Old April 24th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Balun question

ve2pid wrote:
My question: Should I remove the old balun or may I keep it, i.e. does
it has any influence even if the coax is removed?

It is unclear where you have connected your ladder-
line at the antenna end. Is it connected through the
coax connector or does it bypass the balun and connect
directly to the antenna wire, i.e. are you trying to
use the old balun as your center insulator?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old April 24th 08, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On 24 avr, 13:16, Cecil Moore wrote:
...does it bypass the balun and connect directly to the antenna wire, i.e. are you trying to
use the old balun as your center insulator?

This is what I intended to do, using the 'eyelets' on the balun to
hold each leg and to connect the ladder line to them. Purely a
mechanical solution.

But since there is a 0 ohms (DC) resistance between the two posts on
the balun, I am concerned abour adverse effects.
Old April 24th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

ve2pid wrote:
On 24 avr, 13:16, Cecil Moore wrote:
...does it bypass the balun and connect directly to the antenna wire, i.e. are you trying to
use the old balun as your center insulator?

This is what I intended to do, using the 'eyelets' on the balun to
hold each leg and to connect the ladder line to them. Purely a
mechanical solution.

But since there is a 0 ohms (DC) resistance between the two posts on
the balun, I am concerned about adverse effects.

You need to measure those impedances at the frequencies of
interest. If the antenna feedpoint impedance is much, much
lower than the impedance looking back into the old balun,
you don't have anything to worry about. You can determine
those impedances with a lot of time and effort. Or you can
remove the balun and install an insulator. Personally, I
would install the free insulator out of my junk box. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old April 25th 08, 07:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

ve2pid wrote:

This is what I intended to do, using the 'eyelets' on the balun to
hold each leg and to connect the ladder line to them. Purely a
mechanical solution.

But since there is a 0 ohms (DC) resistance between the two posts on
the balun, I am concerned abour adverse effects.

Open the box, snip the wire.

Craig 'Lumpy' Lemke

www.n0eq.com

4:1 balun question Mike Coslo Antenna 21 May 5th 06 01:32 PM
Balun Question Tom Ring Antenna 4 March 16th 06 01:19 AM
Balun question... Fred Scanner 0 February 24th 04 01:57 PM
4:1 balun question PDRUNEN Antenna 1 January 23rd 04 10:39 AM