Old June 4th 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Hexbeam Antenna Modeling

On Jun 4, 1:09*pm, "J.B. Wood" wrote:

Hello, Steve, and all. *Steve, I see you also have an informative
article that is posted online atwww.antennex.com/preview/Dec507/hexbeam.pdf

Yes, that article described the process by which I arrived at the
broadband version.

Since then there have been a couple of write-ups in the monthly
Antenna column of RadioCommunication magazine, and RSGB published the
design in their recent book "Building successful HF antennas". You may
also have seen Leo's (K4KIO) constructional article in the March
edition of QST. All that has generated quite a lot of interest in the
antenna.

I try to avoid exagerated claims for the design - at the end of the
day it's a "compressed" Yagi and performs as such. But it does provide
useful directivity over the five bands 20m thru 10m, with a single
feedline, in a size which suits those of us that don't have a lot of
space. It's also pretty easy to construct from readily-available
materials, although a number of folk now supply complete kits,
including K4KIO and more recently DX Engineering.

73,
Steve G3TXQ
Old June 4th 09, 10:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"J.B. Wood" wrote :
Thanks for the reply, Steve. As for exaggerated claims, I'd have to give
the award to the designers of (and explainers of the "theory" behind) the
Crossed-Field Antenna (CFA). (Of course the CFA has been the subject of
numerous antenneX articles but I'm not placing yours in that group!) 73s,

I guess that you haven't seen info provided by Art on his shoe-box
sized 160M thru whatever antenna that has +9 db gain, and a pencil-thin beam
of radiated particles. Art's technical expertise beats the crap out of the
CFA
guys, as HE (Art) improves on Maxwell's and Gauss' equations, too. And all
of this from a retired mechanical engineer, working in his backyard!

Mike W5CHR
Memphis

Old June 5th 09, 03:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

J.B. Wood wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Steve. As for exaggerated claims, I'd have to
give the award to the designers of (and explainers of the "theory"
behind) the Crossed-Field Antenna (CFA). (Of course the CFA has been
the subject of numerous antenneX articles but I'm not placing yours in
that group!) 73s,

Here's my candidate for the award, embodied in a U.S. patent:
http://tinyurl.com/h546u

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old June 8th 09, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
J.B. Wood wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Steve. As for exaggerated claims, I'd have to
give the award to the designers of (and explainers of the "theory"
behind) the Crossed-Field Antenna (CFA). (Of course the CFA has been
the subject of numerous antenneX articles but I'm not placing yours in
that group!) 73s,

Here's my candidate for the award, embodied in a U.S. patent:
http://tinyurl.com/h546u

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

This particular antenna has the useful property of enhancing plant
growth too..

"
It has been observed by the inventor and witnesses that accelerated
plant growth can occur using the present invention.
"

I think David Strom knew what we was writing about. He deserves a beer.
Old June 8th 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Thu, 04 Jun 2009 19:30:29 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

Here's my candidate for the award, embodied in a U.S. patent:
http://tinyurl.com/h546u
Roy Lewallen, W7EL

The link first returned:
crt0: ERROR couldn't open /usr/lib/dld.sl errno:000000023
Error #1010
Error: Filter Process terminated abnormally. Document may be
truncated.

A few minutes later, it was:
Error #1006
Error!
BRS was unable to process your request. A diagnostic message was
mailed to the appropriate personnel.

I hate days like this.... Eventually the patent appeared, but no
illustrations on that page. Instead, see:
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=csYDAAAAEBAJ&dq=6,025,810
for the schematics, illustrations and a parts list. Hmmm.... only
works above 1000F temperature. Googling a bit deeper, I find that the
patent holder, David L. Strom, is currently a real estate agent in
Colorado.
http://www.homethinking.com/180340-David-L-Strom-Coldwell-Banker-Strom--Associates-Inc.html

patent # 6025810 if you use the http://www.uspto.gov/ site..

Some day, we'll all be talking about the famous '810 Strom patent, just
like folks in the semiconductor industry talk about the '275 Kilby patent

Here's my favorite:
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=N_sEAAAAEBAJ&dq=5,982,276
Not exactly an antenna. It uses a MASER to (somehow) magnetically
couple Gigabit data to the power lines. The company is still around:
http://www.mediafusionllc.net

And reforming:
"The Media Fusion Team is now re-forming. Mr. William "Luke" Stewart
will act a temporary President and Chief Executive as well as Chief
Scientist. As other key resources are identified and recruited they
will become part of the Media Fusion, LLC Team. A recruiting committee
has been formed and recommendations are now being considered."

perhaps because of
15 dec 2006.. Preliminary settlement agreement signed by the honorable
Judge Ann Ashby, presiding Judge, 134th District Court, Dallas, Texas.
Old June 9th 09, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 08 Jun 2009 11:11:44 -0700, Jim Lux
wrote:

Here's my favorite:
http://www.google.com/patents/about?id=N_sEAAAAEBAJ&dq=5,982,276
Not exactly an antenna. It uses a MASER to (somehow) magnetically
couple Gigabit data to the power lines. The company is still around:
http://www.mediafusionllc.net

And reforming:
"The Media Fusion Team is now re-forming. Mr. William "Luke" Stewart
will act a temporary President and Chief Executive as well as Chief
Scientist. As other key resources are identified and recruited they
will become part of the Media Fusion, LLC Team. A recruiting committee
has been formed and recommendations are now being considered."

perhaps because of
15 dec 2006.. Preliminary settlement agreement signed by the honorable
Judge Ann Ashby, presiding Judge, 134th District Court, Dallas, Texas.

The old web sites are rather interesting:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.mediafusionllc.net

My favorite is the photos of the interface controller built into a
wall outlet box:
http://web.archive.org/web/20000229124801/www.mediafusionllc.net/northamerica/main/tech/interface.html
I showed it to a friend in the power industry who had some interesting
things to say about sharing a power outlet box with phone and cable.
However, the 14 flashing lights are kinda cool.

The problem with such patents is that if someone actually invents a
decent way to couple, distribute, and switch gigabit data on the power
lines, they'll end up in court fighting this patent. This is also
known as a "blocking patent".

It's sometimes fun to see where they spend their money. In 1999, they
burned $120K on lobbying. In 2000, they only wasted $70K.
https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?lname=Media+Fusion+LLC&id=Y000003383 20&year=1999

Also, I dunno about the FTL (faster than light) antenna design. That
implies that the acknowledgements will arrive before the
transmissions, which will surely confuse a T/R switch. Perhaps a
predictive T/R switch will help (one that switches before one intends
to switch it).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old June 10th 09, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
. . .
Also, I dunno about the FTL (faster than light) antenna design. That
implies that the acknowledgements will arrive before the
transmissions, which will surely confuse a T/R switch. Perhaps a
predictive T/R switch will help (one that switches before one intends
to switch it).

The cool thing is that you'll get the QSL card before you have the QSO.
If no QSL comes, don't bother with the QSO.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Modeling Slot Antenna David Antenna 5 September 11th 06 11:23 PM
Antenna modeling turorial? Ken Knecht Antenna 9 June 23rd 05 02:45 AM
Antenna modeling art Antenna 10 January 26th 05 02:14 PM
antenna modeling question larry d clark Antenna 1 January 29th 04 03:52 PM
Hexbeam vs. Cushcraft MA5B RC Antenna 1 October 12th 03 08:06 PM