Old March 20th 04, 10:15 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default Isotron ??

If I'm treading old ground please excuse the post. Today at the local
hamfest I ran across a 20 meter Isotron that the seller touting. After
looking at its simplicity and hearing how great it was I couldn't resist
because it was only $10.00. So now that I have it, I'm curious as to the
theory behind it and how an 89 turn coil of No. 12 wire on a 3/4" piece of
PVC along with a 12" aluminum rod and a couple of aluminum plates can load
and dissipate 1000 watts. I've seen their ads for years and always thought
they were snake oil but at $10.00 I bit. Anyone really know the theory
behind these things?
tnx
Hank WD5JFR

Old March 20th 04, 10:50 PM
Richard Clark

On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:15:52 GMT, "Henry Kolesnik"
wrote:

If I'm treading old ground please excuse the post. Today at the local
hamfest I ran across a 20 meter Isotron that the seller touting. After
looking at its simplicity and hearing how great it was I couldn't resist
because it was only $10.00. So now that I have it, I'm curious as to the
theory behind it and how an 89 turn coil of No. 12 wire on a 3/4" piece of
PVC along with a 12" aluminum rod and a couple of aluminum plates can load
and dissipate 1000 watts. I've seen their ads for years and always thought
they were snake oil but at $10.00 I bit. Anyone really know the theory
behind these things?
tnx
Hank WD5JFR

Hi Hank,

This intersects with so many recent topics, it is hard to know where
to begin.

First, undoubtedly through the combination of capacitance (the plates)
the inductance (the windings) and radiation resistance, it resonates
and sheds heat like your grandmother's clothes iron. That it is so
small, it automatically removes it from concerns of being too big to
qualify as lumped components (I will bet the current into the coil
nearly equals the current into its other end).

Some claims bandied here would have us believe that its "high Q"
renders an efficiency (per unit length) unparalleled since the days of
Watt's steam engine. It must certainly be competitive with italian eh
models and show more gain than a Georgia AM station converted to cfa
(but only for the first 300 yards).

If none of this satisfies your quest for understanding; then you can,
of course, visit the vendor's site, observe their "how it works"
description and then find the exact same wording in an unbiased review
from 1996. ;-)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old March 20th 04, 11:51 PM
JGBOYLES

Today at the local
hamfest I ran across a 20 meter Isotron that the seller touting.

Anyone really know the theory
behind these things?

As far as I can tell the Isotron is a parallel tuned circuit. On 20M it
should work as well as any other antenna of the same size and height above
ground, cause it depends on feed line radiation, just like all the other
"small' antennas. On 20 it should do ok, but try one on 80 or 160M.

I would not put a 20M Isotron on the air if someone gave me one. There are
too many other ways to get out a decent signal. I might take it apart and use
the aluminum plates, PVC, and wire on a later project, though.

73 Gary N4AST

Old March 21st 04, 12:47 AM
JGBOYLES

I don't think the parts are worth $5.00 purchased retail.

I agree Hank, if you want something small and cheap on 20M, lots of
alternatives.
73 Gary N4AST

Old March 21st 04, 01:28 AM
Reg Edwards

The theory has been worked out for the last 100 years and your Isotron will
work exactly as the theory predicts.

Radiated power will be about 1 watt and the antenna itself will glow in the
dark.

I'm surprised you backward Yanks still believe sales blurbs. In Europe we
have what are known as "The Trades Description Acts" (Of parliament).
----
Reg.

Old March 21st 04, 01:38 AM
Henry Kolesnik

Reg

Yanks started on snake oil in the old west and can't break the habit. I'm a
Canuck and didn't get as exposed! But a little more info would be
appreciated. Also I'm wondering if the angle of the dangle on the Isotron
is important, hi..hi..
73
Hank WD5JFR

Old March 21st 04, 02:58 AM
CW

That is probably like our "truth in advertising" laws. They are on the books
but poorly enforced. It is, in most cases up to the consumer to enforce
these laws by lawsuit.

Old March 21st 04, 03:55 AM
'Doc

Hank,
I had one for 10 meters and it worked as well as any
generic 1/4 wave, sort of. Not my first choice, but if
you need an unobtrusive antenna, it works, and it's
better than nothing. Don't know about the 20 meter one,
but the 10 meter Isotron was a real P.I.T.A. to tune.
'Doc

PS - The thing about 'snake oil', most of it contained
alcohol. Drink enough of it and who cares if it works
or not...
Old March 21st 04, 12:53 PM
Reg Edwards

UK Trade Description Act, 1968.

It is an offence for a trader to apply a false or misleading description to
goods. (Note it is the trader, not the manufacturer, who is involved.)

All goods are covered except houses.

The local (the Council) Trading Standard Authorities are under a statutary
duty to enforce the act. The local Trading Standards Officer has powers of
entry, inspection and seizure of goods.

It is not the job of the Authority to obtain compensation for the offence
but to take steps necessary to prevent others from being deceived such as
confiscation of goods from shops.

It is up to the purchaser to take action in the civil courts for
compensation. With the support of the Authority he will very likely succeed.

But for the sake of a falsely-described, $10, second-hand radio antenna is
it worth the trouble?

The Trading Standards Officer would have to engage the services of
consultant radio engineers to conduct prolonged and expensive field trials
in order to prove the point.

A court of law would not accept a mere statement of Maxwells equations or
any of Terman's or Kraus's learned dissertations. A bewigged judge, of
course, would be well advised to seek the opinions to be found on this
newsgroup.
----
Reg, G4FGQ