Old September 11th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Carolina Windom using 300 ohm ladderline

Cecil Moore wrote in
:

jawod wrote:
Original Windom is a single wire feed OCF dipole

A "dipole" is usually two wires with an insulator between
them. The original Windom was a single wire fed with a
single wire against ground. It's radiation was primarily
vertically polarized. The horizontal wire acted more like
a top hat than a dipole.

Carolina Windom is a twin lead OCF dipole with balun below the twin
lead segment

This is one I was ignorant of - sorry.

New Carolina Windom is a OCF dipole to a 4:1 balun and a short coax
length followed by a 1:1 unun (choke)

I didn't know the present one is a "New" one. My
apologies for my ignorance of the Carolina Windom
history.

P.S. IMO, they should not have called it a "Windom".

Just to add to that, the idea behind the twin lead is that it is supposed
to give some vertical radiation to “fill” in the holes in the pattern cause
by the antenna being longer than a half wave at 20m and above. Seems like a
not so good idea to me. I like the OCF dipole. I’ve had good luck with
them. But they are not a “Holy Grail” antenna, just one more tool to solve
the problem of what antenna to fill a need with. Also the ones I’ve built
and modeled do not work well on 30m or it lest they need a wide range tuner
rather than one that’s built into the radio. One of the other myths is that
OCF’s don’t need a tuner. On most bands they do.

John Passaneau W3JXP

Results: Carolina Windom Rick (W-A-one-R-K-T) Antenna 4 September 7th 07 09:38 PM
FS: Carolina Windom 75 Meter Ant Tim Neff Swap 2 April 30th 06 02:39 PM
FA: Carolina Windom 160M Larry Wilson Swap 0 June 10th 05 09:31 PM
Carolina Windom jimbo Antenna 9 March 16th 05 01:38 PM
carolina windom vs dipole Thierry Antenna 27 September 20th 04 12:30 AM