem to be charging. The switch inside for charging is turned on.. Can some
one please advise me how to check it?

I just did a search of the MFJ web page and it said
"No Items Found!" for an MFJ-259Z.

My MFJ-259B has a jumper for standard vs rechargeable
batteries. Perhaps your jumper in in the standard
battery position rather than in the rechargeable
position?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old April 2nd 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
My MFJ-259B has a jumper for standard vs rechargeable
batteries. Perhaps your jumper in in the standard
battery position rather than in the rechargeable
position?

Actually, it is a "charger on" or "charger off"
jumper.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old April 2nd 08, 08:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

The 2600 NiMH rechargeable batteries that came with MFJ-259Z are all reading
0 Volts and will not charge in the MFJ-259Z or in my smart charger. I
thought that these types of batteries are not effected by discharge memory
and yet these seem to be effected by it.

Is there anything I can do to get them working again?

The unit only arrived yesterday from W&S. Its taken long enough for it to
arrive with out having to send it back and wait for a replacement from them.
It also showed a nice silver shinny coupling antenna attachment in the
picture and it came with what looks like an old bent piece of enamelled
copper wire bent into a loop that is soldered to a PL259. A bit
disappointing really for the money.

Old April 2nd 08, 09:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

The jumper is on in the unit and all the batteries are in there correct
position. The link for the MFJ-259Z on the W&S site is
http://www.wsplc.com/cgi-bin/ss00000...=14&ACTION.y=3

They won't even charge in my Smart charger. They just shut down the charging
as if there no good, but they are supposed to be brand new. Just borrowed
some 1800mA and these are charging fine in the MFJ-259, so it looks like the
problem is with the batteries. I have never experienced this with these type
of batteries before only NiCad's.

Old April 2nd 08, 10:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Barrett wrote:
The jumper is on in the unit and all the batteries are in there correct
position. The link for the MFJ-259Z on the W&S site is
http://www.wsplc.com/cgi-bin/ss00000...=14&ACTION.y=3

Is this an MFJ product?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old April 2nd 08, 01:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Barrett wrote:
The jumper is on in the unit and all the batteries are in there correct
position. The link for the MFJ-259Z on the W&S site is
http://www.wsplc.com/cgi-bin/ss00000...=14&ACTION.y=3

Is this an MFJ product?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

A quick Google search shows a few sales outlets, but the MFJ company didn't
show up when searching MFJ-259Z.
I suspect an after market modification by someone.
This site has a letter from someone else having a charging problem with the
MFL-259Z. See the second letter.
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/13
Mike