Old October 16th 08, 12:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Default Locating underground conduit

Run a metal snake into the conduit then get a metal detector and sweep
the area for the conduit. If this doesn't work there are wire tracing
detectors that might do the job. You hook the transmitter to the snake
and sweep with the detector.
If all fails you might try a metal probe. Stick the probe into the
ground and feel for the conduit. Or dig up a couple of feet of
conduit. Note the direction it is going then move in that direction
and dig a small trench where you thing the conduit is.
One of these methods should work.
If all fails install new conduit.

Dave WD9BDZ

Dave, your idea above, plus some comments from others has made me
realize that this is the way I should proceed, for my first attempt. I
do have a Service Monitor. I'll simply run my snake into the empty pvc
conduit until it hits the end ( duct tape ) and connect an RF signal to
it, then using a small HT, track the signal down to the end.

My thanks to all for other ideas presented here, too.

Ed K7AAT

Old October 16th 08, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jerry wrote:

That's an excellent idea.... but I really hate water in my electrical
conduits.... I'll use that as a last resort. Thanks.

Ed

When in doubt, couple ways the Pros do it:

1) Run a Metalic Snake thru it, and hook to a (Low Power RF , or a
Fairly high power A.F. source-- follow the snake (above ground with
an inductive sampler ( or rf receiver)) to the end - use a cable
marker (Paint) to follow the duct if needed to find an intermediate
point , then repeat agan if necessary.

2) for those that have access to a "THUMPER", can do the same
Apply high level of sound to the PVC, and use a listening device
to follow the noise, in the ground.

Works for locating buried cables for utilities- should work for you!
Jim NN7K
Old October 16th 08, 04:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Jim-NN7K" . wrote in message
Jerry wrote:

That's an excellent idea.... but I really hate water in my electrical
conduits.... I'll use that as a last resort. Thanks.

Ed

When in doubt, couple ways the Pros do it:

1) Run a Metalic Snake thru it, and hook to a (Low Power RF , or a
Fairly high power A.F. source-- follow the snake (above ground with
an inductive sampler ( or rf receiver)) to the end - use a cable
marker (Paint) to follow the duct if needed to find an intermediate
point , then repeat agan if necessary.

2) for those that have access to a "THUMPER", can do the same
Apply high level of sound to the PVC, and use a listening device
to follow the noise, in the ground.

Works for locating buried cables for utilities- should work for you!
Jim NN7K

What an interesting thread!

How about one of those 'stage' smoke machines pumped into the open end?

VK5JE

Old October 16th 08, 04:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ed wrote:

I know this is slightly off topic, but since I am intending to run
some RF cable in the conduit, and since there are a lot of intelligent
hams on this group, I will proceed anyway:

Last year at the beginning of construction of a new house I buried
about 50 feet of 3/4" Sched. 40 PVD between the house and a location on
the property perimeter. Now that I am ready to use it, I can not
locate the perimeter end.... it is somewhere in about a 10' area, and the
end curves up to probably about a foot underground.

The ground is nearly pure sand, and is well landscaped now to the
point that I do not want to randomly dig it up.

The end terminated in an elbow curving up and is well duct taped
shut.

Can anyone suggest a method or equipment I might use to locate that
far end?

Tnx.

Ed K7AAT

Another simple way - the old Native American waiting for a train
method. Push the fish tape all the way until it stops. Person 1 keeps
ramming the fish tape and person 2 puts ear to ground near far end and
listens for it. Needs no batteries or smoke.

Nix the water. I like the compressed air trick, Just don't look
directly at the conduit end . .

--
"From spongecake to satellites, it's gotta be Krebstar"

Old October 16th 08, 05:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Another simple way - the old Native American waiting for a train
method. Push the fish tape all the way until it stops. Person 1 keeps
ramming the fish tape and person 2 puts ear to ground near far end and
listens for it. Needs no batteries or smoke.

I like that! I will try it before bothering to hook up an RF source to
the fish tape!

Ed K7AAT
Old October 16th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

How about one of those 'stage' smoke machines pumped into the open
end?

VK5JE

That's a good one, too, but in my case, I KNOW that I duct taped the
end of the conduit in such a manner that it is truly air tight... even
possibly under pressure. Thanks anyway.

Ed
Old October 16th 08, 06:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 20:58:55 -0700, Cable Shill
wrote:

Another simple way - the old Native American waiting for a train
method. Push the fish tape all the way until it stops. Person 1 keeps
ramming the fish tape and person 2 puts ear to ground near far end and
listens for it. Needs no batteries or smoke.

Nix the water. I like the compressed air trick, Just don't look
directly at the conduit end . .

Well, how about combining the two methods? Find some flex lawn drip
irrigation tubing. Attach a bosons whistle to the end and shove it
through the pipe. Add compressed air and it should scream like a
banshee. That should be easy to hear through the sand. Maybe the
duct tape will act as a diaphragm.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 16th 08, 08:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ed wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the compliment. I wish you luck and envy you for your acreage
for antenna's. My lot here in St. Louis is something like 40 feet by
120 feet with the house in the center. I do have some trees along the
back alley that I have wire hanging from. Works but not optimal.
Let us know how everything works out.

Dave WD9BDZ

Old October 16th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Plumbers power snake for sewers... Rent it at the rent it shop... It
will auger up through that duct tape and sand like it is tissue
paper...

denny/ k8do