Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 10th 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Hygain rotor quality decline?

I just installed my third HAMIV rotor; I got about 4 years each from
the previous two. The most recent failure was the pot, with 5-6 turns
worn through at the spot I usually leave the rotor. Makes me think
the brake wasn't working very well. The previous unit was freewheeling;
I don't remember exactly what was wrong. The screws holding the case
together are always corroded in place so any repair becomes less trivial
as they break off. And anyway the inside usually looks bad enough (with
lots of rusted ball bearings) that repair is unappealing.

On the current (new) unit I noticed that one screw hole for the control cable
cover plate was stripped (and they should have noticed too since the screw
was hanging out) and one mounting screw hole was not tapped to full depth
(I had to get a shorter bolt).

I bought the first HAMIV about 8 years ago to replace a HAMM from the
60's (IIRC). They say the HAMIV is an improvement but it certainly
doesn't seem to last as long. Is there another rotor with the same
mounting pattern that might be better? It's an inside-tower mount
so I'm kind of constrained. Maybe I should look at rebuilding the HAMM?
It was seized but I still have it.

If anyone wants the two failed HAMIV rotors for parts let me know or
I will probably toss them soon...

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com