Old February 6th 10, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Hazer for Utility Pole?

A friend gave me a forty foot Utility pole. Since I am not a climber I
have not determined how to make the best of this in my continual
antenna tinkering. I keep coming back to the hazer transit method. The
device would be complicated by the fact that the pole is about 12
inches in diameter at the bottom and 6 inches at the top. I expect to
bury 5 feet of it. I hope to construct the device so that there is
NEVER a need to climb the pole. The galvanized wire rope on my Crank
up mast that I purchased in the late 1970's is still looking fine.

Any experience or ideas are appreciated!

BTW, Any idea why this tram mechanism is called a "hazer?"
John Ferrell W8CCW
Old February 7th 10, 01:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 6, 8:29*pm, John Ferrell wrote:
A friend gave me a forty foot Utility pole. Since I am not a climber I
have not determined how to make the best of this in my continual
antenna tinkering. I keep coming back to the hazer transit method. The
device would be complicated by the fact that the pole is about 12
inches in diameter at the bottom and 6 inches at the top. I expect to
bury 5 feet of it. I hope to construct the device so that there is
NEVER a need to climb the pole. The galvanized wire rope on my Crank
up mast that I purchased in the late 1970's is still looking fine.

Any experience or ideas are appreciated!

BTW, Any idea why this tram mechanism is called a "hazer?"
John Ferrell W8CCW

Hazer is a brand name of GlenMartin towers: http://www.glenmartin.com/catalog/page10.html,
maybe it was the guy that originally designed it, or it could have
just sounded neat to marketing.

what type of antennas are you planning on putting on the pole?
personally i would put a couple of good screw eyes with pulleys and
run some decent rope through them and use it for wires.
Old February 7th 10, 03:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 05:02:58 -0800 (PST), Dave wrote:

Hazer is a brand name of GlenMartin towers: http://www.glenmartin.com/catalog/page10.html,
maybe it was the guy that originally designed it, or it could have
just sounded neat to marketing.

what type of antennas are you planning on putting on the pole?
personally i would put a couple of good screw eyes with pulleys and
run some decent rope through them and use it for wires.

I think the word "Lift" is probably the most accurate term to use.
There is a good series on YouTube referring to "AntennaVater" for the
same type of device.

I want to keep the structure as general as possible so I can continue
to experiment with a broad range of Ham antennas from DC to light. I
shy away from rope because of the limited life expectancy.
John Ferrell W8CCW
Old February 7th 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 7, 7:22*am, John Ferrell wrote:
On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 05:02:58 -0800 (PST), Dave wrote:

Hazer is a brand name of GlenMartin towers:http://www.glenmartin.com/catalog/page10.html,
maybe it was the guy that originally designed it, or it could have
just sounded neat to marketing.

what type of antennas are you planning on putting on the pole?
personally i would put a couple of good screw eyes with pulleys and
run some decent rope through them and use it for wires.

I think the word "Lift" is probably the most accurate term to use.
There is a good series *on YouTube referring to "AntennaVater" for the
same type of device.

I want to keep the structure as general as possible so I can continue
to experiment with a broad range of Ham *antennas from DC to light. I
shy away from rope because of the limited life expectancy.
John Ferrell W8CCW

Limited life expectancy????? I am still using some ropes I bought in
the 1960's. Some type of synthetic material nicely woven into a 3/8
inch rope. You need to investigate further, or buy some better class
of rope!

Paul, KD7HB
Old February 8th 10, 11:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 7, 7:18*pm, " wrote:
[...]

agreed. for something not accessible like that you need decent uv
resistant dacron. that is readily available and lasts for many years
under load. Check it periodically for wear and pull replacements up
as needed without climbing. if the pole is going to have cables
running up to feedpoints then use wire rope, just be sure to use big
enough blocks with the right materials.

Old February 9th 10, 10:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 15:14:59 -0800 (PST), Dave wrote:

On Feb 7, 7:18*pm, " wrote:
On Feb 7, 7:22*am, John Ferrell wrote:

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 05:02:58 -0800 (PST), Dave wrote:

Limited life expectancy????? I am still using some ropes I bought in
the 1960's. Some type of synthetic material nicely woven into a 3/8
inch rope. You need to investigate further, or buy some better class
of rope!

Paul, KD7HB

I will keep that in mind. I have about 250 feet of blue 3/8" Nylon
that was my primary anchor rope from my sail boating days. It has
served from time to time as a temporary guy line for ham radio.
However, to hoist the fixture a winch with a brake sounds more
convenient.
John Ferrell W8CCW
Old February 10th 10, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 7, 7:18*pm, " wrote:
On Feb 7, 7:22*am, John Ferrell wrote:

On Sun, 7 Feb 2010 05:02:58 -0800 (PST), Dave wrote:

Limited life expectancy????? I am still using some ropes I bought in
the 1960's. Some type of synthetic material nicely woven into a 3/8
inch rope. You need to investigate further, or buy some better class
of rope!

Paul, KD7HB

I will keep that in mind. I have about 250 feet of blue 3/8" Nylon
that was my primary anchor rope from my sail boating days. It has
served from time to time as a temporary guy line for ham radio.
However, to hoist the fixture a winch with a brake sounds more
convenient.
John Ferrell W8CCW

John, I think my ropes are dacron, as mentioned. That stuff really
lasts!!!! I still have two dacron sweaters my mother bought for me
when I started high school back in 1953. Still fit and have never worn
out. I haven't seen dacron ropes for a long time.

Paul, KD7HB

Old February 11th 10, 01:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Ferrell wrote:
A friend gave me a forty foot Utility pole. Since I am not a climber I
have not determined how to make the best of this in my continual
antenna tinkering. I keep coming back to the hazer transit method. The
device would be complicated by the fact that the pole is about 12
inches in diameter at the bottom and 6 inches at the top. I expect to
bury 5 feet of it. I hope to construct the device so that there is
NEVER a need to climb the pole. The galvanized wire rope on my Crank
up mast that I purchased in the late 1970's is still looking fine.

Any experience or ideas are appreciated!

The Glen Martin hazer looks like (I've never seen one in person) it uses
the tower as a track, and the constant cross section is key. The taper
of the utility pole sorta kills that idea, so maybe some kind of curtain
track turned vertical is what you need, something industrial like the
kind used in theaters. Bolt it straight to the pole and fabricate a
trolley to carry a rotor, thrust bearing, etc. Once you get the trolley
to the top wrap the cables around the pole in a spiral to keep them from
flopping around in the wind. I'd use a galvanized wire rope as opposed
to something plastic to pull and hold it up.

BTW, Any idea why this tram mechanism is called a "hazer?"
John Ferrell W8CCW

I have no idea at all, I thought it might have been something nautical
but dictionary searches don't show that at all.

- Galen, W8LNA
Old February 12th 10, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Feb 10, 5:28*pm, Jim Lux wrote:
wrote:

John, I think my ropes are dacron, as mentioned. That stuff really
lasts!!!! I still have two dacron sweaters my mother bought for me
when I started high school back in 1953. Still fit and have never worn
out. I haven't seen dacron ropes for a long time.

Paul, KD7HB

Sure, you've seen Dacron ropes, just not under that name. *Dacron is a
trade name for a particular form of Polyethylene Terephthalte (PET), aka
Polyester. Beverage bottles are a big use of PET, but a lot more winds
up as fabric or rope. *In film form, one trade name is Mylar.
(originally, it was called Terylene, but Dupont called it Dacron,
probably because it sounded better, and it was similar to Nylon, another
Dupont product..)

You see it labeled as "polyester" rope these days (probably because
DuPont's patents have expired, so anyone can make the stuff, but only
DuPont can call it Dacron)

Thanks, Jim.

Paul

Anyone out there using a HAZER on their Rohn 25 Tower? Jim[_7_] Antenna 4 November 11th 08 05:38 PM
Voyager Hazer ..?? Bill Antenna 0 December 21st 05 11:32 PM
FS Hazer H-3 to Belton, Texas Charlie Hugg Boatanchors 0 September 27th 05 06:15 PM
Hazer H-3 FS to Belton Charlie Hugg Swap 0 September 27th 05 06:12 PM
FS: ROHN GIN POLE AND HAZER 25G AL GOSS Swap 0 March 5th 04 02:47 PM