Old June 20th 09, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default i am going to put a tv ant on my 100ft tower

i going to expermint with this just to see how many dtv i can dx and fm
also not shure what kind of ant i should try i was thinking to yagi ant
side by side or the big uhf bay looking type also a channel
master amp

Old June 21st 09, 06:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John Bose" wrote in message
i going to expermint with this just to see how many dtv i can dx and fm
also not shure what kind of ant i should try i was thinking to yagi ant
side by side or the big uhf bay looking type also a channel
master amp

If you have the money, a yagi antenna for VHF channels 7 - 13 would be my
recommendation for TV. There are also FM yagis. I don't beleive any
so-called "All Channel" antenna will peform as well as an antenna intended
for a limited band.

UHF TV is tricky and unreliable. About the only thing to recommend it is the
high gain antennas tou can build on a smaller boom. In my opinion, VHF 7 -
13 is a better hunting ground.

Old June 22nd 09, 03:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

ok thanks for the tip

Old July 6th 09, 01:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Sal M. Onella wrote:
"John Bose" wrote in message
i going to expermint with this just to see how many dtv i can dx and fm
also not shure what kind of ant i should try i was thinking to yagi ant
side by side or the big uhf bay looking type also a channel
master amp

If you have the money, a yagi antenna for VHF channels 7 - 13 would be my
recommendation for TV. There are also FM yagis. I don't beleive any
so-called "All Channel" antenna will peform as well as an antenna intended
for a limited band.

UHF TV is tricky and unreliable. About the only thing to recommend it is the
high gain antennas tou can build on a smaller boom. In my opinion, VHF 7 -
13 is a better hunting ground.

I lived in Chicago in 1962-63 and DX'ed channel 2 in Miami at 5:30 A.M.
in the winter. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes not. That was back in
the days of test signals, many with the Indian, and I took snapshots of
the screen with my camera. No VCR's back then either.
Bill Baka
Old July 6th 09, 07:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Bill" wrote in message

snip

I lived in Chicago in 1962-63 and DX'ed channel 2 in Miami at 5:30 A.M.
in the winter. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes not. That was back in
the days of test signals, many with the Indian, and I took snapshots of
the screen with my camera. No VCR's back then either.

I never did that well. Late night Buffalo NY received in Norfolk VA was my
best (1969). The picture was good enough a bunch of us sat around and
watched the movie!

Norfolk was an interesting location -- just a few local stations in those
days, so it was good for DX. I was at sea level, but I had a 50-foot mast
and no surrounding obstacles.

Channel 5 was funny. With the antenna aimed approx northeast, we got
Channel 5 from Washington DC. Then, without changing the channel, we
rotated CCW and got Channel 5 in Washington again, but it was Washington,
NC, a completely different station.

Sal

Old July 6th 09, 06:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 23:45:01 -0700, "Sal M. Onella"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
. ..

snip

[...]

Hi All,

With a small TV antenna from Sears (like Sal, back in the mid 60s), up
5 feet above the roof (split level), on the crest of a hill (6200 feet
in Colorado Springs), I was able to DX Calgary and Edmonton.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old July 7th 09, 05:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Richard Clark" wrote in message

snip

... 6200 feet in Colorado Springs

Now, THAT'S a tower!

Old July 8th 09, 07:57 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Sal M. Onella wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

snip

[...]

Miami was my best ever. Sometimes I could get WCCO in Minneapolis, Grand
Rapids, Michigan, and a few stations from Iowa. I had the biggest
antenna you could buy with a CDR (real) rotator and a nuvistor amp at
the antenna. Plus a 30' mast on top of the house. A bit over the top for
a 13 year old but it kept me out of trouble and drove my parents nuts to
have the TV turned on at 5:00 A.M. When that was not giving me signals I
went to my room and fired up the Hallicrafters S-108 with a 200' antenna
out to the fence in the back yard. Not ideal but I got the whole world
at one point or another.
I was not your average 13 year old, more like a prototype geek.
Bill Baka
Old July 8th 09, 08:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Clark wrote:
On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 23:45:01 -0700, "Sal M. Onella"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message

snip

[...]

In California we would call that hill a mountain. DX'ing here is only
north and south since I am in the central valley north of Sacramento,
but I did sometimes get Reno, Nevada. It only worked up to channel 5 and
then 6 and 7 were somewhere higher, then 8 to 13 were too high for any
DX'ing stuff. UHF barely even existed back then unless you got a
converter box, which I did not.

Now I am back to my Hammarlund HQ-129 and an RME DB-20 tuned pre-amp.
The Hammarlund barely needs it but it does help some for getting C.B. on
the top.

Bill Baka
Old July 8th 09, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bill wrote:
Richard Clark wrote:

Hi All,

With a small TV antenna from Sears (like Sal, back in the mid 60s), up
5 feet above the roof (split level), on the crest of a hill (6200 feet
in Colorado Springs), I was able to DX Calgary and Edmonton.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

In California we would call that hill a mountain. . .

Depending on where you are in Colorado Springs, you could be at 6200
feet without being on a hill at all, and it probably wasn't any more
than 200 feet high since the lowest point in town is more than 6000 feet
above sea level. The propagation wouldn't be any better than on top of
that size hill anywhere else. Here in Oregon, a 200 footer is barely a
"hill", and certainly not a "mountain".

So if 200 feet is a "mountain" in California, what do you call Whitney
and Shasta, and the Sierra?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
-- who used to live in a valley at 5200 feet above sea level. . .

Tower height question (moved thread from tower pro NG) Merlin-7 KI4ILB Antenna 4 December 4th 06 12:34 AM
WTB Universal Tower Sections (aluminum tower) DOUGLAS SNOWDEN Swap 0 November 9th 04 02:34 AM
FS: 100ft HELIAX 7/8" AL G. Swap 0 September 8th 03 12:06 PM
Tower Wars: FL Citizens Protect the kids from evil Ham with lightening attracting tower. Keith Policy 0 August 29th 03 06:55 AM
WTB: 95-100ft 7/8 Heliax AL G. Swap 0 August 25th 03 02:57 AM