Old March 3rd 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Eton S350DL Antenna

Hello I have an Eton S350DL and live in valley out in western Montana.
I know that this radio is single conversion but I was wondering if
anybody knew of any good, but bargin priced external antennas that
that i could use with my radio and would help me get some better
reception. If not, does anybody have any tips on what I could do to
get some better reception without the use of an external antenna.

Old March 3rd 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 3, 5:44?pm, "cognitive_ethology"
wrote:
Hello I have an Eton S350DL and live in valley out in western Montana.
I know that this radio is single conversion but I was wondering if
anybody knew of any good, but bargin priced external antennas that
that i could use with my radio and would help me get some better
reception. If not, does anybody have any tips on what I could do to
get some better reception without the use of an external antenna.

Oh God - I returned my Grundig S350, a year ago to Radio Shack, just
before I was going to smash it on the garage floor !

Old March 3rd 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yeah I know, I used to have a Grundig yactboy but the batteries
exploded inside it and it would not work, this was the only one I can
currentley afford.

Old March 3rd 07, 11:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Mar 3, 8:54?pm, "cognitive_ethology"
wrote:
Yeah I know, I used to have a Grundig yactboy but the batteries
exploded inside it and it would not work, this was the only one I can
currentley afford.

Sorry, but I had a real bad experience with the S350, and found out
that for AM DXing this $10 Sony gets the same stations:

http://www.radiointel.com/review-sonys10mk2.htm

The S350 is all hype:

http://www.radiointel.com/results2.htm

I heard, that the Grundig/Eton $500 E1 used to have its batteries blow
up too, when used with the AC adaptor. No more Grundig/Tecsun/Eton
Chinese-made junk for me - now, just Sonys.

Old March 4th 07, 12:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

cognitive_ethology schrieb:

Hello I have an Eton S350DL and live in valley out in western Montana.
I know that this radio is single conversion but I was wondering if
anybody knew of any good, but bargin priced external antennas that
that i could use with my radio and would help me get some better
reception.

Shortwave, AM or FM?
AM is simple - a decently large tuned AM loop. Works fine with inductive
coupling. Takes an AM (or AM/FM) tuning capacitor with known max
capacitance (typically 250, 365 or 500 pF), preferably air; PVC/mica
would also work decently, and if you can't get anything but varicap
diodes, even those would work decently (I would suggest using 4 in
total, two times two back-to-back in parallel).
Some loopy theory:
http://www.mindspring.com/~loop_antenna/
FM also isn't too difficult - while I think the 6-element Radio Shack
yagi is discontinued, one should still be able to find something decent
that doesn't cost an arm and a leg in the States. DIY is less common in
this field.
Some antenna simulations (along with other more advanced FM stuff) are
to be found at Brian Beezley's site:
http://users.tns.net/~bb/
Shortwave, hmm - since I guess image rejection and strong signal
handling aren't the Tecsun's strength, a tuned loop seems reasonable in
this case as well. You'll probably be using one turn only, and you'd
have to bother with a coupling loop to feed the rx, but other than that,
what's been said for AM loops also applies.
Sample instructions: http://www.kr1st.com/swlloop.htm

If not, does anybody have any tips on what I could do to
get some better reception without the use of an external antenna.

Hunt down and kill (or turn off) sources of local interference. The
classics are TVs (and other equipment with switching mode power
supplies), dimmers for oldschool incandecents, computers along with
monitors and networking equipment and all kinds of other electronic
gadgetry.

Stephan
--
Home: http://stephan.win31.de/
Signature on vacation, please check back l8r...

Old March 4th 07, 04:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

cognitive_ethology wrote:
Yeah I know, I used to have a Grundig yactboy but the batteries
exploded inside it and it would not work, this was the only one I can
currentley afford.

I don't know, the Grundig s350dl has provided me with some hours of
enjoyment. I purchased it when out of town and was easy to drop into a
RS store and pick up.

I mostly do MW talk show and the big sw broadcasters.

JS
Old March 4th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://tinyurl.com/3a9pwp

I got the PK Tunable AM Radio Loop Antenna on EBay. It works well at
boosting weak AM stations across the border in the US and it helps filter
occasional electronic interference. CBC radio AM 990 picks up a humming
noise at different times of the day, and this loop antenna can tune it out.
It's everything I expected from a loop antenna in this price range.

You can also check out a Terk Advantage. http://tinyurl.com/26nhrt

ups.com...