Old December 19th 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Would a discone cover all the US TV broadcast Freqs?

JB wrote:
"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
I want to put up the smallest outdoor antenna that would cover all TV
Broadcast Freqs being used after Feb 2009. The log-periodicals are too
"un-stealthy" to go unnoticed by the XYL, but I think a little discone

with
some black paint might escape her inspection as long as I do the
installation while she's out shopping.
Question is - have any of you used one for TV - and if so, how did it
perform? would it cover the TV broadcast freqs ? (I'm aware of its lack

of
gain - I'm within 5 miles of most local stations, and within 20 miles of a
couple more.)
Thanks
Hal W4PMJ

Why not just put a normal antenna up in the garage or the attic? A small
yagi should do it. You can remove the UHF reflectors if there is plenty of
signal. Even cut half of the UHF directors without much loss. Bring it up
in the rafters and spread it out. Not near as good as on the roof but you
can always put it up normally when she finds out about it anyway.

That last sentence is the point here. She'll find out anyhow.

Hal, it might be time for the "talk". My XYL hates antennas. When I
wanted to put up my dipole and vertical, she groused a lot about it. My
reply was that I keep the yard beautiful, put in lots of landscaping,
and a pond. Now I would like to have a couple antennas for my hobby that
are pretty unobtrusive. Maybe I'm in the wrong hobby? Maybe I should
take up going out to bars, and hanging out with loose women. At least
with radio, you know where I am every night.

The antennas went up.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old December 19th 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Dec 19, 9:13*am, Michael Coslo wrote:
JB wrote:
"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

LOL, SAME STORY HERE.

Jimmie
Old December 19th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JB wrote:
"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
[...]

Amen brothers. If not for decent women and antenna arguments, we'd all
be in trouble!

Regards,
JS
Old December 19th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
Amen brothers. If not for decent women and antenna arguments, we'd all
be in trouble!

I guess I should get married - know any decent women?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old December 19th 08, 11:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
Amen brothers. If not for decent women and antenna arguments, we'd
all be in trouble!

I guess I should get married - know any decent women?

Got the last one!

However, every once-in-awhile, one is "traded in" (low milage, only one
owner, good paint, etc.) and becomes available ... I'll keep my eyes
open for ya'.

However, I got a "model/make" from Texas. Couldn't find a decent
"model" made in California! (complete! with authentic Texas accent. :-) )

Regards,
JS

Old December 20th 08, 04:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
Amen brothers. If not for decent women and antenna arguments, we'd
all be in trouble!

I guess I should get married - know any decent women?

Why would anyone on earth want a "decent" woman when there are
so many bad women available?
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old December 20th 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
"JB" wrote:

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
[...]

You are aware that many of the DTV signal are UHF band? Right?

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Old December 20th 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
"Hal Rosser" wrote:

I want to put up the smallest outdoor antenna that would cover all TV
Broadcast Freqs being used after Feb 2009. The log-periodicals are too
"un-stealthy" to go unnoticed by the XYL, but I think a little discone with
some black paint might escape her inspection as long as I do the
installation while she's out shopping.
Question is - have any of you used one for TV - and if so, how did it
perform? would it cover the TV broadcast freqs ? (I'm aware of its lack of
gain - I'm within 5 miles of most local stations, and within 20 miles of a
couple more.)
Thanks
Hal W4PMJ

Tell her she can't watch her favorite showss, during a storm, without a
good antenna....

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
Old December 20th 08, 10:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:

You are aware that many of the DTV signal are UHF band? Right?

This:
"Are DTV signals broadcast on special frequencies?

No. DTV broadcasts use exactly the same channels as regular analog
television. While many DTV stations are now occupying UHF broadcast
channels, broadcasters are allowed to move back to their original VHF or
UHF TV channel once the transition to DTV is complete.

The only caveat is that TV channels 51 through 69 will be auctioned off
for other uses at the end of the transition to digital TV. Stations who
originally had analog channels in this band will have to move, no matter
what.

One potential problem with re-using low VHF (2-6) TV channels for DTV is
the possibility of interference from other signals during certain times
of the year. "Skip" may bring in distant broadcasts on the same channel
and create interference. Impulse noise is also a problem on low VHF
channels. What’s more, the physical size of low VHF and high VHF
antennas is much larger than that of a UHF antenna.

Tests so far seem to indicate that high VHF channels (7-13) are quite
well suited for DTV broadcasts, and many broadcasters plan to move back
to their high VHF channels at the end of the transition. VHF
transmitters also cost much less money to operate than UHF transmitters."

From he
http://www.avsforum.com/hdtvfaq/HDTV...20frequencies?

Regards,
JS
Old December 21st 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Tom Donaly" wrote in message
Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
Amen brothers. If not for decent women and antenna arguments, we'd
all be in trouble!

I guess I should get married - know any decent women?

Why would anyone on earth want a "decent" woman when there are
so many bad women available?
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Because the bad women get you into fights, jail, divorce court and strip you
of your wealth so you wind up paying for their parties while they line up
new suckers and try to shame you for not making their fantasies more
complete.

Remember their kind of bad is much worse than we give them credit for.

Case in point: Last one had the fantasy that a husband should be willing to
die for her. Made her heart go pitter-patter. Thought of men as some kind
of pet or other species. I told her to go buy a Doberman.

I find it takes a exhaustive baby-sitting type of investigation of at least
2 years before they let their hair down and show you their true mind.

Antenna to cover AM broadcast to 999 mhz? ve2cjw Antenna 6 February 26th 07 06:33 PM
HF discone ????????????? Spock Antenna 5 April 15th 06 08:59 AM
US BPL Interference : microjamming in essence - just like the USSR used to jam the SW bands; however, entire broadcast band in US is affected! Goal : eleminate all possible SW broadcast listening... HireMe.geek.nz Shortwave 2 November 21st 04 05:30 AM
discone antenna Gene Shortwave 19 August 25th 04 05:04 AM
Discone ant on 144/440? Amigaman Antenna 8 October 2nd 03 10:57 PM