Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 12th 08, 09:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default PL259 Thread standard

Thanks Dan,
I have ordered a die nut to correct the problem, I suspect that the thread
will not have the full strength after using it though!

Thanks, John
"Dan Richardson" wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 23:53:38 GMT, "HRBE" wrote:

Hello to all,
I have just bought a Ground plane adaptor off Ebay (yeah I know!) (China!
Yeah I know!) it was advertised as a PL259/SO239 male/female thread to
enable a groundplane to be fitted to a mobile antenna.

I assumed wrongly that there was an International standard with regard to
the PL259/SO239.

Naturally when a known part number is advertised, one would expect that
the
normal 5/8" x 24 threads per inch standard (UNEF) would be followed.

Not so! What was sent was a 16 x 1mm adaptor.

Naturally the language difference is making it hard for me to convince the
seller that he MUST advertise the adaptor on Ebay having a metric thread.

Can anyone tell me if there is a move towards the metrification of the
PL259/SO239 connectors?

If this happens all hell will break loose, imagine trying to connect
antenna
to coax at say a field day or even worse in an emergency situation?

John
VK2KCE

I ran into that problem many years ago when they first starting
importing some off-shore VHF antennas. I ended up purchasing a 5/8-24
NF die-nut and that took care of the problem. Its very easy to use
requiring very little pressure to "chase" the threads so that a
standard PL-259 screws on without any problem.

Over the years having that die-nut has paid for itself many times for
myself and friends who ended up trying to use metric connectors with
American standard connectors.

Danny, K6MHE

Female PL259? Dave Platt Antenna 6 September 5th 06 12:28 PM
RCA - PL259 (female)? Lisa Simpson Shortwave 5 June 14th 06 09:00 PM
Need: N-Male to PL259 female Adaptor? Daphne + Dave Swap 7 November 28th 05 03:56 PM
Metric PL259? Airy R. Bean Homebrew 26 August 30th 04 12:16 PM
PL259 Query Airy R. Bean Homebrew 2 August 9th 04 02:24 PM