Old October 25th 08, 06:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Locating underground conduit

"D. Stussy" wrote in
:

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
Jerry wrote:
"JIMMIE" wrote in message

.
..
On Oct 15, 1:17 am, Ed wrote:
I know this is slightly off topic, but since I am intending to run
some RF cable in the conduit, and since there are a lot of
intelligent hams on this group, I will proceed anyway:

Last year at the beginning of construction of a new house I buried
about 50 feet of 3/4" Sched. 40 PVD between the house and a
location on the property perimeter. Now that I am ready to use it,
I can not locate the perimeter end.... it is somewhere in about a
10' area, and

the
end curves up to probably about a foot underground.

The ground is nearly pure sand, and is well landscaped now to the
point that I do not want to randomly dig it up.

The end terminated in an elbow curving up and is well duct taped
shut.

Can anyone suggest a method or equipment I might use to locate
that far end?

Tnx.

Ed K7AAT

I have some pipe that I had run for an outdoor spigot that I never
finished installing. To test a method of finding it I shot some
air into it the other end was pretty easy to find by listening. I
could hear the rush of air and a lot of gurgling. My dog actually
found it in the roses bushes before I did.

Jimmie

Hi Jimmie

That "air" idea wont work, Jeff told me so

Quote Jeff --

"Welcome to rec.radio.amateur.antenna.physics

It can work, because what you are trying to do is not to move a lot
of air and sand, but try to make some noise. And you don't have to
move a whole lot of sand to do that. As long as the pipes stay
together, some air will make it out of the open end and make some
noise.

And where is the air going to escape? He said he duct-taped the end
shut. With enough pressure, he'll have a blow-out, but that could also
result in getting dirt inside the pipe, which I believe wouldn't be
good. However, short of that, there's no hole for the air make
noise....

He knows the length and direction. He should be able to make an
educated guess as where to dig.

That duct tape isn't at all likely to seal the pipe; some air will
escape - One of the reason's we don't repair flat tires with duct tape.
8^)

As an example of sound traveling underground, here in the
battleground state of PA, there are a lot of places where there are
streams underground. A tiny trickle of water can be heard even by my bad
ears, several feet underground.

- 73 de Mike N3LI
Old October 26th 08, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

As an example of sound traveling underground, here in the
battleground state of PA, there are a lot of places where there are
streams underground. A tiny trickle of water can be heard even by my
bad ears, several feet underground.

One little thing in my situation, we're about 1/3 mile away from the
Pacific North West Ocean surf and believe me, it is genearlly quite
loud.... enough to preclude hearing delicate sounds in the soil at times.
It took a relatively quiet day just to hear the fish tape rattling.

Ed :^)

Old October 28th 08, 10:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 11:07:22 -0700, Jim Lux
wrote:

JosephKK wrote:
On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:38:46 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:22:33 -0700, Jim Lux
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
To bring things back to ham radio antennas, we had a Motorola
Breakie-Backie "portable" radio in the float on 2 meters.
It's a challenge to put antennas on floats and meet the TORC
requirements for only vegetable matter to be exposed. We got a special
dispensation for our 23cm ATV from the JPL float.

http://www.luxfamily.com/events/rose2005/roseatv.htm
Things sure have changed in 40 years.

Nicely done float. How tall is it? We had stability problems with
some of the floats. The parade route was fine, but entering Victory
Park at the end was tricky. One year, some of the floats almost
tipped over.

Don't recall how tall it was, but it laid back down to get under the
overpass at the end of the route. It was built by professional float
builders (Phoenix)
http://floatcam.caltech.edu/ has a link to video clips during
construction, etc.

70 & 71? Maybe you met Dave Steinfeld of TORRA . I worked with him
for some years back in the day (80's).

Would that be WA6ZVE? He works in the RF Cal lab here at JPL.

That call sign sounds right. The home / station address matches the
lookup to my address book. That is a good enough match for me.