Old July 1st 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Loop antenna success story

On Jul 1, 2:05*am, John Smith wrote:
wrote:
JS,
I may be misreading your post, excuse me if I am. *But, how are arcing
power transformers a part of a fireman's job, other than putting out
any resulting fire? *They certainly can't, and shouldn't try to repair
them. *And I don't know how they could turn one 'off', do you?
Referring any complaints to the power company responsible for that
arcing transformer is about all they can do. *Expecting the Fire
Department to 'fix' it is a little unreasonable.
*- 'Doc

FD "fix" the xfrmr? *(well, in a round-about-way, YES! *EXACTLY!)

Again, you are joking right?

Logic dictates they would call the power company whose
property/responsibility the xfrmr is and tell them it is SERIOUS fire
hazard which they cannot ignore ... and that would carry a LOT MORE
WEIGHT than "joe blow amateur" saying he had noise on his receiver.

But then, you already knew that ... silly!

Regards,
JS

Amen to that! I have seen a fire marshal shut down a nightclub
when even the police couldn't. A fire marshal can shut down the
IRS!
Old July 1st 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Have I ever seen... etc? Yes, I have. About the exploding
transformers, Fir Marshals, most of the other thingys too. Just
depending on where you live, a Fire Marshal usually does have quite a
bit of authority to recommend things. Same conditions, most places do
not allow that Marshal to have a "My word is final." authority.
That's usually reserved for the judicial system, except in cases of -
immediate- life/death circumstances. The case of that noise
transformer just doesn't fall into tha catagory, sorry 'bout that.
How do I know all that? Cuz I worked around that sort of thingy for 20
years.
- 'Doc

Old July 1st 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 16:33:55 +0000, Michael wrote:

I live in town, three blocks from a failing transformer. At night you
can see it arcing continuously. This produces an S8 noise level on my
Icom 718. The power company has been completely uncooperative now for 6
months of my complaining.

Even though I was warned that a loop antenna would not help with a noise
source this close, I put up a 75 meter full wave loop anyway. I was
desperate.

I have had excellent results with eliminating urban near field RF noise
with loop antennas such as my T2FD. Went from s7 noise floor to almost
nothing. Desirable signals went from S7 to S6, but S7 in a S7 noise floor
is not anywhere usable as a S6 in a near quite noise floor!

Also, if the arc is visible on the xformer, I'd call the fire dept
Old July 2nd 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

....substitute 'arcing' for 'noisy', same thing applies.
- 'Doc

Old July 2nd 08, 05:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bert Hyman wrote:

Fire departments also know who to talk to at the power company to get
things turned off during fire emergencies, who might either be the same
people who would actually care about an arcing transformer or would know
who would.

Lastly, fire departments are local and easier to deal with than the FCC.

Bert:

In this case, at least, our logic is toe-to-toe, and at least a good
place to begin ... but like I indicated--not everyone seems to be doing
their "jobs" these day--but then, you already knew that. wink

Warm regards,
JS
Old July 2nd 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bert Hyman wrote:
In
wrote:

I may be misreading your post, excuse me if I am. But, how are arcing
power transformers a part of a fireman's job, other than putting out
any resulting fire?

I think the expectation is that the fire department would be sensitive
to something that has an obvious potential for starting a fire.

Keep in mind that as far as the fire department is concerned, that
arcing transformer is already "on fire". Fire departments are trained to
respond to electrical fires, which include downed power lines. That
arcing transformer looks a lot like the arcing from a power line - just
on a smaller scale. They work with the power companies, who have the
responsibility of turning off the power, while the FD takes care of
whatever extra fire that happens.

Do the immediate neighbors know the transformer is malfunctioning? Does
the power company know? Not taking care of that would be gross
negligence. A discreet caal to the Fire department might help, maybe
even a call to the home insurance company (you'd be surprised how
helpful they can be when property they insure is at risk.

Fire departments also know who to talk to at the power company to get
things turned off during fire emergencies, who might either be the same
people who would actually care about an arcing transformer or would know
who would.

Lastly, fire departments are local and easier to deal with than the FCC.

In this case, definitely. There is a clear danger. The FCC is of better
use when there are problems that are more nuisance than danger to the
public.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old July 2nd 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I think my point has been 'gotten across'. Not to everyone, but that
seldom happens about anything. There really are advantages to being
thought of as the 'village idiot'...
- 'Doc