Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 26th 08, 10:19 PM
Junior Member

Unhappy Coupling a T2FD to a S350DL

Hi

I am new to this forum and have a (most likely) dumb question

I recently aquired a S350DL receiver. I will be using this rig until I can buy a rela communications receiver. I will be using it to receive Shortwave only. I have constructed a T2FD (Tilted, terminated, folded dipole) with a design feed point impedance of 300 ohms. The S350 DL only has an unbalance high impedance external antenna point and a ground on it. How can I attach the T2Fd to the S350Dl and acheive a good impedance match.

1) Is the whip antenna on the S350DL a low impedance feed point (i.e. 50 or 75 ohms)? If so, could I use a 4:1 balun at the feedpoint of the T2FD to convert the feed line to 75 ohm coax (which would be unbalance line now) and just clip the center conductor to the whip and the sheild to a grounding rod?

2) I could use 300 ohm ladder line to connect to the T2FD but the problem is that the S350DL does not have a balanced esternal input point on it.

I guess what I am asking is what would be the best way to couple A 300 ohm T2FD antenna to a Crappy Radioshack S350DL receiver and achieve reasonable impedance matching.

I do not what to use an end fed long wire.

Any help would be appreciated.