Old August 19th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Ham or CB Antenna?

DES wrote:
OK, I'm gonna try and get a better picture for you guys, but it won't
be today because it's pouring down rain.

How about going up to the door and asking?

Geoff.

Old August 19th 08, 02:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
DES DES is offline

On Aug 19, 9:24*am, (Geoffrey S. Mendelson) wrote:
DES wrote:
OK, I'm gonna try and get a better picture for you guys, but it won't
be today because it's pouring down rain.

How about going up to the door and asking?

Geoff.

That isn't an option. I can't go into details in a public forum.. I
just need to know if the guy is broadcasting with a ham or CB radio,
and figured you guys could tell me from looking at the antenna.
Old August 19th 08, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

DES wrote:

That isn't an option. I can't go into details in a public forum.. I
just need to know if the guy is broadcasting with a ham or CB radio,
and figured you guys could tell me from looking at the antenna.

I don't know what youthink you are doing, but it's not going IMHO to end
well. If you think that the resident of the property is operating
illegally, on whatever band you think they may be doing so, contact a
local ham radio club, or if you don't know of one, the ARRL or local
equivalent and ask for assitance in tracking down the source of the
interference.

I'm sure there is someone near you who has the skill and the equipment to
find out what the problem is and locate the actual source.

Usually they guy with the most visible antennas is the one who is
the least likely source of whatever interference you are experiencing
assuming you are experiencing some sort of interference and are not
just out the get the guy because you don't want anyone with antennas
in your neighborhood.

Geoff.

Old August 19th 08, 04:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
DES DES is offline

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel *N3OWJ/4X1GM

What the hell, public forum or not, I need some help here, and this
guy is giving legal users a bad name.

I've approached the guy *several* times over the past few yrs and
asked him very nicely to lower the boost/gain (whatever it's called)
on his radio and he has complaied to a certain extent.

His broadcast were only coming through my stereo speakers during low
passages at the time.

As of a few months ago, it is now so bad, that his broadcast are now
coming through my TV speakers, and causing horizontal lines in the
picture. (on all four of my TV's) And it's so bad on my computer
speakers now, that I have to turn them off. As far as listening to my
stereo, I can't even do that now if he is broadcasting.

So I approached him again, only this time, he told me to "F off", that
"he wasn't doing anything illegal".

When I got home, not only was the broadcast even louder, he was
telling one of his radio buddies about the "incident" in FULL detail.

So, I know for a FACT it is him.

I know just need to know what kind of radio he is using.

Question, can a CB transmit
Old August 19th 08, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
DES DES is offline

DES wrote:
[...]

Hit send by accident.

Question, can a CB transmit 700 miles?

Old August 19th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 09:02:39 -0700 (PDT), DES
wrote:

Question, can a CB transmit 700 miles?

At the power levels you are suggesting, globally during certain
periods of the sun spot cycle. But that is not terribly different
with legal CB power.

As to his remarking that he wasn't doing anything illegal (CB with
amplification that some smarmy posters here think is perfectly OK); if
that be the case, then you need to fix your problem, because the FCC
does not mandate that a Ham legally using his equipment is obligated
to defer to your TV watching habits.

That fix is going to be the same if power levels don't go down for any
reason (issues of morality notwithstanding). The judicious and
liberal application of Ferrite RFI suppressors will solve a lot of
your suffering.

Look at any of your computer display leads and notice the end of the
cable with the odd bulge before one connector. That is a suppressor.
It is nothing more than a ferrite donut or tube. Ferrite is a
magnetic ceramic (it will break like china if you drop it). It is
made in many forms and appears to be dark gray with a slick to dusty
finish. The Ferrite RFI suppressors available at Radio Shack come
with a plastic clamshell holding one of these tubes that is split
lengthwise so you can open it, insert a wire or wires, and then lock
it shut. This makes it reusable if the problem isn't solved with your
choice of wire(s) or where you apply it.

This last suggests experimentation on your part is necessary. It also
means you are going to need more than one given you have described a
number of issues. For a start, get two or three and see how well they
work on the power cords going to the affected component (TV, radio,
computer) and even with both wires of any speaker. In short, put a
suppressor on any interconnecting cable or wire and see if symptoms
change.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old August 19th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ed Cregger wrote:
"David G. Nagel" wrote in message
DES wrote:
Bad picture, but can someone tell me if the antenna on top of the
tower is for a Ham or CB radio? (I know the one on the left is a EV
ant

http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p...e/IM002446.jpg

In that the antenna/beam is vertical it is most likely a CB beam antenna.
An amateur radio antenna would be horizontal.

Dave WD9BDZ

-----------

Unless this antenna was used to work a 10 meter repeater.

Ed, NM2K

True

Dave WD9BDZ
Old August 19th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
DES DES is offline

wrote:

Question, can a CB transmit 700 miles?

At the power levels you are suggesting, globally during certain
periods of the sun spot cycle. *But that is not terribly different
with legal CB power.

So, if I'm hearing him on a daily bases speaking to someone that is
700 miles away, then it has to be a Ham?

As to his remarking that he wasn't doing anything illegal (CB with
amplification that some smarmy posters here think is perfectly OK); if
that be the case, then you need to fix your problem, because the FCC
does not mandate that a Ham legally using his equipment is obligated
to defer to your TV watching habits.

He's obviously not legal. He has been getting louder and louder over
the years to the point of what I described in my earlier post about
the problem with the TV's now.

And even the very first time I approached him, I mentioned that I knew
he was broadcasting illegally, and that we all have our hobbies, but
his was interfering with mine, which at the time was home theater. He
didn't deny that he wasn't illegal, at the time, and he did lower the
power, for a while.

I've approached this guy at least 5 times in the past few yrs, and
every time he has lowered the power, for a while. Not this time,
though, and it is now out of control.

snipped helpful info
Old August 19th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
DES DES is offline

wrote:
DES wrote:
OK, I'm gonna try and get a better picture for you guys, but it
won't be today because it's pouring down rain.

How about going up to the door and asking?

Geoff.

That isn't an option. I can't go into details in a public forum.. I
just need to know if the guy is broadcasting with a ham or CB radio,
and figured you guys could tell me from looking at the antenna.

Do you know the guy's name? You can see if there's a license issued to
him:

http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsS...rchLicense.jsp

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |

Only his address, and the house is listed in a females name in public
records. Thanks for the link, I gonna see if I can find out his name.