Old October 24th 09, 09:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Disconne Question

Hello,

For a Disconne in the attic (for vhf/uhf), receiving only, do you think a
wet roof from rain would make
a "meaningful" difference in reception ?

Bob

Old October 24th 09, 11:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

No.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old October 25th 09, 10:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

For a Disconne in the attic (for vhf/uhf), receiving only, do you think a
wet roof from rain would make
a "meaningful" difference in reception ?

Bob

Depends on the type of roof and frequency you're working. If the roof
absorbs (small amounts of) water, or if water can stand on the roof,
then I'd say: Yes. Wet trees can also absorb radio waves better then dry
ones. Don't see why roofs are any different.
HF will suffer most, VHF and UHF will probably not be affected as much.
But I've spoken to a local 2m amateur with indoor antenna who claimed to
notice the difference between wet and dry.

--
RigReference.com - Reference guide for ham radio equipment
http://rigreference.com/
Old October 25th 09, 11:33 PM
Senior Member

Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH5E View Post
Robert11 wrote:
Hello,

For a Disconne in the attic (for vhf/uhf), receiving only, do you think a
wet roof from rain would make
a "meaningful" difference in reception ?

Bob

Depends on the type of roof and frequency you're working. If the roof
absorbs (small amounts of) water, or if water can stand on the roof,
then I'd say: Yes. Wet trees can also absorb radio waves better then dry
ones. Don't see why roofs are any different.
HF will suffer most, VHF and UHF will probably not be affected as much.
But I've spoken to a local 2m amateur with indoor antenna who claimed to
notice the difference between wet and dry.

--
RigReference.com - Reference guide for ham radio equipment
http://rigreference.com/
Other than the noise floor being a little lower when it rains,not really. You'll get varying opinions on this I'm sure,but I notice little if any difference.
N9ZAS
Old October 26th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

. Wet trees can also absorb radio waves better then dry
ones.

Trees have vascular systems so are "wet" all the time. Dry trees are
dead trees,

http://www.biology4kids.com/files/pl...lemphloem.html

Old October 26th 09, 12:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Bill wrote:
. Wet trees can also absorb radio waves better then dry
ones.

Trees have vascular systems so are "wet" all the time. Dry trees are
dead trees,

http://www.biology4kids.com/files/pl...lemphloem.html

You must live where it never freezes. The difference between summer
and winter on 2m and up is certainly noticeable and measurable here in
Minnesota.

tom
K0TAR
Old October 26th 09, 12:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Bill wrote:
. Wet trees can also absorb radio waves better then dry
ones.

Trees have vascular systems so are "wet" all the time. Dry trees are
dead trees,

http://www.biology4kids.com/files/pl...lemphloem.html

Oops, forgot to say that water, even with the contaminants of life in
it, doesn't conduct very well when frozen.

tom
K0TAR
Old October 27th 09, 02:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Oct 26, 8:19*am, tom wrote:
Bill wrote:
. Wet trees can also absorb radio waves better then dry
ones.

Trees have vascular systems so are "wet" all the time. Dry trees are
dead trees,

http://www.biology4kids.com/files/pl...lemphloem.html

You must live where it never freezes.

The original question had to do with rain, did it not? Not ice.

* The difference between summer
and winter on 2m and up is certainly noticeable and measurable here in
Minnesota.

tom
K0TAR

And the difference is attributed to what?

Old October 27th 09, 02:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Oct 26, 8:35*am, tom wrote:
Bill wrote:
. Wet trees can also absorb radio waves better then dry
ones.

Trees have vascular systems so are "wet" all the time. Dry trees are
dead trees,

http://www.biology4kids.com/files/pl...lemphloem.html

Oops, forgot to say that water, even with the contaminants of life in
it, doesn't conduct very well when frozen.

tom
K0TAR

The original question had to do with interference with radio
reception, not with conduction.

Old October 27th 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

Bill wrote:
On Oct 26, 8:19 am, tom wrote:
Bill wrote:
. Wet trees can also absorb radio waves better then dry
ones.
Trees have vascular systems so are "wet" all the time. Dry trees are
dead trees,
http://www.biology4kids.com/files/pl...lemphloem.html

You must live where it never freezes.

The original question had to do with rain, did it not? Not ice.

I was responding to "wet" versus "dead".

The difference between summer
and winter on 2m and up is certainly noticeable and measurable here in
Minnesota.

And the difference is attributed to what?

Very very simple physics.

tom
K0TAR