Old September 30th 09, 05:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default fractals and HDTV antennas

Hi:

A month or so ago I say a PBS piece on fractals. The piece claimed that
the "technology" is used to make the antennas for cell phones.

Have any amateurs used "fractal technology" to form their antennas?

Also, I note that "they" market HDTV antennas that are about the size of a
book. Do these things work? What's inside them?

Yours,

JLG

Old September 30th 09, 07:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 00:46:28 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

Hi:

A month or so ago I say a PBS piece on fractals. The piece claimed that
the "technology" is used to make the antennas for cell phones.

Have any amateurs used "fractal technology" to form their antennas?

-sigh-

Any? Yes.
Many? No.

Also, I note that "they" market HDTV antennas that are about the size of a
book. Do these things work?

They work about as hard as Bernie Madoff worked.

The most enthusiastic fractal supporters here are those who never
built any, couldn't show you a design if they were forced to google
for one, and pound their breast about how modern inventors are reviled
in their own neighborhood. The most successful merchant who has dared
post here would sue you if you tried to make your own.

What's inside them?

Wire (metal). Same as any antenna.

What makes you ask?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old October 1st 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

What makes you ask?

Because I want to get some help in deciding whether to buy one or not.

Old October 2nd 09, 01:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 16:58:13 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

What makes you ask?

Because I want to get some help in deciding whether to buy one or not.

Buy a fractal antenna? What a novel concept. Do you have an example?

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old October 2nd 09, 09:03 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

What makes you ask?

Because I want to get some help in deciding whether to buy one or not.

Buy a fractal antenna? What a novel concept. Do you have an example?

I saw on in a Big Box store (Target or Wally World). It said "Patented
Technology."

I was thinking of something for use in a high rise condo now vacent. When
I lived there years ago it was possible to get about 10 or so TV stations
with whatever rabbit ears that came with the TV.

I have been around for awhile. I rememble a "miracle" TV antenna that was
just a weight covered with plastic, for example. So I am wondering
whether there is something that works like a "miracle" or are rabbit ears
the state of the art for a antenna. Trouble is that with flat screen TVs,
there isn't any place to put rabbit ears!

Old October 2nd 09, 03:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

What makes you ask?
Because I want to get some help in deciding whether to buy one or not.

Buy a fractal antenna? What a novel concept. Do you have an example?

I saw on in a Big Box store (Target or Wally World). It said "Patented
Technology."

I was thinking of something for use in a high rise condo now vacent. When
I lived there years ago it was possible to get about 10 or so TV stations
with whatever rabbit ears that came with the TV.

I have been around for awhile. I rememble a "miracle" TV antenna that was
just a weight covered with plastic, for example. So I am wondering
whether there is something that works like a "miracle" or are rabbit ears
the state of the art for a antenna. Trouble is that with flat screen TVs,
there isn't any place to put rabbit ears!

If you're close, try the rabbit ears. If not, try a small yagi. Fractal
antennas are probably not the solution for you. One might work, but high
performance is not what they are about. They are about large bandwidth
in a small space. But it's the definition of small space that is the issue.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old October 2nd 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 04:03:17 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

What makes you ask?

Because I want to get some help in deciding whether to buy one or not.

Buy a fractal antenna? What a novel concept. Do you have an example?

I saw on in a Big Box store (Target or Wally World). It said "Patented
Technology."

Hardly a recommendation when the technology is a corriolis force
applied left hand threaded (gaussian) screw holding the maker's plaque
to the merchandise.

I was thinking of something for use in a high rise condo now vacent. When
I lived there years ago it was possible to get about 10 or so TV stations
with whatever rabbit ears that came with the TV.

I have been around for awhile. I rememble a "miracle" TV antenna that was
just a weight covered with plastic, for example. So I am wondering
whether there is something that works like a "miracle" or are rabbit ears
the state of the art for a antenna. Trouble is that with flat screen TVs,
there isn't any place to put rabbit ears!

Calling it fractal won't add a horizontal surface to a flat screen to
sit the antenna on; and it won't remove the necessity of turning the
antenna 90 degrees to catch the signal and poking you in the eye with
"patented technology."

Take a conventional rabbit ears antenna, lay it in the driveway, drive
over it for the next of the week; and DON'T report here how well your
fractal works when you put it up or you might get a cease-and-desist
notice from a lawyer representing a recent Nova whore.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old September 30th 09, 11:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John Gilmer" wrote in message
net...
Hi:

A month or so ago I say a PBS piece on fractals. The piece claimed that
the "technology" is used to make the antennas for cell phones.

That might be true. There's certainly material on the www about research
into fractal antennas that can be Googled, such as
http://ceta.mit.edu/pierb/pierb14/07.09030802.pdf

Have any amateurs used "fractal technology" to form their antennas?

Also, I note that "they" market HDTV antennas that are about the size of a
book. Do these things work? What's inside them?

As you may realise, terrestrial broadcasting provides a large margin for a
lot of households which makes it possible to receive good signals in some
areas using a dead sheep. Consequently indoor television antennas are sold
in a variety of styles and, at some locations, some of them work - even if
they have meagre electrical characteristics. Unfortunately, there is a
tendency for unqualified folklore to arise about antennas that appear to
work (in particular circumstances). The DVB-T system used in Europe is
particularly resistant to multipath distortion, which helps.

Some book-sized efforts contain a PCB bow tie in front of a plane reflector.
In others, the shapes of the elements are fiddled around with like
http://www.instructables.com/id/How_...DTV_DTV_plus_/

Chris

Old October 12th 09, 03:19 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Some book-sized efforts contain a PCB bow tie in front of a plane reflector.
In others, the shapes of the elements are fiddled around with likehttp://www.instructables.com/id/How_to_make_a_fractal_antenna_for_HDT...

Chris

You are just asking to be sued by Nathan "Chip" Cohen, PhD.

Old October 12th 09, 11:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Frank" wrote in message

Some book-sized efforts contain a PCB bow tie in front of a plane
reflector.
In others, the shapes of the elements are fiddled around with
likehttp://www.instructables.com/id/How_to_make_a_fractal_antenna_for_HDT...

Chris

You are just asking to be sued by Nathan "Chip" Cohen, PhD.

Why's that then?

Chris

HDTV antenna Cecil Moore[_2_] Antenna 4 April 30th 08 09:19 PM
Over the air HDTV: report American Insurgent Shortwave 30 August 22nd 07 05:19 PM
HDTV suggestions? marc CB 1 July 14th 06 10:14 PM
HDTV Antennas aRKay Antenna 8 April 6th 06 09:34 PM
Portable HDTV Set Too_Many_Tools Equipment 30 October 31st 05 10:02 PM