Old December 17th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Would a discone cover all the US TV broadcast Freqs?

I want to put up the smallest outdoor antenna that would cover all TV
Broadcast Freqs being used after Feb 2009. The log-periodicals are too
"un-stealthy" to go unnoticed by the XYL, but I think a little discone with
some black paint might escape her inspection as long as I do the
installation while she's out shopping.
Question is - have any of you used one for TV - and if so, how did it
perform? would it cover the TV broadcast freqs ? (I'm aware of its lack of
gain - I'm within 5 miles of most local stations, and within 20 miles of a
couple more.)
Thanks
Hal W4PMJ

Old December 17th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
I want to put up the smallest outdoor antenna that would cover all TV
Broadcast Freqs being used after Feb 2009. The log-periodicals are too
"un-stealthy" to go unnoticed by the XYL, but I think a little discone with
some black paint might escape her inspection as long as I do the
installation while she's out shopping.
Question is - have any of you used one for TV - and if so, how did it
perform? would it cover the TV broadcast freqs ? (I'm aware of its lack
of gain - I'm within 5 miles of most local stations, and within 20 miles
of a couple more.)
Thanks
Hal W4PMJ

-----------

It should work just fine, barring multipath. Multipath with digital signals
does not produce ghosting, just signal degradation, although it can be so
bad as to make viewing spotty with dropouts. I'd give it a go if I already
had the antenna.

Ed, N2ECW

Old December 17th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
I want to put up the smallest outdoor antenna that would cover all TV
Broadcast Freqs being used after Feb 2009. The log-periodicals are too
"un-stealthy" to go unnoticed by the XYL, but I think a little discone

with
some black paint might escape her inspection as long as I do the
installation while she's out shopping.
Question is - have any of you used one for TV - and if so, how did it
perform? would it cover the TV broadcast freqs ? (I'm aware of its lack

of
gain - I'm within 5 miles of most local stations, and within 20 miles of a
couple more.)
Thanks
Hal W4PMJ

Discone is vertically polarized and TV is horizontal. Results in a 15db or
more loss in signal.

Old December 17th 08, 09:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

JB wrote:
Discone is vertically polarized and TV is horizontal. Results in a 15db or
more loss in signal.

How about a dual-discone mounted horizontally?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old December 17th 08, 09:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Dec 17, 4:05*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
JB wrote:
Discone is vertically polarized and TV is horizontal. *Results in a 15db or
more loss in signal.

How about a dual-discone mounted horizontally?
--
73, Cecil *http://www.w5dxp.com

At five miles an old coat hanger would probably work well. Years ago I
lived in a townhouse apartment that had cable but you bought it
through the apartment at a premium rate compared to the cable company.
I put a coat hangar dipole in the attic and connected it to there
wiring. I got ABC, CBS,NBC 3 PBS stations and a couple of local non
affiliated stations. Way more TV than I wanted.

Old December 17th 08, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Hal Rosser" wrote in message
I want to put up the smallest outdoor antenna that would cover all TV
Broadcast Freqs being used after Feb 2009. The log-periodicals are too
"un-stealthy" to go unnoticed by the XYL, but I think a little discone with
some black paint might escape her inspection as long as I do the
installation while she's out shopping.
Question is - have any of you used one for TV - and if so, how did it
perform? would it cover the TV broadcast freqs ? (I'm aware of its lack
of gain - I'm within 5 miles of most local stations, and within 20 miles
of a couple more.)
Thanks
Hal W4PMJ

It probably won't take too much antenna of anykind to get the digital
signals. I bought a converter for an old set and hooked it to a 432 antenna
about 20 feet off the ground and got about 20 stations. Then hooked it to
a M2 9 element 2 meter horizontal beam at 60 feet and got 29 stations on
autotune. I am probably 20 miles or more from the nearest station . More
like 30 or 40 miles from most.

Old December 17th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
JB wrote:
Discone is vertically polarized and TV is horizontal. Results in a
15db or
more loss in signal.

How about a dual-discone mounted horizontally?

AKA a Bi-Conical..

That's basically what a George Brown Super Turnstile uses.. Fan dipoles
which approximate a biconical.
Old December 18th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

How about a dual-discone mounted horizontally?

AKA a Bi-Conical..

Seems like a waste of a perfectly good pair of communications discones,
to me. If the original poster is looking for a low visual antenna in place
of the sometimes large TV Yagi's, he might take a look at antennas made
for the RV industry.

Personally, I'd homebrew something out of brass welding rods.....
perhaps a few stacked horizontal loops......

Ed K7AAT
Old December 18th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
JB wrote:
Discone is vertically polarized and TV is horizontal. Results in a 15db
or
more loss in signal.

How about a dual-discone mounted horizontally?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

If I did that, the omi-directionality (if that's a word) would go away and
so would most of the compactness needed foe stealthiness.
So - does anyone know of an omni directional horizontally polarized wide
band antenna?

Old December 18th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Personally, I'd homebrew something out of brass welding rods.....
perhaps a few stacked horizontal loops......

Ed K7AAT

I like making my own also - so would a few 'nested loop' antennas cover the
tv broadcast band? But there goes the stealth.

Antenna to cover AM broadcast to 999 mhz? ve2cjw Antenna 6 February 26th 07 06:33 PM
HF discone ????????????? Spock Antenna 5 April 15th 06 08:59 AM
US BPL Interference : microjamming in essence - just like the USSR used to jam the SW bands; however, entire broadcast band in US is affected! Goal : eleminate all possible SW broadcast listening... HireMe.geek.nz Shortwave 2 November 21st 04 05:30 AM
discone antenna Gene Shortwave 19 August 25th 04 05:04 AM
Discone ant on 144/440? Amigaman Antenna 8 October 2nd 03 10:57 PM