Old December 27th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default GRUNDIG S350DL QUESTION

JRS:

This review should be of some interest to you:

http://www.amazon.com/Eton-S350DL-Sh.../dp/B0009X6QH4

Regards,
JS

JRS wrote:
I received a Grundig S350DL from my kids for Christmas. I suspect
this unit was a return to Radio Shack. The tuning seems awful sloppy,
and it is difficult to tune in an exact frequency (like 5875, etc).
It will overshoot the target frequency requiring several attempts at
dialing in the exact frequency.

Also, the radio was not wrapped in any kind of protective plastic.
The AC adapter looks like it was used. I know my kids saved a lot of
their money for this gift, but this thing works worse than my older
S350.

Did anyone purchase one of these recently? If so, was your radio
wrapped in a plastic wrapper or bag before being placed in the carton?
Thanks for the help!

John

Old December 27th 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

JRS wrote:
John,

Thanks for the link. I see the tuning issue is not unique to mine.
The only thing I'm wondering is if these radios are wrapped in a
plastic bag or sleeve before being boxed up. The one I have was not
which makes me think someone else owned it and returned it to Radio
Shack.

John

You know, I bought a few weeks back when I got stuck out of town. I
tore apart "the closet" and found the packaging, no plastic bag for the
radio in the box--but I could have tossed that so, that in no reliable
"proof"--sorry I cannot help you more.

While not as sensitive as my commercial receivers, it ain't that bad for
the price--in my humble opinion ... but then, I have gotten used to
stuff made in china

Regards,
JS
Old December 27th 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

John Smith I wrote:
You know, I bought a few weeks back when I got stuck out of town. I

Change to:

You know, I bought one a few weeks back ...

JS
Old December 27th 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Radio Shack has a pretty liberal return/exchange policy.
I would simply exchange it for another unit.

JRS wrote:
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 19:29:51 -0800, John Smith I
wrote:

JRS wrote:
[...]

I want to use it mainly for night time AM listening. For that task,
the receiver works quite well (except for that touching tuning dial).
I do like the radio, but I have a problem with Radio Shack selling
customer returns as new merchandise. Thanks again for your help and
information.

John

Old December 27th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Wavetrapper has a good point. I've tried a few of the S350s and some
were much worse than others on tuning backlash. Take it back to RS and
ask for an exchange. You may get lucky!

Frank

Old December 27th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

JRS wrote:
[...]

After my miserable experience with the S350, I went out and bought some
inexpensive Radio Shack digital PLL radios. Well, I compared the
digital radios and my digital car radio, with the much over-hyped S350,
and they all picked up the same stations. Then, I ran across the
excellent $10 Sony ICF-S10MK2 hand-held analog-tuned radio, and found
that it gets the same stations, as the rest of the above mentioned
radios. Unlike the S350, the tuner is very tight and doesn't seem to
drift (partly because no tuning backlash). After $200 bucks, and a
year later, my digital radios are sitting on the shelf, the
now-returned S350 is probably still sitting on the shelf at RS, and my
Sony sits in my pocket, ready to go. Sigh...

http://www.radiointel.com/review-sonys10mk2.htm

Old December 28th 06, 12:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.radiointel.com/review-sonys10mk2.htm

For ten bucks 'ya just can't go wrong ...

Regards,
JS
Old December 28th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

JRS ) writes:
On 28 Dec 2006 05:01:02 -0800, "wavetrapper" wrote:

If you are going to buy a replacement for the 350, do you know what
model you are likely to get? If you are "starting over", you may want
to consider a model that has the capability of receiving single
sideband.

That Grundig was a Christmas gift from my kids as they know I like to
listen to distant AM radio stations at night. I have an older S350
that's been dragged, dropped, banged around, etc, and they wanted to
replace it for me.

I think both they and I learned that Radio Shack leaves a lot to be
desired as far as business ethics.

As others suggested, I'll probably add a few bucks and go for
something from Sony.

Of course, those ethics may include a too liberal return policy,
so people go through a bunch of radios until they get one that
has the right feel, or people "buying" radios merely to try them
out, and then taking them back. Then Radio Shack is stuck with
radios that aren't really used, but have been out of the box.

A liberal return policy has to be made up somewhere.

Michael

Old December 28th 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

JRS wrote:

Of course, those ethics may include a too liberal return policy,
so people go through a bunch of radios until they get one that
has the right feel, or people "buying" radios merely to try them
out, and then taking them back. Then Radio Shack is stuck with
radios that aren't really used, but have been out of the box.

A liberal return policy has to be made up somewhere.

Michael

The problem here is quite easy to understand (for most people). My
kids bought me a Grundig radio from Radio Shack out of their own money
for Christmas. I noticed a difference in the way it tunes compared to
my older model, and I posted the question about it here.

My kids bought and paid for what they believed was NEW radio. I have
suspicions that it is not new, but a customer return. I am entitled
to a new radio.

Hopefully, RS will soon disappear !

"RadioShack Gets Slammed - Forbes.com"

http://www.forbes.com/business/2006/...adioshack.html

"CEO Facing Child Porn Charges"

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/10218996/detail.html#

Just, one more reason to hate RS ! Great company, to choose for the
Big HD Radio Rollout !

Old December 28th 06, 08:01 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

"CEO Facing Child Porn Charges"

http://www.nbc5i.com/news/10218996/detail.html#

While this does not look good, I would wait to pass judgement.

Child pedo's often compromise a companies system and proxy though it to
obtain their illegal smut.

While the technician did right in notifying the authorities, let the
laws tech people see who was actually doing the illegal activities.

Or, simply put, just because someone parks a stolen car in front of your
house, that doesn't mean YOU stole it!

Regards,
JS