Old February 21st 09, 09:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
boB boB is offline

Default 2009 Hybrid cars with HF radio and RFI

Does anybody have experience with any of the 2009 Prius or Honda
civic hybrid cars with HF installed ?? I hear that at least 2006
Prius' have quite a bit of RF interference that evidently can be
cleaned up quite a bit.... BUT, how about the 2009 Prius OR 2009
Honda Civic Hybrids.

And, any experience on HF antenna mounting on the Honda hybrid ??

boB , K7IQ
Old March 4th 09, 02:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 21, 3:10*am, boB boB@ wrote:
Does anybody have experience with any of the 2009 *Prius or Honda
civic hybrid cars with HF installed ?? * *I hear that at least 2006
Prius' have quite a bit of RF interference that evidently can be
cleaned up quite a bit.... *BUT, how about the 2009 Prius OR 2009
Honda Civic Hybrids.

And, any experience on HF antenna mounting on the Honda hybrid ??

boB , K7IQ

Have no ideas about the noise. I'm running a Corolla.
But from an antenna mounting issue, any of these small
cars are a real pain when it comes to mounting a "good"
HF antenna. Any antenna of weight will need a strong mount,
and the sheet metal on these cars is pretty thin.
So you either have to rig up some kind of below body mount,
like a hitch mount or whatever, or use a lighter antenna on a
body or trunk mount. IE: ham sticks, or other fairly light antennas.
Some use the roof magnet mounts, but I'm paranoid of messing
the paint up, or creasing the metal when I try to yank one off.
I could use a trunk lip mount with a light antenna. Might be my
best option..
The last Honda Accord I had, I cut a hole in the trunk for a
mount. But I had to reinforce the whole bottom of the trunk lid
for it to be strong enough to handle my antenna. I used thin
steel plates, and a large steel circle plate at the base of the
antenna.
But.. I just can't bring myself to do that to my present car,
which has not a single dent in it.. :/ It's still like new basically,
and I just haven't been able to get myself to drill holes.
I know on the Accord, even with the reinforcement, it eventually
slightly warped the trunk metal. Not real bad, but noticeable.
And I don't want to take that chance with this car.
So far I've been going radio less.. I just take my radio
with me and use it portable when I get where I'm going.
If I try a mount, it will probably be a trunk lip mount if I can
be fairly sure it won't damage the trunk. And I'll probably
stick to pretty light antennas.
BTW, I hate bumper and hitch mounts cuz the antenna
base is too low to the ground, and the ground losses are
excessive vs a body mount.
I still have two trucks, both with good antenna mounts,
but I don't drive them as much as I used to. They guzzle
gas vs the car.