Old August 8th 09, 03:27 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Cushcraft Sale to MFJ

I can't reach the Cushcraft website either, but I did run into an article
about MFJ Enterprises aquiring Cushcraft.

http://www.arrl.org/?artid=9114

Old August 8th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Good Morning
I personally don't think this is a good thing
Howard

Old August 8th 09, 05:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 7 Aug 2009 21:27:06 -0500, "Rollie"
wrote:

I can't reach the Cushcraft website either, but I did run into an article
about MFJ Enterprises aquiring Cushcraft.

http://www.arrl.org/?artid=9114

As a happy user of MFJ and Cushcraft products I think it is good. As I
recall, Cushcraft was bought as part of an antenna manufacturing
package that was mostly commercial antenna products. As such, it was
not as profitable as the other products and most felt it would be
eventually be shut down. It should thrive under the MFJ flag.

Old August 8th 09, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In
Gerald Simonowits wrote:

Why ?

Maybe because they already own Hy-Gain.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

Old August 9th 09, 01:53 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hello
Why you ask
Well I have owned a few MFJ products,and everyone of them failed,buy poor
parts and assembly.
Hence the MFJ stands for More F_cken Junk.
I have also herd horror stories about MFJ Buying Hygain,and the support for
Hygain products went right down the tubes.
With all my experience with MFJ products,I will pay the extra $$ and buy a
better product then they produce
Just my opinion about the company,sure there prices are cheap but there
price reflects the product
Howard

Old August 9th 09, 02:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Howard Kowall wrote:
... sure there prices are cheap but there price reflects the product

If MFJ's price to quality ratio was much
too low or much too high, they would go out of
business. Their success indicates that they hit
their target market and maybe even the bullseye.
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com
Old August 9th 09, 04:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
Howard Kowall wrote:
... sure there prices are cheap but there price reflects the product

If MFJ's price to quality ratio was much
too low or much too high, they would go out of
business. Their success indicates that they hit
their target market and maybe even the bullseye.

MFJ thrives, and that is because they are serving a niche market.

MFJ designs tend to be good, the execution isn't always so good.

That being said, they make their stuff for Amateurs, they make stuff
that I just wouldn't buy otherwise because it would be too expensive.
That's that first point above.

The metric I've always used for a person if they are thinking about
buying mfj is:

If you are a strict appliance operator, if you would send your radio
back to the mfgr to repair a defective power cord - don't even consider
MFJ. You need the added quality provided by a QC and rework department.
You need to pay for those people.

If you don't mind opening up the case or looking around inside your
radio, then you might like MFJ. If I have to tighten a bolt or two, or
check solder joints, I'm okay with that. I'm going to crack the case on
anything I get anyhow.

And how do you beat the warranty? My 259 antenna analyzer quit. I sent
it back and they sent me a new one. All I had to do was tell them I was
sending it.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old August 9th 09, 09:34 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Coslo[_2_] View Post
Cecil Moore wrote:
Howard Kowall wrote:
[...]

I agree 100% on the above statement

i mean theres so many types of people in this hobby now days some want a plug and play radio that uses a computer to work some want on hands some like working on there own radios some arent intrested in learning how to me thats why i got into the hobby was to test play with and work on my stuff thats what i enjoy doing if a person just wants to plug and play ( talk on ) then MFj might not be for you other wise its all good

ive been using MFJ products for years and will continue to enjoy those products for years to come

73's
Kc5fws
Old August 10th 09, 01:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"kc5fws" wrote in message

'Mike Coslo[_2_ Wrote:
;685462']Cecil Moore wrote:-
Howard Kowall wrote:-
[...]

I have bought MFJ products through retailers in the UK and direct from MFJ
in the States. The products do what they claim and are generally cheaper and
a lot less hassle than building it myself. MFJ seem to be quite happy for
customers to poke around inside the cases of their equipment and tightening
up the odd screw or rectifying a small fault is all part of the amateur
radio learning experience.

In my phone conversations with the factory I have always found them to be
very polite, helpful and professional.

I would recommend their products with the proviso that they are built to a
price point and you do need a certain level of knowledge to get the best out
of their products. I particularly like their range of manually tuned ATU's
and the antenna analysers. Pick an ATU with higher power handling if you are
going to operate close to the upper limits of any of their models and you
should be fine.

Regards

Mike G0ULI

Cushcraft A4S for sale r392 Equipment 1 June 11th 10 05:43 AM
Cushcraft A4S for sale r392 Boatanchors 0 November 29th 04 05:55 AM
Cushcraft A4S for sale r392 Boatanchors 0 November 29th 04 05:55 AM
Cushcraft A4S for sale r392 Equipment 0 November 29th 04 05:55 AM
Cushcraft A4S for sale r392 Equipment 0 November 29th 04 05:55 AM