Old September 1st 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna info needed

I came across a good 2 meter 12 element beam. The boom is aprox 19 ft
long. It has 4 driven elements in a "log" or lattice configuration. I
need info to make the coax connection. Does anyone have an Idea as to
Mfg? The driven elements are spaced about 7 inches apart. It is in
good shape except for the missing connection points.
Thanks, 73's
George
Old September 1st 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"sangeo" wrote in message
I came across a good 2 meter 12 element beam. The boom is aprox 19 ft
long. It has 4 driven elements in a "log" or lattice configuration. I
need info to make the coax connection. Does anyone have an Idea as to
Mfg? The driven elements are spaced about 7 inches apart. It is in
good shape except for the missing connection points.
Thanks, 73's
George

The manufacturer of your antenna may be KLM (SK). I sniffed this out:

http://lists.contesting.com/_towerta.../msg00259.html

Some KLM products rolled into M2 Antenna Systems
http://www.m2inc.com/index2.html It doesn't look like M2 offers any antennas
fed through sleeve baluns or sells any sleeve baluns separately.

Also, I have a two 440 beams with the closely spaced "lattice"
configuration of multiple driven elements -- as you described. They are fed
through quarter sleeve baluns. 16/17 cm long, cut on an angle at the open
end, if it matters. One of the baluns still has the mfr sticker on it.
Would you believe "KLM"? I could post a picture.

From this, I suspect the feed point impedance is close to 50 ohms. I
mention impedance only in passing, as I encountered some references to
impedance transformation through half-wave sleeve baluns. I haven't
investigated that aspect.

I googled for "sleeve balun"and at first glance, this looks OK.

http://www.vhfman.freeuk.com/radio/sleeve.html

Making your own sleeve balun looks easy enough. However, I saw more
than the "normal" share of weird s**t on the 'net about making sleeve
baluns. Sleeve baluns are good -- don't misunderstand. Just be careful.
Read a lot.

Multiple toroids slid onto the coax also form a balun. IIRC, advice was
posted here recently regarding fifty toroids for HF. Could be that toroids
also work well for VHF. Others will know. Good luck and report back.

Old September 1st 08, 08:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Most likely, KLM (formerly owned by Mike Stahl K6MYC , out of business,
last heard) And feed Point is 50 Ohm, Balanced (Unless you also have
the 1/4 wave Balun. The Insulators for the elements, are no longer
available (I Tried to obtain some several years back), and may be
brittle (might want to reinforce them with Epoxy) the feed point of
these was at the element closest to the center of the antenna (boom).
These, if remember were based on the Oliver Swan Patents (he also used
log periodic feed point in his basic antenna, tho think Swan only made
them for 6 meters-- as info, Jim NN7k

Old September 1st 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tam Tam is offline

"sangeo" wrote in message
I came across a good 2 meter 12 element beam. The boom is aprox 19 ft
long. It has 4 driven elements in a "log" or lattice configuration. I
need info to make the coax connection. Does anyone have an Idea as to
Mfg? The driven elements are spaced about 7 inches apart. It is in
good shape except for the missing connection points.
Thanks, 73's
George

I would connect a feedline to the mounting screws of the front most DE and
measure the SWR. If you get anything like 4:1 it is 200 Ohms. The KLM 6m
beam with 2 driven elements requires a 4:1 balun. I have not seen the KLM
2m.

According to an old AES catalog, 2m KLM antennas in this range had boom
lengths of 15.33, 21.5, 12.9, 28 , and a circularly polarized 22 element on
a 19 foot boom; nothing with 12 elements, but it could be older.

Tam/WB2TT

Old September 2nd 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Tam sez:

"sangeo" wrote in message
[...]

The 2 meter one s I had were 50 ohm (2 meter 14 el) somewhere in this
mess I have the "Manual" (more like 3 pages) for it. IF can find ,
can e-mail. Jim NN7K

Old September 3rd 08, 01:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sep 1, 8:58*pm, Jim-NN7K . wrote:
Tam sez:

"sangeo" wrote in message
[...]

can e-mail. *Jim NN7K- Hide quoted text -

Jim, I would appreciate the diagram you have, Any info is good info,
Thanks 73's George w2agr
Old September 3rd 08, 01:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sep 1, 8:58*pm, Jim-NN7K . wrote:
Tam sez:

"sangeo" wrote in message
[...]

My email is

National Antenna Tuner info needed Todd Antenna 0 September 12th 05 03:44 PM
info needed EV-636 MIC DALE PAVLICEK Swap 0 August 13th 04 05:16 PM
<> Echo Sat Info Chuck Equipment 2 July 11th 04 03:50 PM
<> Echo Sat Info Chuck Equipment 0 July 11th 04 04:18 AM
Gotham Antenna info needed Keyboard In The Wilderness Antenna 4 December 5th 03 04:09 PM