Old April 7th 09, 04:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
MTV MTV is offline

Default Phillystran guy cable material?

Any clues on how much better this nonmetallic guy material would be than
equivalent wire rope? How much effect would it have on an HF yagi at the
top of tower up 2-3' on a mast? Would it be worth an extra $50 plus
special end kits?

Also, should wire rope guys be insulated from attachment to the tower?

This is my first tower, a Glen Martin w/Hazer.

Marv
W5MTV
Old April 8th 09, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

MTV wrote:
Any clues on how much better this nonmetallic guy material would be than
equivalent wire rope? How much effect would it have on an HF yagi at the
top of tower up 2-3' on a mast? Would it be worth an extra $50 plus
special end kits?

Also, should wire rope guys be insulated from attachment to the tower?

This is my first tower, a Glen Martin w/Hazer.

Marv
W5MTV

Hi Marv:

The phillystran should be "transparent" to radio waves and should have
no measurable effect on any antenna. Wire rope will have some effect on
antennas. There was an report in QST some years back that had some
measurements on the effects. You may be able to find it on the ARRL web
site.
I think the end kits are required to install Phillystran. I don't think
you can use it just like wire rope.

John Passaneau W3JXP
Old April 8th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
MTV MTV is offline

John Passaneau wrote:
MTV wrote:
[...]

Thanks!
I'll check ARRL for a report.

Marv
Old April 8th 09, 05:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

at one time, there was a very active and quite good user group that centered
around ham towers. It seems like it was something called "towertalk", but
I don't find it in my list of active groups.

If you could locate and post in that group, you would get a LOT of info....

http://www.contesting.com/FAQ/towertalk

good luck..

73 de Jim K4PYT

WTB a bunch of small diameter PHILLYSTRAN Josh Swap 0 September 13th 04 10:09 PM
Antenna Material PDRUNEN Antenna 11 June 22nd 04 12:08 PM
What material for antenna? Jeremy Becnel Antenna 11 April 21st 04 06:00 AM
Anechoic Material Vishad Homebrew 0 April 6th 04 03:12 AM
Beam material Tim Antenna 2 January 11th 04 03:29 PM