Old September 7th 09, 01:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Coax Cable Question (Receiving Application Only)

Hello,

A few years ago I ran coax from the attic Scantenna down to a downstairs
room for my GRE Scanner.

Hard to remember now, but I believe I did it with the good low-loss LMR 100A
from the Wireman Co. with BNC connectors installed.

Have to move things around a bit now, and was wondering for these scanner
frequencies, as I need a
patch cable length of only a foot or two, does it really matter what type of
coax I use as long as the connectors are, e.g., BNC.

If I use the off the shelf stuff like RG58, is the only consideration the
coax attenuation for 2 feet, which I guess would be negligible (assuming BNC
connectors on it, though):

Do you agree that this would be O.K. to do, and that I probably would never
notice any difference
for a run of only 2 feet, irrespective of what type of cable I would use ?
(Receiving only application)

Thanks,
Bob

Old September 7th 09, 01:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

agreed, you will never notice the difference, except in your wallet.

Old September 7th 09, 03:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

Lmr 100 is some very small (about 1/8 inch) coax. If this is what you used,
almost any coax will have lower loss.

MOre likely you used some of the lmr 200 which is about 1/4 inch in dimeter.
In any case the loss in 2 feet of about anything will not be noticed on
receive. Even a piece of rg6 would be ok in your case. You might even want
to replace the whole run with the rg6 coax even if it is 70 ohm stuff
instead of 50 ohm coax.