Old October 7th 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Focused EMP pulse?

Richard Clark wrote:
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 13:38:10 -0400, Michael Coslo
wrote:

Is my theory about RF energy being little turds that fly off an antenna
in agreement or disagreement with those particels?

Yes, particels and these specimens are in fact derived from the same
source.

I'll refresh everyone if they didn't hear it before.

RF energy consists of little packets of waste material, like little
turds, that get ejected from an antenna (as the last link in the chain
as new material flows into the antenna. This is obvious as a
characteristic of conservation of mass as well as general digestion.

One must expand on this to include impedance matching ointments such
as Preparation H (and the lowering of transmission line restriction
losses with Ex-Lax). Can it be said that diamagnetism is like a
greasy lube job for propagation?

These little turds leave the antenna with great velocity. While flying
through the air, they are naturally attracted to other antennas (derived
from holistic like treats like principles) and are therefore received on
other radios.

If they are to be circularly polarized, they will need a corriolis
evacuation.

The result and characteristics of this process are that unless
transmissions match reception, which is almost impossible, the little
turds accumulate on our antennas, and over time result in crappy
performance.

It must be true - evidence AM talk shows.

Dayum, you're Good! I think the theory has had the finishing touches and
is fully formed. This turd is polished!

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old October 8th 09, 08:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Richard Clark" wrote
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 09:34:50 -0400, Michael Coslo
wrote:

Even though I know you're having some fun here Richard, your division by
pulse assumes that the effects are linear.

Yes, they are. However, for some members who contribute to this group
insofar as postings about ejected particels and Luxembourg effect,
non-linearities may abound.

I am posting about such antennas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileipolentstehung.gif
Whwt is wrong here?
S*

Old October 8th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Clark wrote:

EMP is a fast charge/discharge event. EMP products come in three
flavors, I will only discuss the fastest. The fastest is rarely
described with a risetime less than 1nS, but I have seen others bandy
about the frequency of 10GHz, so we have to assume they have links to
literature that claim a risetime on the order of 33pS. Be that as it
may, mercury switches can switch a 1000V pulse into a 50Ohm load in
500ps. This is laboratory stuff, not armament. Armament can be
engineered to perform with larger supplies as one-shot disposable
switches (you don't run lab equipment to failure, new out of the box
on the first application of power). Such switches are controlled
access and limited sale items.

To generate this 10GHz pulse would require very, very short very, very
low resistance leads; which would, of course, become part of a tuned
(to 10GHz) circuit. The trigger device often employs a charge driven
shorting bar. It is only a matter of capacitance and low resistance
metalurgy from there.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

One might want to distinguish between EMP from, e.g. a nuclear device,
which is a fast pulse (the rise time of which is fundamentally limited
by the size of the fireball.. EM energy from the far side takes longer
to get to you than the near side)

AND

EM weapons designed to create damage similar to that from EMP.

Those are usually high peak power microwave sources with moderately long
pulses, designed to put enough energy into the victim to cause the damage.

There is also, the much talked about and demonstrated broadband pulse
generator schemes... some sort of fast discharge into a broadband
antenna (often a bowtie).. You see these demonstrated as built into an
attache case. Put the briefcase EMP generator next to the victim
electronics, trigger the bang, look! dead PC.

This is typically a few hundred joules with a low inductance pulse cap
charged to a few kV or 10s of kV, discharging through a triggered spark
gap.

Ground Pulse Radar does a very similar thing (with better calibration,
lower powers, etc.)

This thing is used to encourage funding of countermeasures or funding of
"bigger and better" versions, particularly in front of folks who don't
understand things like inverse square law.
Old October 8th 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Clark wrote:

The capacitor is called a Marx bank (some cold-war irony there) in a
Explosively Pumped Flux Compression Generator. There are issues of
self shorting inductors wound around cylindrical explosive charges and
reams of discussion which all basically devolves to very simple and
fundamental LC with peak IR relationships.

Erwin Marx of the eponymous Marx bank has no connection to the Marx of
political theory. Marx published his papers describing the design of
his impulse generator in the teens or twenties, as I recall.

Flux compression generators are different. I suppose one could use a
FCG to charge a Marx bank, which would self erect, but I don't know that
would buy much in a weapons context.

The discharge time of a Marx is limited by the stage
capacitance/inductance. The fact that you stack a bunch in series helps
reduce the C, but the series L and R exactly counteracts it. The big
advantage is that once you get outside the generator, higher voltage
lets you have higher di/dt on the rest of the circuit, but that presumes
the rise time of the Marx is faster than the limit imposed by the load
R/L/C.

There are better ways to make very fast high voltage pulses, if that's
your goal. Fruengel's books on "pulse discharge" provide a plethora of
ideas.

Ultimately, the limit is the propagation speed in the conductors (so
schemes using transmission lines are popular: Blumlein published one in
the 40s(?) that's used a lot)

Old October 8th 09, 08:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 10:19:47 -0700, Jim Lux
wrote:

One might want to distinguish between EMP from, e.g. a nuclear device,
which is a fast pulse (the rise time of which is fundamentally limited
by the size of the fireball.. EM energy from the far side takes longer
to get to you than the near side)

Hi Jim,

Actually, a nuclear detonation propagates three forms of EMP. We both
discussed the fastest which correlates to discussions ongoing here in
the 1GHz and higher spectrum.

I will leave it to Art to wonder of the mysteries of an atom bomb
pushing aside magnetic field lines (what? no equilibrium?) for the
slowest pulse. For purposes of Focusing this EMP pulse he has his
shoebox sized 160M dipole/reflector technology to fall back on.
Perhaps he might consider a nuclear hand grenade. I would love to see
a youtube video of him pulling that pin and tossing it into the
reflector.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

rf pulse width measurement JIMMIE Antenna 3 November 4th 07 01:46 AM
pulse radio help ml Antenna 2 April 6th 06 05:16 PM
UWB pulse signal has no DC? Why? Harry Antenna 39 October 3rd 05 11:07 PM
pulse transformers Ken Scharf Homebrew 16 May 22nd 04 06:14 AM
pulse transformers Ken Scharf Homebrew 0 May 15th 04 09:38 PM